Anyone ever move from an urban area to the burbs? Vol. First time home buyer

heres a brief background, this is more for the grown folk of NT:
Im 28, recently married and have a seed on the way...
Im from NY and now live in Hoboken, NJ (an upscale urban area) right on the hudson river facing manhattan

Me and the wife are somewhat getting sick of the crowdedness of it and are planning to move to a nice house in the burbs soon. Traffic is real bad here, and Ipay more for my spots in the parking garage then some people pay for rent in some places. Rent here is expensive too, but money isnt the problem. It also hasalot of conveniences, Im 5 min from NYC literally by ferry or drive, ive got a gym in my buidling and theres tons of restaurants and stuff to do right here, Idont have to get in the car to go out or go out to eat and theres a million delivery spots....

The new area I was looking to move to is only about 14 miles west from NYC, about a 25 minute drive with no traffic, but its a world apart. Id have a nice newbig house but theres nowhere to walk to, Id have to get in the car for everything and its very spread out there. Theres wild deer and turkeys just chilling onthe corners. On the other hand, Ill be way more comforatable in the nice new crib. Ill have plenty of room to park cars and stuff, a nice sized yard for my dogto run around in and most importantly its a nice place to raise a family, plenty of space and good schools and all that. Its very near all the major highwaysso theres tons of shopping on those roads, but the actual house is in a very secluded private neighborhood. I do have some friends who are only a 10-15 mindrive and my family is about 10 min away.

Im kind of having cold feet, I found a house that has everything I want for less then the original budget I set so I know I can buy the house once we negotiatethe price out. I feel that ill miss having my boys being able to drop by whenever to watch the game or being able to just go do whatever whenever I wantwithout being far away from everything. But on the other hand I know this is the best move to make for my family and I need to put that first.

Anyone else ever make a similar move? maybe im just nervous about the kid and everything

yup. it SUCKED. I'm now back in the city LOL renting ftw in that case, it was easy to move back

Moved far out in 07...at first it was a big inconvenience everything seemed so far away but once I got used to it especially the peacefulness and quiet
smokin.gif
. I find myself walking my dog or in the backyard chilling with him a lot glad I moved but I do miss everything being nearby

i have visiting the suburbs everybody smiling and *@%$ saying hi and where would you get weed from and you have to drive hella far to find a liquor store rightnow i live on top of a liquor store literally

I say you make the move to the burbs. Most likely be a better situation for your family in the long run.

Maybe in a while if you can get your $ up you can move back into the city.

it sounds like you found the perfect spot. i would say to go ahead and move. whats a 25 min drive to the city? 25 min drive> having to pay for parking likerent and avoiding all the traffic.

plus once you get familiar with the area you might just start finding nice restaurants or something

I've moved back and forth multiple times in my life. There are pros and cons to both...certain cities I just can't deal with cus of the crowd. But,I've also lived in really rural areas. I'm right in the middle as far as preference.

yeah i moved from the city to the suburbs. the only positives are that its quiet and lots of space to just chill. since your a family man i think it's agood choice to move somewhere more safe for the kids. just be ready to deal with plenty of ignorant suburban folk who get scared if you walk behind them formore than a couple seconds.

moved from LA, to an LA burb. not the same but sort of i guess.

sometimes tho, u miss the noise. wierd as it sounds the quiet makes you feel lonely. but after a while..... no neighbors bumping mariatchi music FTW
pimp.gif

My friends are scattered all about..
You'll definitely see each other less....but It's just a facet of your friends growing up and having families.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you...but do what's best for your family.

btw.
Theres wild deer and turkeys just chilling on the corners.
where the hell is this 14 miles west of NYC?....what county?

maybe you be lucky and dirty will be your neighbor.

so you can have BBQ's and there will be dirty in the corner chillin and crux, talkin bout all the nt news.

a house is always a great investment, prices are low, go for it , if you really want to live in a nice suburban but still urban live area look into homes inozone park Queens very diverse neighborhood schools are close by A train is here great neighborhood

I just made the move out to Long Island and so far so good. Driveway and garage are outstanding pro's.

Great neighborhood with a quiet street but I can walk to 7-11, train, and a grip of other stores in the "downtown" area.

I do miss the hustle and bustle of my old neighborhood though.

We did it when I was like 5, so it didn't make much a difference. I just remember walking the streets of Jackson Heights to go to pre-K, and later in thesuburbs I'd be riding a bus. The prior was more entertaining though.

thx for the advice guys

Dirty, its in North Western Essex County, where the Sopranos supposedly lived...

[Psychiatrist]

This is more about you subliminally not wanting to let go of your younger, carefree days than actually having cold feet about moving away from the city.Settling down with a wife and kid is a BIG change. Psychologically you're not sure if you're ready to deal with that yet so you're second guessingit.

[/Psychiatrist]

It's time to stop worrying about the boys not being able to come over and drink beer and watch the game and start worrying about your family. Moving to thesuburbs is the better choice. I'm not even going to give reasons because you've already convinced yourself in your OP by the way you described theplace. You'll meet people in your neighborhood to hang out with. In 4-5 years it's going to be PTA meetings, soccer practice, school plays, etc.You'll be trading in your weekends of staying out late and stumbling home at 4am in exchange for working on your yard, doing chores around your house, etc.Trading in vacations to Las Vegas and Miami for family vacations to Disney World.

Some people call it the American Dream...so I'm not really sure what you're complaining about
grin.gif

But whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE YOUR KID TO A GROWN UP RESTAURANT UNTIL HE OR SHE IS 7 YEARS OR OLDER! You don't want to be "that" couple.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

thx for the advice guys

Dirty, its in North Western Essex County, where the Sopranos supposedly lived...
Move out here. You won't regret it
grin.gif

i guess im just scared to become a middle aged man and live the american dream suburban life, but thats whats best for my family so thats what ill do...

Starting a family before the age of 30 FTL!!

Now don't get me wrong I would love the start one as early as possible if the financial side of life was peachy, but being a young bachelor in the City ofall cities with cake..
pimp.gif

You have to make that sacrifice and make the move to the burbs You already know it's best for your family.

you and your homies are getting older and having families. over time its gonna be harder to get together just because everyone is doing their own thing. i saymake the move....you won't regret it in the long run. plus, you can now throw birthday parties, superbowl parties and everything else cuz you got abackyard and garage. i'm sure your homies will be more than willing to make the 25 minute drive.

Back
Top Bottom