Anyone ever just pick up everything and move far away?

In '08 - I took my Tumi bag, stuffed almost 15 racks cash in there and caught a one way to SFO. TSA tried questioning my money but I laughed at em..

agreed....you only live once...and perfect time to do its when your young...you def learn alot about yourself and new cluture and people....be awsome...

agreed....you only live once...and perfect time to do its when your young...you def learn alot about yourself and new cluture and people....be awsome...

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

I did it when I turned 21. Walked out of my job in mid shift asked for my check and got it the next day took off to vegas made it one week and I got homesick. Stupid move but good memory.

did they let you back to work? lol

i think it'd be a great experience/adventure

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

I did it when I turned 21. Walked out of my job in mid shift asked for my check and got it the next day took off to vegas made it one week and I got homesick. Stupid move but good memory.

did they let you back to work? lol

i think it'd be a great experience/adventure

I've lived in California all my life.

I'll be moving to New York in the spring.

It'll be my first time east of anything past Arizona, but I really feel like I gotta shake things up a bit.

I've lived in California all my life.

I'll be moving to New York in the spring.

It'll be my first time east of anything past Arizona, but I really feel like I gotta shake things up a bit.

@*%% my cousin told me to come out to ohio starting next week for a month to help him run his gas station...it'll be the closest thing I get to leaving home in my life...hopefully its rewarding...

I don't blame people who just want to pick up and leave(who are young and don't have that many responsibilities)...people just get sick of the same crap over and over again.

@*%% my cousin told me to come out to ohio starting next week for a month to help him run his gas station...it'll be the closest thing I get to leaving home in my life...hopefully its rewarding...

I don't blame people who just want to pick up and leave(who are young and don't have that many responsibilities)...people just get sick of the same crap over and over again.

Are You Familiar With Chris McCandless?

If Not, You Should Either Read 'Into The Wild, Or Watch The Movie

His Story Is Kind Of Inspiring, And Makes You Wonder What Could Be

I'm in my first week of it right now. I lived in California for the past 25 years. My wife really started getting tired of Southern California, so she started looking for jobs out of state, and landed a job in North Carolina. She flew out on July 12th, I scrambled to secure a job out here, and I flew in on July 26th. She got a 20% increase, I had to take a 20% decrease. Other than her, I have absolutely no one here. All of my immediate family lives in Southern California. All of my friends from high school, college and work live in Southern California. All my new co-workers are simply different. I'm getting by, but I'm kind of having a difficult time adjusting to the culture. It's cool that everybody is so nice, if you want to call it Southern Hospitality, but it's just a huge transition from California. I tried to live it up as much as I could the 2 weeks I had left in California, and it felt like a lifetime while it was happening, but before I knew it I was on the plane. I still wish I could go back and spend time with my close friends.

Do it while you're young and not fully settled because that's probably when it's easiest. I'm still young and I know that there is life outside of California, but it was extremely hard to walk away from all of it. I spent a long time building up friendships, people that I saw daily, and all of that day in/day out chemistry is just out the door. I can still call people, facebook, e-mail, etc., but I am really going to miss the idea of actually really knowing people, reading their faces, etc.

If you don't have any serious ties, go for it. In my case, I'm sort of a kept man, and I have plenty of locations to be flexible with where I work, so I pretty much followed my breadwinner wife.

I'm in my first week of it right now. I lived in California for the past 25 years. My wife really started getting tired of Southern California, so she started looking for jobs out of state, and landed a job in North Carolina. She flew out on July 12th, I scrambled to secure a job out here, and I flew in on July 26th. She got a 20% increase, I had to take a 20% decrease. Other than her, I have absolutely no one here. All of my immediate family lives in Southern California. All of my friends from high school, college and work live in Southern California. All my new co-workers are simply different. I'm getting by, but I'm kind of having a difficult time adjusting to the culture. It's cool that everybody is so nice, if you want to call it Southern Hospitality, but it's just a huge transition from California. I tried to live it up as much as I could the 2 weeks I had left in California, and it felt like a lifetime while it was happening, but before I knew it I was on the plane. I still wish I could go back and spend time with my close friends.

Do it while you're young and not fully settled because that's probably when it's easiest. I'm still young and I know that there is life outside of California, but it was extremely hard to walk away from all of it. I spent a long time building up friendships, people that I saw daily, and all of that day in/day out chemistry is just out the door. I can still call people, facebook, e-mail, etc., but I am really going to miss the idea of actually really knowing people, reading their faces, etc.

If you don't have any serious ties, go for it. In my case, I'm sort of a kept man, and I have plenty of locations to be flexible with where I work, so I pretty much followed my breadwinner wife.

Originally Posted by JumpMan Jam

I thought the kid was kinda dumb, especially in the end, ignorant would be the better word.
But thinking about it, maybe a foreign country, about to start freshman year at Emory, gotta see where the next four years take me to.

Originally Posted by JumpMan Jam

I thought the kid was kinda dumb, especially in the end, ignorant would be the better word.
But thinking about it, maybe a foreign country, about to start freshman year at Emory, gotta see where the next four years take me to.

Back
Top Bottom