Anyone here have a sports scholarship in college or walk on, been recruited etc?

I guess I am coming from a different perspective, but still relevant... I write for Rivals.com. I've seen a lot of the good and bad in recruiting up close. 
Here's one story: I just got lied to by a basketball kid who claimed he had offers from Tennessee and Texas Tech... he was the top scorer in his state, so I didn't doubt him. His AAU coach said the same thing... "yep, Texas Tech would take him right now if he committed" I almost wrote the article, but something didn't seem right... so then I check with a few other people and find out that these were 100% lies. Wow. AAU is dirty, some people will say/do anything to get ahead 
indifferent.gif

recuited pretty heavy by SDSU and steve fisher also had a couple more d1 looks...but things happen, mainly my fault and i pissed them all away. O well, life goes on.

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

played d3, coulda went d1 if i wanted.

Sounds like every bro during freshman year of college:
"yeah, I could have went D1, but..."

A. I tore my ACL

B. The coach hated me

C. My team was bad

D. I had to take care of my dying grandmother

Pick one

Being recruited right now to play D2-D3 Baseball. Nothing special, but it is still cool regardless. Just gotta get through clearinghouse and I'll have my choice of 15+ schools.

that one guy who had a thread about himself.

it's like truth gets busy or something.

idk he was trying to go to the league or something

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

Being recruited right now to play D2-D3 Baseball. Nothing special, but it is still cool regardless. Just gotta get through clearinghouse and I'll have my choice of 15+ schools.

What high school do you go to?

Played D1 soccer at the University of Maryland under one of my mentors, Coach Cirovski. 

We won a national title in 2005, and although I didn't play in the final, it remains one of the greatest moments of my life. Maurice Edu, Chris Seitz, and Robbie Rogers were all on that team, but funnily enough we won on it all on a deflected free kick.
laugh.gif

4821666a901e8cd1b3200277084fce5ad3d6daaa_r.jpg

pimp.gif

/humblebrag

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Played D1 soccer at the University of Maryland under one of my mentors, Coach Cirovski. 

We won a national title in 2005, and although I didn't play in the final, it remains one of the greatest moments of my life. Maurice Edu, Chris Seitz, and Robbie Rogers were all on that team, but funnily enough we won on it all on a deflected free kick.
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

/humblebrag

Get those waterboy skills up.
laugh.gif

I've often wondered how much more competitive it would be for soccer players get scholarships if the US public in general took the sport seriously.  A buddy of mine toured on some All-Europe team with his soccer academy and he was barely a teen.  

Originally Posted by cotter07

Sounds like every bro during freshman year of college:
"yeah, I could have went D1, but..."

A. I tore my ACL

B. The coach hated me

Pick Two
   That's me. lol. Realtalk, I wonder if I could have been good enough to somewhere. Even if it was somewhere like Hofstra or something for football. no crying over spilled milk.

I will tell you a  quick story from a coaches perspective. I have had plenty of experience dealing with D1 coaches and assistants and too many stories to share. But everything that yoo hear about is mostly true. The most I was offered was a paid trip to a very high profile sporting event for my advice to send a player to school "X". I was also confronted by the head coach at the time of one of the biggest college hoop programs in the country. He said to me " So I heard "coach X" offered you $ 250,000 for "player X". Which was totally false, but I was spotted out to dinner in Orlando with that coach who supposedly offered me that money. These coaches knew I had some influence on high major prospects in the area, even ones I didnt coach and they wanted to all be my friend.

I never payed for a meal on the road while traveling to all the big AAU events. My cell phone was always ringing off the hook. Funny thing was once I stopped coaching all these "friends" that I made would not return my calls or ever call me. Only a couple of coaches from my coaching time I am still in contact with. The whole world of AAU and recruiting is crazy

i was being recruited by a habdful of D3 school for basketball. Decided not to. still regret it.

Originally Posted by dland24

What high school do you go to?

Woodside. I top out at about 83-84, but I was 6-2 my junior year+summer with 70+ k's. You don't havta be throwing 95+ to receive looks, coaches look at potential more than anything. A 6'2 righty like myself will be 6'4 by the time he reaches campus.

Originally Posted by laker4lifeman

laugh.gif
It's really not that far-fetched for a DIII player to be capable of making a DI team.

Getting playing time is another issue altogether, but making a roster is not out of the question.

Originally Posted by Put em up

recuited pretty heavy by SDSU and steve fisher also had a couple more d1 looks...but things happen, mainly my fault and i pissed them all away. O well, life goes on.

Who are you? Had offers my jr year from SDSU, Utah St, Idaho...Ended up at a very solid NAIA, decided to go to CSUF after 1 year there and am here now.

So you aren't actually Andrew Luck?

Back
Top Bottom