Anyone following CES?

^ Yea I'll give Nokia another shot if the specs on the "N9" or whatever phone they come out with to launch meego look solid. If not I'm pretty sure I'll be on the android bandwagon too

^ Yea I'll give Nokia another shot if the specs on the "N9" or whatever phone they come out with to launch meego look solid. If not I'm pretty sure I'll be on the android bandwagon too

[h4][/h4]
[h4]ASUS Eee Pad Slider and Transformer are here for those that can't imagine using a tablet without a physical keyboard[/h4]
By Joanna Stern posted Jan 4th 2011 5:33PM

Breaking News

Here they are: ASUS's duo of Tegra 2-powered, 10.1-inch tablets with unique physical keyboards. Starting with the craziest of them, is the Eee Pad Slider (pictured on the left), which reminds us a lot of HTC's old school Shift with its slide out QWERTY keyboard. The device is planned to run Google's Honeycomb, sports a IPS, 1280 x 800-resolution display, and houses mini-HDMI and miniUSB ports as well as a microSD card slot. The 2.2-pound / .5-inch thick slab also has dual cameras -- a 1.2 megapixel front-facing one and a 5 megapixel one with an LED flash on the back. We have to say we love the idea of always having that keyboard around, but if you don't want to drag along a physical keyboard all the time, ASUS has something for you too. It's the Transformer, and like the Eee Pad we saw at Computex, it's a 10.1-inch tablet that will come with a laptop like dock with a full size keyboard and touchpad. The tablet part -- like the Slider -- will run Android 3.0 and packs a dual-core Tegra 2 processor, two cameras, and a 1280 x 800-resolution IPS display, however, the dock has an integrated battery that will keep the tablet running for 16 hours on a charge -- the tablet on its own should last eight. We're obviously aching in our seats here waiting to get these two in our hands so stay tuned for some crazy videos of the two in action -- until then we leave you with the specs after the break.

Update: How much will it cost you to keyboard-ify your slate and how long will you have to wait? ASUS says the Transformer will run between $400 and $700 and the Slider from $500 to $800. Expect them in April and May respectively.

ASUS Eee Slate Slider and Transformer

ASUS Eee Pad Slider and Transformer

slateslider.jpg

transformer.jpg

Link

Sort of want

[h4][/h4]
[h4]ASUS Eee Pad Slider and Transformer are here for those that can't imagine using a tablet without a physical keyboard[/h4]
By Joanna Stern posted Jan 4th 2011 5:33PM

Breaking News

Here they are: ASUS's duo of Tegra 2-powered, 10.1-inch tablets with unique physical keyboards. Starting with the craziest of them, is the Eee Pad Slider (pictured on the left), which reminds us a lot of HTC's old school Shift with its slide out QWERTY keyboard. The device is planned to run Google's Honeycomb, sports a IPS, 1280 x 800-resolution display, and houses mini-HDMI and miniUSB ports as well as a microSD card slot. The 2.2-pound / .5-inch thick slab also has dual cameras -- a 1.2 megapixel front-facing one and a 5 megapixel one with an LED flash on the back. We have to say we love the idea of always having that keyboard around, but if you don't want to drag along a physical keyboard all the time, ASUS has something for you too. It's the Transformer, and like the Eee Pad we saw at Computex, it's a 10.1-inch tablet that will come with a laptop like dock with a full size keyboard and touchpad. The tablet part -- like the Slider -- will run Android 3.0 and packs a dual-core Tegra 2 processor, two cameras, and a 1280 x 800-resolution IPS display, however, the dock has an integrated battery that will keep the tablet running for 16 hours on a charge -- the tablet on its own should last eight. We're obviously aching in our seats here waiting to get these two in our hands so stay tuned for some crazy videos of the two in action -- until then we leave you with the specs after the break.

Update: How much will it cost you to keyboard-ify your slate and how long will you have to wait? ASUS says the Transformer will run between $400 and $700 and the Slider from $500 to $800. Expect them in April and May respectively.

ASUS Eee Slate Slider and Transformer

ASUS Eee Pad Slider and Transformer

slateslider.jpg

transformer.jpg

Link

Sort of want

Wow, that doesn't look too bad.
The Slider is very tempting, at a good price too. Wish had larger storage.

Wow, that doesn't look too bad.
The Slider is very tempting, at a good price too. Wish had larger storage.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

usainboltisfast wrote:
FlipnKraut wrote:
usainboltisfast wrote:
It is just going to be a boatload of Android related trash. Instead of developing 1000s of different android devices why dont they focus this man power on some killer apps.

You do realize that the developers of the apps in the market have nothing to do with the device manufacturers right?

You think Motorola isn't  capable of developing software?

laugh.gif
motoblur is trash but i see your point. HTC needs to stop playing and change the game, i'm pretty sure they have the innovation and team to do it. They need to stop releasing so many different devices before android ends up like windows mobile. Especially when most of the devices have the same specs.

HTC's 'over saturation' has nothing to do with the fall of Microsoft's Windows Mobile.  WinMo lacked the ability to adapt to the evolving (non-business) consumer base.  There were plans to continue the WinMo brand so that it could compete with the user friendly, app-centric iPhone/iOS but the OS just wasn't fundamentally built to do that.  The UI was far from user-friendly, no good relationship with software devs, WinMo's bad 'rep'...  M$ only choice was to go back to the drawing board with a new direction and now we have Windows Phone 7.  Android will not go the way of WinMo because it had a much wider scope during its conception than Windows Mobile did during it's development.

FlipnKraut, has it right.  Manufacturers stick to manufacturing devices and software developers make the apps.  These devs range from established organizations to teenagers in their mom's basement.  That is the model, its working very well, no need to change it.  The device manufacturers need to focus their resources on increasing the capabilities of their devices so that the software developers can subsequently focus their time and resources to taking advantage of the hardware advancements.  It's not a question of being capable, it's a matter of not messing with a working business model.

And people need to remember that HTC has been making devices for US carriers for years.  It was just a couple years ago that they started branding their devices state-side.  Why now? No clue.  But establishing their brand over here lets you know that they definitely have some big plans for the future..

usainboltisfast wrote:
FlipnKraut wrote:
usainboltisfast wrote:
It is just going to be a boatload of Android related trash. Instead of developing 1000s of different android devices why dont they focus this man power on some killer apps.

You do realize that the developers of the apps in the market have nothing to do with the device manufacturers right?

You think Motorola isn't  capable of developing software?

laugh.gif
motoblur is trash but i see your point. HTC needs to stop playing and change the game, i'm pretty sure they have the innovation and team to do it. They need to stop releasing so many different devices before android ends up like windows mobile. Especially when most of the devices have the same specs.

HTC's 'over saturation' has nothing to do with the fall of Microsoft's Windows Mobile.  WinMo lacked the ability to adapt to the evolving (non-business) consumer base.  There were plans to continue the WinMo brand so that it could compete with the user friendly, app-centric iPhone/iOS but the OS just wasn't fundamentally built to do that.  The UI was far from user-friendly, no good relationship with software devs, WinMo's bad 'rep'...  M$ only choice was to go back to the drawing board with a new direction and now we have Windows Phone 7.  Android will not go the way of WinMo because it had a much wider scope during its conception than Windows Mobile did during it's development.

FlipnKraut, has it right.  Manufacturers stick to manufacturing devices and software developers make the apps.  These devs range from established organizations to teenagers in their mom's basement.  That is the model, its working very well, no need to change it.  The device manufacturers need to focus their resources on increasing the capabilities of their devices so that the software developers can subsequently focus their time and resources to taking advantage of the hardware advancements.  It's not a question of being capable, it's a matter of not messing with a working business model.

And people need to remember that HTC has been making devices for US carriers for years.  It was just a couple years ago that they started branding their devices state-side.  Why now? No clue.  But establishing their brand over here lets you know that they definitely have some big plans for the future..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/origin-pc-takes-genesis-and-big-o-gaming-desktops-to-5ghz-with-o/
Origin PC takes Genesis and Big O gaming desktops to 5GHz with overclocked Core i7 2600k
By Darren Murph posted Jan 5th 2011 2:00PM

post_icon_pr.gif

Who says you need a vat of liquid nitrogen and a voided warranty to push your gaming rig to 5GHz? Here at CES, Origin PC has just announced one killer upgrade for its Genesis and Big O desktop range: an overclocked Core i7 2600k processor that's pushed to 5GHz from the factory. Naturally, the release coincides with Intel's new Sandy Bridge rollout, with this particular chip touting Turbo Boost 2.0 and an integrated memory controller. You'll also get three-way SLI, a customized liquid cooling setup (phew!) and a refreshed EFI BIOS from ASUS that features "convenient mouse controls and an entirely new user interface." If you're looking for something a wee bit more portable (but not exact bantam), you'll be thrilled to know that its Eon 15 and 17 gaming laptops will also start shipping soon with Intel's second-generation Core i5 / i7 CPUs; pair that with a GeForce GTX 485M, an optional TV tuner and four slots of DDR3 memory, and you'll have yourself a sufficient little LAN party rig. There's no mention of dollars and cents, but we're confident the build sheets will be updated soon on Origin's order pages.

Seriously a factory rig at 5GHz?
I wonder if you can reach 5GHz on an air cooled system instead of water, probably could with i7 980x idk doubt it though.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/origin-pc-takes-genesis-and-big-o-gaming-desktops-to-5ghz-with-o/
Origin PC takes Genesis and Big O gaming desktops to 5GHz with overclocked Core i7 2600k
By Darren Murph posted Jan 5th 2011 2:00PM

post_icon_pr.gif

Who says you need a vat of liquid nitrogen and a voided warranty to push your gaming rig to 5GHz? Here at CES, Origin PC has just announced one killer upgrade for its Genesis and Big O desktop range: an overclocked Core i7 2600k processor that's pushed to 5GHz from the factory. Naturally, the release coincides with Intel's new Sandy Bridge rollout, with this particular chip touting Turbo Boost 2.0 and an integrated memory controller. You'll also get three-way SLI, a customized liquid cooling setup (phew!) and a refreshed EFI BIOS from ASUS that features "convenient mouse controls and an entirely new user interface." If you're looking for something a wee bit more portable (but not exact bantam), you'll be thrilled to know that its Eon 15 and 17 gaming laptops will also start shipping soon with Intel's second-generation Core i5 / i7 CPUs; pair that with a GeForce GTX 485M, an optional TV tuner and four slots of DDR3 memory, and you'll have yourself a sufficient little LAN party rig. There's no mention of dollars and cents, but we're confident the build sheets will be updated soon on Origin's order pages.

I wonder if you can reach 5GHz on an air cooled system instead of water, probably could with i7 980x idk doubt it though.

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
prepares to be disappointed by price tag
nerd.gif
plots to get og ipad for cheap

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Will this be announced at CES?

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Jking0821

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

maybe, they have some cases for it at CES. although they might wait for that macworld thing or whatever it is that apple does yearly.

[h4][/h4]
[h4]iPad 2 case shows up at CES, packing a mockup iPad 2[/h4]
By Paul Miller posted Jan 4th 2011 11:41PM

Breaking News

Exclusive

We've been seeing supposed iPad 2 cases for about a month now, all of them with the same telltale cutouts: a camera hole in the back, a camera hole in the front, and a big ol' speaker hole. Today's find beats them all, however: we just found a case with a machined aluminum iPad 2 mockup inside. Dexim is the eager exhibitor, with an actually very intriguing case design involving a Bluetooth keyboard that magnetically adheres to the front cover of the book-like sleeve, allowing for a laptop-style setup, or a keyboard-free case when you want to shave a few ounces. It was so intriguing that we asked to put our own iPad inside, which is when we were told it wouldn't fit, since the case was designed for the next iPad. Indeed, the mockup that we found inside the case was a tad bit slimmer than the first-gen iPad, with a taper leading to the edges that reminds us of the iPod touch, and a home button positioned nearer the bottom edge. We found all the typical cutouts on the case, and their mirror on the machined mockup, including a large square for the speaker.

So, what does it all mean? Well, there's certainly a consistent iPad 2 make that these Chinese manufacturers seem to be designing against, and while there's always the off chance that their info is wrong, it seems odd they'd go so far as to actually make the cases if they were unsure about their sources. It also means a slimmer iPad with cameras and a bigger speaker, which is never a bad thing. Check the pictures in the gallery below and make up your own mind.

Link

Originally Posted by Jking0821

iPad 2
nerd.gif
waits for specs
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

maybe, they have some cases for it at CES. although they might wait for that macworld thing or whatever it is that apple does yearly.

[h4][/h4]
[h4]iPad 2 case shows up at CES, packing a mockup iPad 2[/h4]
By Paul Miller posted Jan 4th 2011 11:41PM

Breaking News

Exclusive

We've been seeing supposed iPad 2 cases for about a month now, all of them with the same telltale cutouts: a camera hole in the back, a camera hole in the front, and a big ol' speaker hole. Today's find beats them all, however: we just found a case with a machined aluminum iPad 2 mockup inside. Dexim is the eager exhibitor, with an actually very intriguing case design involving a Bluetooth keyboard that magnetically adheres to the front cover of the book-like sleeve, allowing for a laptop-style setup, or a keyboard-free case when you want to shave a few ounces. It was so intriguing that we asked to put our own iPad inside, which is when we were told it wouldn't fit, since the case was designed for the next iPad. Indeed, the mockup that we found inside the case was a tad bit slimmer than the first-gen iPad, with a taper leading to the edges that reminds us of the iPod touch, and a home button positioned nearer the bottom edge. We found all the typical cutouts on the case, and their mirror on the machined mockup, including a large square for the speaker.

So, what does it all mean? Well, there's certainly a consistent iPad 2 make that these Chinese manufacturers seem to be designing against, and while there's always the off chance that their info is wrong, it seems odd they'd go so far as to actually make the cases if they were unsure about their sources. It also means a slimmer iPad with cameras and a bigger speaker, which is never a bad thing. Check the pictures in the gallery below and make up your own mind.

Link

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

I have a 4.6GHz i7 920 cooled with water. I doubt you can cool a 5GHz effectively on air...

dang, I want to go past 4 one day but don't want to start messing with water

I have a 4.6GHz i7 920 cooled with water. I doubt you can cool a 5GHz effectively on air...

dang, I want to go past 4 one day but don't want to start messing with water

Originally Posted by omgitswes

are there any Windows tablets?

answered my own question.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/samsung-sliding-pc-7-series-announced/

Key Specs:

* CPU: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] ATOMTM Oak Trail Z670 @ 1.66GHz
* Operating System:
o Genuine Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Home Premium
o Samsung Touch Launcher
* Memory: 2GB DDR2
* Hard Drive (max): 32GB or 64GB (mSATA SSD)
* Screen: 10.1-inch touchscreen HD LCD display (340 nit)
* Resolution: 1366 x 768
* Graphics: Intel Integrated Graphics
* Audio Technology: Integrated speaker (0.8W x 2)
* I/O:
o USB 2.0
o 4-in-1 memory card reader
o HMDI out
* Webcam: 1.3MP
* Battery: Lithium Polymer; up to 9 hours
* Wireless: 802.11b/g/n; WiMax; 3G
* Dimensions: 10.47 x 6.88 x 0.78 inches (W x D x H)
* Weight: Starting at 2.18 lbs.

Hopefully, the price is decent. I love Samsung's products

Originally Posted by omgitswes

are there any Windows tablets?

answered my own question.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/samsung-sliding-pc-7-series-announced/

Key Specs:

* CPU: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] ATOMTM Oak Trail Z670 @ 1.66GHz
* Operating System:
o Genuine Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Home Premium
o Samsung Touch Launcher
* Memory: 2GB DDR2
* Hard Drive (max): 32GB or 64GB (mSATA SSD)
* Screen: 10.1-inch touchscreen HD LCD display (340 nit)
* Resolution: 1366 x 768
* Graphics: Intel Integrated Graphics
* Audio Technology: Integrated speaker (0.8W x 2)
* I/O:
o USB 2.0
o 4-in-1 memory card reader
o HMDI out
* Webcam: 1.3MP
* Battery: Lithium Polymer; up to 9 hours
* Wireless: 802.11b/g/n; WiMax; 3G
* Dimensions: 10.47 x 6.88 x 0.78 inches (W x D x H)
* Weight: Starting at 2.18 lbs.

Hopefully, the price is decent. I love Samsung's products

Probably need dry ice to cool that @$#%
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom