Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

i used to when i was younger. have two big *** binders filled with mostly baseball cards, but have some basketball, football and hockey as well. i actually went through them a few months back. was pretty cool going through the cards and seeing players i thought would be stars. i had a Gabe Kapler rookie card and thought it was gonna be big money :lol:

When my wife and I first got together as teenagers, I used to spend weekends at her house. We'd wake up Saturday morning, drive a couple blocks to the local shop. Spend an hour or two in there pickin stuff up.
Then we'd drive down the street to another one, spend another hour, grab more stuff.
Then we would cross town to another shop, yet another hour or so. (this one was her favorite, because it had a Braves only binder that she could scour)
Then we would head to the other side of town, and hit TWO more shops!!!! 1 day, we'd hit five shops. I would buy stuff from every single one.

Come back home, and bust open every pack, every box, etc.

Then when I would go back home for the week, I would throw them on my desk, and spend the rest of the week at night filing them away in a system I had.

When I sold everything, I was at about..........

13-14 monster boxes full.
25+ binders (I still have 2, the only cards I still own)
Maybe, 75-100 of the 600 count boxes.
Easily over 120+ regular boxes like the ones packs would come in, I would store cards in those.
Probably a dozen or so shoe boxes, smaller boxes, tins, whatever else had cards in them.

I had an entire spare bedroom for my cards when her and I first got married and got our own apartment.

Like I said, it was my life. Handed down to me by my father. It was all I knew. I knew card numbers, what year they were on sight, hot rookies, stats off the back, hidden "gems", errors, beckets, everything. Baseball, football, basketball.

I remember buying the 89 Score set for 12 dollars, only to see the Sanders and Aikman cards reach 100+ each a few months later. I had multiples of those cards.

All I have left is my Marino collection (bout 450-500 different cards)
Some Sammy Sosa's, Kobe, Shaq, various other Dolphins, Cubs, Laker cards. Some random rookies I loved, like Randy Moss, Elway, etc.

I've always told myself, if I ever win the lottery, I'm buyin a big *** house, and setting aside an extra room. ThenI'm getting a laptop and a printer, setting up shop, and buying cards like a mad man on Ebay to rebuild my collection. Glass cases in the room like in the shops, spare boxes waiting to be filled, everything. But now, with a kid, bills, life, etc, just can't do it anymore. :smh:

Someday tho........

When my wife and I first got together as teenagers, I used to spend weekends at her house. We'd wake up Saturday morning, drive a couple blocks to the local shop. Spend an hour or two in there pickin stuff up.
Then we'd drive down the street to another one, spend another hour, grab more stuff.
Then we would cross town to another shop, yet another hour or so. (this one was her favorite, because it had a Braves only binder that she could scour)
Then we would head to the other side of town, and hit TWO more shops!!!! 1 day, we'd hit five shops. I would buy stuff from every single one.

Come back home, and bust open every pack, every box, etc.

Then when I would go back home for the week, I would throw them on my desk, and spend the rest of the week at night filing them away in a system I had.

When I sold everything, I was at about..........

13-14 monster boxes full.
25+ binders (I still have 2, the only cards I still own)
Maybe, 75-100 of the 600 count boxes.
Easily over 120+ regular boxes like the ones packs would come in, I would store cards in those.
Probably a dozen or so shoe boxes, smaller boxes, tins, whatever else had cards in them.

I had an entire spare bedroom for my cards when her and I first got married and got our own apartment.

Like I said, it was my life. Handed down to me by my father. It was all I knew. I knew card numbers, what year they were on sight, hot rookies, stats off the back, hidden "gems", errors, beckets, everything. Baseball, football, basketball.

I remember buying the 89 Score set for 12 dollars, only to see the Sanders and Aikman cards reach 100+ each a few months later. I had multiples of those cards.

All I have left is my Marino collection (bout 450-500 different cards)
Some Sammy Sosa's, Kobe, Shaq, various other Dolphins, Cubs, Laker cards. Some random rookies I loved, like Randy Moss, Elway, etc.

I've always told myself, if I ever win the lottery, I'm buyin a big *** house, and setting aside an extra room. ThenI'm getting a laptop and a printer, setting up shop, and buying cards like a mad man on Ebay to rebuild my collection. Glass cases in the room like in the shops, spare boxes waiting to be filled, everything. But now, with a kid, bills, life, etc, just can't do it anymore. :smh:

Someday tho........

How Hell did you manage to make this thread depressing with this post? :lol:

CP :smh: :frown:

Sad story, man. I wasn't that deep into it, but I still have a big collection and would regularly go to our shop in town with my friends. They're all still in a chest in storage at my Mom's. I plan to hang onto them even if I never get back into for my kid, if I have a boy.

Funny timing of this thread though. Just last week I was fartin' around at Target and stopped in the card section. Looked at the new sets. A lady came by and I was like, "do people really still collect these?" She said "definitely." Still have people waiting outside for when they open just to buy a box. All in their 30's.

Anyway...Bought two packs each for me and a few of my roommates who I grew up with and we all collected cards. It was fun for that brief moment seeing who all of us got. Aaron Rodgers, Dez Bryant and Lebron James for me. :pimp:

Last edited:
some of my binders.......about 30 pages in each cards ranging from 2-10$

my best cards are in wooden box

Last edited:

Yep, I remember that Rickey rookie. :lol:

The 86 tops there on the upper left, and 87 Donruss it looks like underneath.

I remember the Bo Jackson black and white, bat-shoulder pads card.
Craig Jefferies rush
Canseco, McGwire cards (I lived near the bay area as a kid)
Will Clark
The Bowman set that had all the "rare" rookies. Jeter, Manny, Rivera, Chipper
I remember the Don Mattingly 84 topps card was one of my favorites, along with the Sandberg.
The 85 Donruss set was bad ***. Gooden, Puckett, and Clemens

:smh:

The Card Industry screwed itself with the flood of product, 1 card packs for 15 bucks, and more and more and more and more sets. Used to be 4, then maybe 5-6 a year, then all of a sudden there were 100 per sport.

Just sheer madness.

Yep, I remember that Rickey rookie.
laugh.gif

The 86 tops there on the upper left, and 87 Donruss it looks like underneath.

I remember the Bo Jackson black and white, bat-shoulder pads card.
Craig Jefferies rush
Canseco, McGwire cards (I lived near the bay area as a kid)
Will Clark
The Bowman set that had all the "rare" rookies. Jeter, Manny, Rivera, Chipper
I remember the Don Mattingly 84 topps card was one of my favorites, along with the Sandberg.
The 85 Donruss set was bad ***. Gooden, Puckett, and Clemens

mean.gif

The Card Industry screwed itself with the flood of product, 1 card packs for 15 bucks, and more and more and more and more sets. Used to be 4, then maybe 5-6 a year, then all of a sudden there were 100 per sport.

Just sheer madness.
i have the 84 topps don mattingly and just sold my 84 donruss....good thing i sold my mark mcgwire rookies before he admitted to doping though........

i got the 85-90 donruss complete set and cards from 1939 play ball to 2013 topps update

i got rickey for 10.00....alot of dealers in atl.....but the funny thing is im only 14 and have been collection for 7 years now.......i rember my first card was a 2004 richie sexton gas station card 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
i remember collecting cards as a kid. got a binder full of mj, penny, shaq
never got the holy fleer mj rookie :frown: too much for a young kid

anyone remember donruss and they had the puzzle pieces for their baseball cards

as a kid, my friends would huddle around the latest beckett issue to check out prices
think my best card was the upperdeck griffey, but it wasnt it great condition

Last edited:
Donruss puzzle, I remember this one

The Score set I loved so much

The 84 Topps set

Randy Moss rookie I hunted for and finally pulled in a pack

And of course, the card the card that started it all.....
lol i remember putting together my hank aaron puzzle and im still loking for that ryan sandberg rc

That isn't it tho. The Sandberg RC is the 83 Topps, same batting stance, but the border is white and the inset pic is a circle instead of square like the 84 card.

Back
Top Bottom