Anyone Else Not Give a **** About the Troops?

I read somewhere if you see a vet that’s had his arm or leg blown off, you should make a joke about it b/c those dudes are tired of people tiptoeing around it

“damn, I know you got the most field goals kicked in army history” or some **** like that to a dude in a wheelchai. Humanize them

is that true?

:nerd: :nerd:

How this go? Did you get a friendly wave?

Generally most vets who see actual action very rarely like to talk about it nor do they like to be called 'heroes'. Most of them describe their tours as jobs, missions or meeting an objective. That is it. The US military has done a phenomenal job of marketing 'war' as something that is cool and righteous and in turn a good portion of the general public has taken this to mean we need to 'thank' troops or some how feel obliged for their service.

In all realities just about every major US military action has been poor men fighting a rich mans war.

Generally most vets who see actual action very rarely like to talk about it nor do they like to be called 'heroes'. Most of them describe their tours as jobs, missions or meeting an objective. That is it. The US military has done a phenomenal job of marketing 'war' as something that is cool and righteous and in turn a good portion of the general public has taken this to mean we need to 'thank' troops or some how feel obliged for their service.

In all realities just about every major US military action has been poor men fighting a rich mans war.
I wonder if other countries do the same kind of soldier / patriot propaganda.

I wonder if other countries do the same kind of soldier / patriot propaganda.

I mean to a certain degree, yes. Russia, North Korea, & Iraq all come to mind as having large parades displaying their military strength. Shoot, even when I was in Athens, Greece they have their very own Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Patriotism and supporting the military has been around since the very beginning because at least in the early American wars joining the military was generally looked at as admirable and something that you did to protect your country. The levels of patriotism certainly vary from war to war, country to country and who is the aggressor and who isn't.

So there are ppl who genuinely think that we have the biggest army in the world for anything other than its a major money-making endeavor? And the fact that its just plain ol flexin because we can?

i see the modern military as i see cops. Just pawns given scarps to do the status quo dirty work. Enforcers of mass oppression while washing their hands of responsibility. Usually too disenfranchised to question anything.

So there are ppl who genuinely think that we have the biggest army in the world for anything other than its a major money-making endeavor? And the fact that its just plain ol flexin because we can?

And as a deterrent. Mutual self destruction being the deterrent of all deterrents.

That's why the cold war happened and why countries typically stick to hacking/cyber attacks or attacking economically now.

When a country doesn't have the money/certain military capabilities they get violated and or occupied.

Indian and Chinese soldiers were literally fighting/killing each other with sticks and stones last year because they agreed to put the arms down while they beef over the border. If India didn't have nukes China would have ran up decades ago.

I read somewhere if you see a vet that’s had his arm or leg blown off, you should make a joke about it b/c those dudes are tired of people tiptoeing around it

“damn, I know you got the most field goals kicked in army history” or some **** like that to a dude in a wheelchai. Humanize them

is that true?

:nerd: :nerd:

My older brother did 4 years in the Navy. It helped fund his college degree but he always tells me he hated it and would never do it again.

Troops lost and wasted 20 years in Afghanistan. Great job
1636686331729.gif

Hero worship is obnoxious. As someone that worked critical care throughout both waves of COVID in NY, I rolled my eyes at how much everyone around me was soaking up their newfound "hero" status. My job even went as far as to give us head wraps that said "HERO" in big letters across the forehead and people wore them without any shame.

giphy.gif

I'll cut slack for those that were conscripted, but I'm not gonna kowtow to someone because they signed up to do a dangerous job.

Hero worship is obnoxious. As someone that worked critical care throughout both waves of COVID in NY, I rolled my eyes at how much everyone around me was soaking up their newfound "hero" status. My job even went as far as to give us head wraps that said "HERO" in big letters across the forehead and people wore them without any shame.

giphy.gif

I'll cut slack for those that were conscripted, but I'm not gonna kowtow to someone because they signed up to do a dangerous job.

Did you or any of your folks wear the headbands?

giphy.gif

They turn the jobs into “hero’s” when they know the job sucks and they need people to not quit.

Back
Top Bottom