Anyone have experience with Spirit Airlines? + a question about Florida

bkmac

Banned
Has anyone flown on Spirit Airlines?

I'm looking to save a good amount on a flight to Miami (from N.Y.) at the end of March 2012, and I rather book a flight sooner than later before prices increase even more.

I was looking at all airlines that I've heard of, and today I was put onto Spirit Airlines. I noticed the flights were stupid cheap, round-trip too, but it seems a bit sketchy to me.

Anyone have any other info about Spirit, or know of an airline I may want to look at for cheap(er) flights?

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me the closest area/airport to Miami that isn't in Miami? I've noticed that flights to Miami are (obviously) expensive, but if I can catch a flight to somewhere close and take a taxi over to Miami, I'd rather do that (especially since it would be me and a few friends all chipping in for the taxi, it doesn't come out to a lot of $ per person).

I used to take spirit to fly to detroit... economy class is really tight fitted and seats felt small to me... Mind you I'm only 5'10.
I never had a bad experience with them. Usually (for me) they get delayed all the time, but compensate somehow in the air and arrive 30 minutes earlier than expected

If you do fly spirit, I HIGHLY recommend just paying the extra $50 or so to get the seats by the exit/fire way so that you have no one in front of you and
have all the leg space.

im about to book a vegas RT from pdx in mid dec for $107 including taxes & fees
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I usually fly Southwest to save money, I don't think they fly to Miami but they should fly to Ft. Lauderdale and I assume you could get a shuttle to take you to Miami from there.

I fly spirit from ft lauderdale to laguardia every few months, I got that membership so I usually pay 80 round trip with taxes and fees but I have to spend extra for the exit lane seats because im 6'5" so usually around 110. Havent had much of a problem with delays, I think it is because I take the earliest flights out.

Originally Posted by Truballa101

my cousin did it this past summer.

They made her pay $80 for one bag which wasnt overweight

To avoid getting screwed like this by them do everything online as far as buying seats and checking bags because theyll over charge at the counter and on the phone service which is based in india they charge an extra $15 fee on something you could have done yourself online, check in online too to avoid lines, print boarding pass at home and you can just get through everything in a 1/4 of the time.

Looking at the prices again, Spirit looks like the way to go. I want to go from 3/22-3/26 (it's the weekend of Ultra Musical Festival), for $200somethin round trip, I don't know if I can pass up on this airline.

How is the ride if you happen to be in a comfortable seat?

horrible customer service, and one plane my friend was on cancelled take off because the battery went out, mid take off. had to switch planes, delayed flight to chicago 3 hours.

Only airline that I know of thats cheaper than SW
laugh.gif

I was thinking about getting a RT ticket for 121 to Vegas.

The worst airline I ever flew with. Sears don't decline, they charge for everything, and seats feel like school bus joints. They charge 35 for the first bag, then 40 for the second, even if it's a carry on. Airline is garbage. Will not recommend this airline to my worst enemy. The planes are dated too. You have better luck sleeping on a school bus seat than the crap they offer. Good thing I snuck my bagge on( two carry ons). Woulda coated me 80~ bucks.

Spirit is legit but it's a coupon airline so you get what you pay for.

Fly into Ft lauderdale airport.

when i went to Puerto Rico last summer i had to fly Spirit .... good price. everything else was terrible ... if you aren't hard up for money fly someone else.

Overnight and there is a backlash against Spirit 
laugh.gif

Any other alternatives besides South West? Or how about this, anyone know of any websites I should be looking at for cheap(er) flights?

The initial price of the ticket will be cheap but factor in they make you pay around $40-$60 for your bags and there is additional cost if you want to select your seat. From my experience the end result cost me more than about to other airlines (Washington DC - Ft Lauderdale). My flights were delayed at least 2hrs each way and the plane was very small and dirty. Choice is up to you...

Originally Posted by MECKS

horrible customer service, delayed flights 

They are cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have had the same issues as when flying with them. We were flying out of Ft. Laud and our flight was delayed 4 hours (technical issues) and didn't want to compensate or anything. 

DO NOT FLY SPIRIT.

They charge for everything. Carry-on bags, water on the flight.

I've flown on nearly every airline (seriously) over the past year and Spirit was by far the worst experience.

Fly into fort lauderdale.. I personally hate spirit but you can't beat the prices. You won't be comfortable and they'll charge on the first bag (besides carry ons) but like I said the prices are cheap so you get what you pay for

Originally Posted by sreggie101

chinatown bus of airlines. easy pass..

HIT IT ON THE MARK...

NO BUT SRSLY...

IF YOU GOTTA FLY THEM THEN MAKE SURE YOU BOOK YOU FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO FLY ALOT MORE THAT YEAR JOIN THE MEMBERSHIP...THEY HAVE $9 FLIGHTS TO FLL (FT. LAUDERDALE) FROM LGA OR AC...YOU JUST GOTTA BE RRREALLLLLLY FLEXIBLE WITH YOUR DEP/ARV TIMES

2. PAY FOR YOUR BOARDING PASS AND BAGS ON LINE...IT WILL SAVE YOU ALMOST $40

3. TRY AND TAKE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE..YOU DONT WANNA GET HIT WITH OVER WEIGHT FEE'S

4. MAKE SURE YOU EAT A WHOLE LOT B4 THE FLIGHT. THEY LITERALLY CHARGE YOU FOR EVERYTHING..EXCEPT BATHROOM USE...WHICH WILL BE THE NEXT CHARGE POSSIBLY

5. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN COMFORTABLE CLOTHING CUZ THE SEATS ARE LIKE CARDBOARD AND THEY CHARGE YOU FOR PILLOWS AND BLANKETS.

Flew to Costa Rica a few years back on Spirit...told myself after I got back that NO MATTER how cheap the ticket is, I'll NEVER fly Spirit again. They charge for everything. The seats are cramped (my girl is 5'4" and she had no leg room...i'm 6'1 so you can imagine how I felt) as @!+# and the planes are FILTHY. @!+#, I had two flight attendants cuddling in the row behind me when the lights went dim.
30t6p3b.gif
It's awful...

Back
Top Bottom