Anyone else have different accents around different ethnic groups?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

my accent is just uptown
pimp.gif

hyrid from my dominicanness & comin and goin to harlem from da heightz.
NY accents 
sick.gif

I just moved down south from New England (I picked up Spanish pretty quickly due to where I lived) a few days ago and the speech difference is very distinct but I stick to what I know. As far as slang, I always try speak so people understand the context of the words I am using.

I just moved down south from New England (I picked up Spanish pretty quickly due to where I lived) a few days ago and the speech difference is very distinct but I stick to what I know. As far as slang, I always try speak so people understand the context of the words I am using.

Everyone has an accent because there are hundreds(maybe even a few, couple thousands) of English dialects both inside and outside of the states. It has to do with the settling of Brits during colonization(U.S wise, anyway).

Everyone has an accent because there are hundreds(maybe even a few, couple thousands) of English dialects both inside and outside of the states. It has to do with the settling of Brits during colonization(U.S wise, anyway).

I do the same thing. I pick up different accents the longer I'm around some people. I went out to get some pho today and my voice started to pick up a tiny Vietnamese accent...

I think it might have something to do with language-learning capabilities. I find it really easy learning the pronunciation of different languages when I study them (example: Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Chinese).

I do the same thing. I pick up different accents the longer I'm around some people. I went out to get some pho today and my voice started to pick up a tiny Vietnamese accent...

I think it might have something to do with language-learning capabilities. I find it really easy learning the pronunciation of different languages when I study them (example: Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Chinese).

Ha this dude is used to work with, said he was a Producer. And when talking to me or anyone else, very normal voice, NJ accent if you will. Yet on the phone with his artists, he'd use this funny Jamaican accent. He said he's from Jamaica, but idk, accent sounds suspect.

Ha this dude is used to work with, said he was a Producer. And when talking to me or anyone else, very normal voice, NJ accent if you will. Yet on the phone with his artists, he'd use this funny Jamaican accent. He said he's from Jamaica, but idk, accent sounds suspect.

i live in a small college town with a lot of kids from rural areas in texas, so when i go back home to houston my parents said i picked up sort of a country accent 
eyes.gif

i live in a small college town with a lot of kids from rural areas in texas, so when i go back home to houston my parents said i picked up sort of a country accent 
eyes.gif

Just coming into work about 20 mintues ago I over heard a black guy trying to talk to a spanish girl. The spanish girl turned around and said she doesn't speak black. 

Just coming into work about 20 mintues ago I over heard a black guy trying to talk to a spanish girl. The spanish girl turned around and said she doesn't speak black. 

I don't change around ethnic groups, but the manner in which I speak does change based on setting and age group.

I don't change around ethnic groups, but the manner in which I speak does change based on setting and age group.

When I go back to africa, my accent reverts too haha, my pops does it too and my mom hates it.

Slang depends on who Im with too, at least somewhat. I switch it up a little to more use what I know people know but still throw in others now and then so I've gotten mad people to use slang they otherwise wouldnt.

When I go back to africa, my accent reverts too haha, my pops does it too and my mom hates it.

Slang depends on who Im with too, at least somewhat. I switch it up a little to more use what I know people know but still throw in others now and then so I've gotten mad people to use slang they otherwise wouldnt.

Originally Posted by beh235

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

You speak? Then you have an accent. There's probably accents for even sign language so don't go on that 'I don't have an accent' nonsense.

I'm multilingual so I pay a lot of attention to variations in diction, tempo, context and culture for each language and subsection of the language. Everyone's definition of what 'proper' is depends on more factors than just what you consider proper. I'm not going to use lawyer talk when I'm talking to a kid. Part of being an effective communicator is being able to be flexible with getting your message across. If you try to get at everyone in just one way, you ain't getting nowhere. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun with how you speak.

I'm doing me though, have fun doing you.

Originally Posted by beh235

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

You speak? Then you have an accent. There's probably accents for even sign language so don't go on that 'I don't have an accent' nonsense.

I'm multilingual so I pay a lot of attention to variations in diction, tempo, context and culture for each language and subsection of the language. Everyone's definition of what 'proper' is depends on more factors than just what you consider proper. I'm not going to use lawyer talk when I'm talking to a kid. Part of being an effective communicator is being able to be flexible with getting your message across. If you try to get at everyone in just one way, you ain't getting nowhere. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun with how you speak.

I'm doing me though, have fun doing you.

Back
Top Bottom