Anybody with dreadlocks? If so, post pics

AiRodney23 wrote:
LMAO @ that .gif.

But on-topic, I'm growing my hair out right now fo dreads. Been about 5 months, in the afro stage. It's mad frustrating, I'm impatient.

IVE been growing mine 4 a year .........i had curls to cover up for the afro (curls>>>>>>>>>afro)now i got individuals

i had dreads, but i cut them shortly after im in the military now man i wish i was a civilian again sometimes. post starter your hair was clean why did you cutit?

Also can get expensive if you cant find some girl to palm roll/retwist your hair for cheap. I tried doin it myself but my arms cramp up after like 20 minutes,just don't have that self hairstyling endurance..

^That is exactly why I don't have dreadlocks

i've ben growing my hair for over two years but i don't plan on ever loccing them up, when you finally get tired of the dread you have to cut it alloff, no thank you. I will keep the double strand twist and the cornrows and when that gets boring i will rock a ponytail

Originally Posted by 18th letter

yeah so i decided to try and get them..what are some of the basics i need to know?

Um, well first you're going to want to find somebody to do your grid. To start you off. If you don't plan on keeping your hair up yourself, thenestablish a good relationship with someone who knows your hair and be ready to pony up anywhere between 50-70 every so often. I remember going to one shoptrying to get mine re-done and some girl put black beeswax in my hair. That stuff was disgusting and it got all over my pillows, just a huge mess. I ended uphaving to start all over.

How long is your btw? If it's not at least 3 inches, it's going to be a big B to maintain on your own. I tried that and it was hella hard trying towash my hair and re-twist them again.

Personally, I couldn't afford that 50-70 every so often. Not being in college with no job, so I went with the "do it myself" method.

I have a bottle of foam wrap by motions, a bottle of freezing gel by suave, and a leave in conditioner. I wash my hair on average, every two weeks and thenjust re-twist and blow dry them out. It does take time though. I usually watch a movie while i'm re-twisting them though.

if you in college, you good. I just rocked du rags and fitteds until mt joints were of respectable length. Cameout and people was like "how tha hell u gone pop up with dreads"
laugh.gif
I'da grown em in HS, but my HS wouldnt let us rock fitteds or du rags, so I just waited till I graduated HS.

but yea its mad easy to make it through the rough stage if you just keep ya joint du ragged up. also, whatever you don't try that natural let them dowhatever you want stuff. you will get to a stage where u dont have to do as much, but its important that you get em done professional and keep em maintainedlike every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks early on.

id post mine, but for some odd reason I dont even have any pics where u can really see em

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i want them but i REFUSE to go through the "ugly stage" i might just wear a fro' or press my hair until its a decent length to lock up...

I feel you on this, I'm in the process of getting dreads too and I'm just getting braids until I get that length in more.

Here's mines...

I got them done after about 5 months because I couldn't stand wearing an afro. Thaey about 7 months old now. I also started twisting two together so theywill be larger.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

if you in college, you good. I just rocked du rags and fitteds until mt joints were of respectable length. Came out and people was like "how tha hell u gone pop up with dreads"
laugh.gif

I swear thats what im doing right now
laugh.gif

But for the people growing them, dont let anyone try to discourage you to cut them. Just wait and results will come
pimp.gif

i want them but i REFUSE to go through the "ugly stage" i might just wear a fro' or press my hair until its a decent length to lock up...

hey... but if you ever decise to cut your dreads.. you might have to go almost bald... just keep that in mind...

so dont do dreads unless you plan on keeping it...

Fanatic15 wrote:
^I think in between a certain age for men it's seen as immature, like braids, designs cut or any other perceived "urban" hair style. If you are a black male between like 25 and 35 and trying to establish yourself in a corporate setting, it may be a set back. When in college or around that age, it's not as much of an issue. Kind of like Tattoos and piercings. You can't tell a 40 yr old a tattoo or piercing is immature it just doesn't make a difference after a certain point imo.
beg to differ...i work in downtown San Francisco and i see corporate cats with dreads all the time. men and women when i think about it. i also havedreads and i work @ a law firm. i think now days its much more accepted than before. i notice that white people complement me the most on my dreads.

Originally Posted by kidKiDd

I feel you on this, I'm in the process of getting dreads too and I'm just getting braids until I get that length in more.
kidKiDd.....if your going to get them you should start now. when you get braids first your prolonging the ugly stage when you twist themup. im tellin you start now!!!

Originally Posted by PeterJamesThe3rd

hey... but if you ever decise to cut your dreads.. you might have to go almost bald... just keep that in mind...

why do you have to go almost bald?

Originally Posted by 18th letter

once you dread...its almost impossible to get your dreads out by brushing and combing them out... the only way to get out of having the dreads is to cutyour hair to the bottom of the dread... thus you got to go so close to your scalp that it looks almost bald...

nah you can comb them out, except youll lose made hair and itll hurt like a b...

cutting it off is easier

18th letter wrote:

PeterJamesThe3rd wrote:

mytmouse76 wrote:

once you dread...its almost impossible to get your dreads out by brushing and combing them out... the only way to get out of having the dreads is to cut
your hair to the bottom of the dread... thus you got to go so close to your scalp that it looks almost bald...

That's not true. You can curt your dreads til about 3 or 4 inches and then soak them in a strong conditioner for a few hours and then comb them out.I'm sure it hurts, but you don't have to go completely bald

Back
Top Bottom