Anyone care to school me on Bank CDS?

considering getting into a bank cd. want some insights on whats the best way to use these?

Originally Posted by TBwsf

considering getting into a bank cd. want some insights on whats the best way to use these?
The rates right now are horrible, most of them aren't even that much higher than a typical high yield savings account you can open onlinewithout a limit.

I'll just make bullets to make it easier to read.

-There are various type of CD's based on how long you want to have the account for. The longer the term, the higher the rate.
-There's usually a minimum you need to meet to open a CD.
-Some places require you to have the entire monetary amount in there, if you take anything out...CD will end and you will be in the penalty.
-Other places let you take out the interest, or the whole thing.
-Read the fine print carefully, as some CD's will automatically renew when it the period is coming to an end.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by TBwsf

The rates right now are horrible, most of them aren't even that much higher than a typical high yield savings account you can open online without a limit.

I'll just make bullets to make it easier to read.

-There are various type of CD's based on how long you want to have the account for. The longer the term, the higher the rate.
-There's usually a minimum you need to meet to open a CD.
-Some places require you to have the entire monetary amount in there, if you take anything out...CD will end and you will be in the penalty.
-Other places let you take out the interest, or the whole thing.
-Read the fine print carefully, as some CD's will automatically renew when it the period is coming to an end.

I worked at a bank for almost 4 years. The rates are the worst they've ever been. wj4 got everything right. Stay away right now. It's not worth it.Open a savings account online with somewhere offering at least 2%. CD rates are below that at this point in most places.

Back
Top Bottom