Anyone checking out the Olympics torch relay?

Must be exciting. They're competing to be the one to put out the flame. It's like there own Olympic event.Which leaves one question, who will succeed?

i suggest people read up on the situation on Tibet before they make comments about the people protesting. The reason why large amounts of people are protestingNOW is because with the Olympic torch, it will be viewed by the GLOBAL audience. I also heard on tv that people all over the country as well as other countriescame to SF to help support the protest.

Honestly, their protesting in a way is working because millions of people are gaining knowing on the situations that the people are protesting.

SF protest were held under control and there were no acts of reported violence (unless you count verbal arguments as an act of violence)

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

McFlyer wrote:

why are there a rediclous(sp.) amount of white people protesting?

Cause most white people have nothing better to do than protest. Things are so good for them that they feel that they have to solve everyone elses
problems. (I'm white, I just have other things to do like survive)

you are an idiot.

This is in regards to the UK run but the same Chinese Paramilitary detail are in San Fran. Chinese Paramilitary beating British citizens in Britain. Funnyain't it? Maybe those conspiracy theorists were on to something after all.
laugh.gif

[h1]Top Chinese Cops Protect Olympic Flame[/h1]
By ANITA CHANG - 20 hours ago

BEIJING (AP) - They wear bright blue tracksuits and Beijing Olympic organizers call them "flame attendants." But a military bearing hints at their true pedigree: paramilitary police sent by Beijing to guard the Olympic flame during its journey around the world.

Torchbearers have criticized the security detail for aggressive behavior, and a top London Olympics official simply called them "thugs."

"They were barking orders at me, like 'Run! Stop! This! That!' and I was like, 'Oh my gosh, who are these people?'" former television host Konnie Huq told British Broadcasting Corp. radio about her encounter with the men in blue during London's leg of the relay Sunday.

So far, the "29th Olympic Games Torch Relay Flame Protection Unit" - as the squad is officially known - has kept the flame from being seized during chaotic, protest-filled runs through Paris and London.

Its mettle is likely to be further tested Wednesday in San Francisco, where activists protesting China's crackdown in Tibet and its human rights record have promised widespread demonstrations.

Officially, Beijing has said only that the unit's mission was to guard the flame, in keeping with practices of past Olympic games.

Members were picked from special police units of the People's Armed Police, China's internal security force. The requirements for the job: to be "tall, handsome, mighty, in exceptional physical condition similar to that of professional athletes," the state-run China News Service said.

Special police units are the top tier of the paramilitary corps, chosen for skills in martial arts, marksmanship and hand-to-hand combat, according to sinodefence.com, a British-based Web site specializing in Chinese military affairs.

Full Article

1996 summer olympics

They ran that ##%## through the ghetto!! STRAIGHT DOWN Campbellton Rd for all my Atlanta people. I went to the top of my street and saw it. Pics later? ShouldI?

yo . Rog Mathai, the broadcaster for NBC11 here in the bay area said that the Chinese Government made the plan. He was a torchbearer, he would know... i thinkits jacked that people from all over the US and world came to see the torch and were unable to see it.

Mayor Gavin Newsome pulled the old "switcharoo" and detoured the route. SMH at him though, saying that he did it to protect the runners and thetorch. Bull. Everybody knows he did it to avoid the protesters. And that left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, both pro and anti china.

But on another note, didn't they know this was gonna happen in SF? I mean c'mon, this is the most liberal city in the United States.

lol Newsome was slick as hell. I don't get why people want to see a dumb flame anyway. It was like 2 blocks form my apartment and I didn't even thinkabout going

I gotta question or a couple

How do the Chinese community in SF or wherever in the US feel about these Protest?

Are they looking right past it because they are happy the Olympic games are in China?

Or do they feel the need to protest and voice their concerns about Human Rights rights issues in that part of the world?

Im asking because I'm wondering if they (Chinese Americans) feel they're obligated to speak up for the Chinese, their own people, that aren'tallowed a voice in China because of censorship

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

(one lady tried, she dressed like a runner, but security told her to get out)

Thats pretty damn clever
laugh.gif

She was actually one of the athletes/runners that was supposed to be carrying it, she just showed her own form of support by pulling out a tibetan flagand they shut her down immediately.

Back
Top Bottom