Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Man I need I grab my cards from my parents house and post some :lol: Had a pretty decent collection

Still have my card collection in my closet packed away....mainly basketball/football but also have a lot of baseball (older stuff...1960's and older)...

Stopped collecting like I used to a few years ago, only cards I collect now are Willie Mays (pre-1960), early MJ cards (1984-87) and Jerry Rice cards (my 3 fav. players of all time)...

Here is some of my Willie Mays stuff and my MJ fleer rookie...enjoy:

View media item 777057View media item 777058View media item 777059

Still have my card collection in my closet packed away....mainly basketball/football but also have a lot of baseball (older stuff...1960's and older)...

Stopped collecting like I used to a few years ago, only cards I collect now are Willie Mays (pre-1960), early MJ cards (1984-87) and Jerry Rice cards (my 3 fav. players of all time)...

Here is some of my Willie Mays stuff and my MJ fleer rookie...enjoy:

View media item 777057View media item 777058View media item 777059

:wow: :wow: :wow:

story from an OG NT'er... forget his screenname, though.

Ken Griffey Jr. shares the stories behind his 1989 Upper Deck rookie card

PUBLISHED 13 hours and 20 minutes ago LAST UPDATED 5 hours and 25 minutes ago
Chris Littmann Sporting News

Whether you owned one card or multiple copies, the odds are high that if you collected baseball cards in the late 1980s or 1990s, you probably had the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card. How many copies you had depend on how much money you had to burn or how much of your collection you were willing to sacrifice.

But as the card turns 25 years old, how many copies of the card does Griffey Jr. himself own?

"I got a few ... over 100," Griffey Jr. told Sporting News. "I have the bigger version of that. A couple of those, too. I don't have a hundred, but I have a couple."

Although more than two decades have passed, Griffey still remembers a great deal about that particular card. Not surprisingly, he calls it his favorite card of his career.

"That was actually the first, pretty much," Griffey said. "That baseball card was me in a San Bernardino uniform, they just Photoshopped it.

"If you notice, the Mariners had the blue stripe down the center of the shirt. That one doesn't have it. And if you look at the hat closely enough, you'll see the trim of the red where the yellow is."

View media item 784599

In a 2008 Slate piece, Darren Rovell spoke to Tom Geideman, who made the decision to make Griffey Jr. the No. 1 card in Upper Deck's first set. According to the story, they picked Griffey Jr. over Gregg Jefferies, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Gary Sheffield.

"I had no idea. Being 18, you never know what's going to happen," Griffey said. "Now as you get older, you start looking back at things and that's pretty awesome that the guys there would think that highly of me to make me their No. 1 card."

Griffey said, to this day, he still runs into people who tell him they have his rookie card. Some fans even bring the card to his youngest son Tevin's baseball games, hoping to run into the Mariners legend.

"They'll bring it, but the funny thing is to see the look on my kids' faces," Griffey said. "When they see the hair on my head, and the lack of hair, the shaved sides, but not a Mohawk look. The hairstyles are what really get them."

LOOK BACK: Baseball cards for No. 1 picks in the MLB Draft since 1965

Fast forward 25 years later: Griffey Jr. is retired and he's enjoying golf and watching his childrens' athletic careers. Trey Griffey, of course, had a big bowl game for Arizona, hauling in two touchdowns.

Can Griffey Jr. envision a day when he'll be collecting his own kids' cards?

"I go straight for the uniform, I just take their uniforms," Griffey said. "So last year, Trey's football jersey. His main football jersey from the Under Armour All-American game, his University of Arizona jersey, his bowl game jerseys. I actually have his first football jersey and first baseball jersey in a frame. I've go Taryn's two basketball jerseys and Tevin's first football and baseball jerseys framed."

View media item 784606

I collected when I was little. I'm dormant now. My dad started me off when he came back from a trip with a box of 1990 NBA hoops cards. I was hooked from there. Got around 30,000 basketball cards, decent rookies/inserts etc. I want to complete the Fleer '86 set though. Used to fiend for Beckett magazine lol

I'm going to start again to hopefully build something to pass on to my son who's currently only 3.

Hobby boxes are definitely the way to go, as they guarantee some pieces with autos, relics, game-worn pieces, etc. I may start again with that 2014 Donruss Baseball box in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to start again to hopefully build something to pass on to my son who's currently only 3.

Hobby boxes are definitely the way to go, as they guarantee some pieces with autos, relics, game-worn pieces, etc. I may start again with that 2014 Donruss Baseball box in a couple of weeks.

Donruss is now owned by Panini, who does not have MLB license to make cards. Not sure if you care about that or not, but just a heads up in case it something that matters.

Topps is the only brand that has an MLB license. They own Bowman, so technically that falls under the same umbrella.

Donruss/Panini/Upper Deck do not.

Ironically, Topps does not have an NBA license anymore, and Panini does have the NBA license. Go figure. :lol:

I think Donruss is releasing their first set of stuff in a while:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/11/first-look-2014-donruss-baseball-cards/

However after you mentioning how they lost the license for a while, I'm a bit hesitant at the first releases, but the preview stuff looks decent.

As for Topps, their stuff just all looks alike. The Chrome series is kind of cool, but I'm not so huge on the Series 1 baseball stuff.

I'm not an expert at all and am just going by how the products look aka the eye test haha.

Edit: you're right CP, still unlicensed *womp womp*

Last edited:
Anyone ever sent cards in to get graded? Which site/company? If you have card that's potentially valuable I'd be a little weary. None of the BGS shows are near me.

Took a glance at old stash yesterday. I had a binder with nothing but MJ cards that was stolen when I was title :smh:

View media item 1216588

Last edited:
Gravedigging.

Anyone still into cards and in particular basketball cards? What FB/IG accounts or other blogs etc are y’all following for releases? Was big into it as a kid but couldn’t afford it but now that I’m older I’m dabbling back into it. How do you even know about certain releases (hobby/retail) or even the recent Fanatics Optic box which sold out quickly? Not many local shops near me.

Thanks!

The Fanatics optic set definitely did not sell out fast. It actually restocked over and over.

Blowout cards forum is the best place for info, but be warned they love to blame sneakerheads for everything wrong in the card hobby.

The Fanatics optic set definitely did not sell out fast. It actually restocked over and over.

Blowout cards forum is the best place for info, but be warned they love to blame sneakerheads for everything wrong in the card hobby.

guess the better question was why the hype after it was sitting for a bit? People just realized what it came with so the hype machine was rolling?

last pack of cards I bought was over 18 years ago. Remember my favorite card being a green EX-2000 Kobe rookie I believe but TBH I have no idea where it’s at.

so lost with cards now though. Hobby boxes are the way to go if I have the funds? Also how are you aware of the retail boxes (at target/Walmart/etc) or is it just putting the legwork in and going around to see? Do they have any specific release days (I know for Panini’s site they do)?

Last edited:
i still got some cards from my youth (shaq, penny, mj, etc) stored somewhere but nothing of much value

i remember purchasing a random pack of marvel card when i was younger and pulled like one of the rarest cards :lol: ended up trading it to my friend for some other cards

Gravedigging (along with the S&T forum)

Anyone still into cards and in particular basketball cards? What FB/IG accounts or other blogs etc are y’all following for releases? Was big into it as a kid but couldn’t afford it but now that I’m older I’m dabbling back into it. How do you even know about certain releases (hobby/retail) or even the recent Fanatics Optic box which sold out quickly? Not many local shops near me.

Thanks!

last pack of cards I bought was over 18 years ago. Remember my favorite card being a green EX-2000 Kobe rookie I believe but TBH I have no idea where it’s at.

The ex-2000 is also my favorite kobe card of all time, did you pull it from a pack?

In middle school I was into cards tuff, I probably have the most coveted kobe rookie cards to this day. I was a big BECKETT/WIZARD reader and remember collecting them thinking if I sat on em they might be worth something someday....

I need to get my cards graded.

thumbnailhgjh.jpg

Yo...was just going thru a pile a few days ago to send into PSA for grading and didn't even know I had a freaking Patrick Mahomes Optic rookie card. Didn't even know I had one. Definitely sending this bad boy in for grading

I was on a nice streak of finding sealed boxes at the thrift stores before this pandemic broke out. They’re not high dollar finds but very sentimental to me as they were the years I collected as a kid. I did strictly NBA.

Picked up...

1989-90 NBA Hoops series l $10
1989-90 SkyBox series l $10
1991-92 UpperDeck series ll $10
1992 Skybox USA Basketball $20
1992-93 Topps Stadium Club series ll $5
1992-93 Skybox series ll $5

Back
Top Bottom