Anyone know anything about Saab's?

I have been looking around for a new car to get me through college and first few years after college. I have seen that a lot of Saab's can be found for agood price in my area in the 99-02 range. I have heard mixed reviews and would just like to hear if anyone has one or knows someone with one and could tell meabout the reliability and if it is an overall good car.

Well both my cars have been Dodge's, a 04 Intrepid and my current 06 Status. I don't know if you're more into look or reliability, but both of thecars I mentioned gave me no problems.

I bought the stratus se brand-new for $9000 in 2006 with zero miles on it. Right now she's sitting on 52,000 miles and never had a problem. I tinted thewindows, put 18s on it and have custom interior/sound. It looks great.

And in general, Saabs are pretty ugly.

Originally Posted by DEpast

Well both my cars have been Dodge's, a 04 Intrepid and my current 06 Status. I don't know if you're more into look or reliability, but both of the cars I mentioned gave me no problems.

I bought the stratus se brand-new for $9000 in 2006 with zero miles on it. Right now she's sitting on 52,000 miles and never had a problem. I tinted the windows, put 18s on it and have custom interior/sound. It looks great.

You drive a got damn stratus
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

Saabs can be had for cheap and are not seen as much as other luxury cars for a reason.......LOOKS.

Volvo, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Benz............>Saab.

I heard they can actually last a while though.

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

Well both my cars have been Dodge's, a 04 Intrepid and my current 06 Status. I don't know if you're more into look or reliability, but both of the cars I mentioned gave me no problems.

I bought the stratus se brand-new for $9000 in 2006 with zero miles on it. Right now she's sitting on 52,000 miles and never had a problem. I tinted the windows, put 18s on it and have custom interior/sound. It looks great.

You drive a got damn stratus
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

It's all personal preference and Stratus' have a much higher Blue Book value as well as crash safety test. What's wrong with a stratus' look?Buying one from the dealer might look like your basic 4-door car but not after getting after-market additions.

Let's stay on topic please.

Good cars. A bit on the small side but they are fun to drive. My friend has a 93 4 door and I drove it a few times. I liked it. Good acceleration, handlesfairly well. Plus they are very safe in case you do have an accident. Brand new they are a bit overpriced tho is their only downside.

52k in 3yrs????????? Saabs are alright. My girlfriends uncle owns a Saab 2004 93-Convertible. I think its pretty hot. But honestly, I shoot for anInfiniti.

I am done with Dodge probably forever. The Dodge Intrepid is the worst car ever. My parents had 2 of them and one of them was just given away because itneeded a third engine and the other one is barely going along on the 2nd one. Either way I am not really considering looks on the car really. I think the9-5s are decent looking enough. They seem pretty luxurious and fun to drive but I am worried about cost to maintain and reliability.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Good cars. A bit on the small side but they are fun to drive. My friend has a 93 4 door and I drove it a few times. I liked it. Good acceleration, handles fairly well. Plus they are very safe in case you do have an accident. Brand new they are a bit overpriced tho is their only downside.
Agreed.......just keep in mind that the AC isn't the best, as the Sweedish never really have the weather to care too much

Originally Posted by babam11218719

I am done with Dodge probably forever. The Dodge Intrepid is the worst car ever. My parents had 2 of them and one of them was just given away because it needed a third engine and the other one is barely going along on the 2nd one. Either way I am not really considering looks on the car really. I think the 9-5s are decent looking enough. They seem pretty luxurious and fun to drive but I am worried about cost to maintain and reliability.

Yeah, the check engine light never did go off.

And to the guy who said "52K in 3 years", yeah I drive my car. I commute back and forth to school everyday and that's 70 miles roundtrip.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by babam11218719

I think the 9-5s are decent looking enough. They seem pretty luxurious and fun to drive but I am worried about cost to maintain and reliability.
I agree, before i found my 02 Volvo s60, i was trynna cop this 02 Saab 9-5 turbo

they're "sporty", they handle and "get out" well, and really, i don't think they're ugly at all...

that car i peeped was SOOOO sick

it had brand new racing alloys on it, turbo, all black leather interior....sick.

but i'm happy with my Volvo, too...

laugh.gif
@after-market additions being 18s, tints and some speakers...
What'd that 02 Volvo run you? The wife and I are going to need a second car soon and a Volvo is on the list or possibilities.

I'm also looking for an older Saab myself. Preferrably the convertible type. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I drive an '01 Saab 9-3 hatch. It handles well, has the creature comforts I need, is good in snow for a small car, and is peppy for a 4-banger (turbo,ftw). I usually get around 35 mpg hwy and my nav almost looks stock in the double-DIN radio . My only complaint is the cost of maintenance and repair - In thepast 5 years, I've had to replace the turbo (gm/saab paid for the majority of that repair), have electrical work done, and replace the front axles (whichmay have more to do with the roads/weather in Michigan than anything). Depending on your location, you may find that the dealer has the only mechanic in thearea that does good work on Saabs and that could be a drain on your pockets. All in all, though, I've been satisfied.

Originally Posted by RocAFellaYall

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Good cars. A bit on the small side but they are fun to drive. My friend has a 93 4 door and I drove it a few times. I liked it. Good acceleration, handles fairly well. Plus they are very safe in case you do have an accident. Brand new they are a bit overpriced tho is their only downside.
Agreed.......just keep in mind that the AC isn't the best, as the Sweedish never really have the weather to care too much
Post 97 Saabs are made by GM anyways...

But yea they are nice cars... i have a Saab 9-3 SE Turbo... nice pick up and 4 cyl keeps decent gas mileage.

I have owned 2 of these cars (RIP to my first one) and i like them very much... handle well in bad weather although back end tends to slide in the snow a bit.

Usually theyre pretty expensive to service but the guy down my road been messin with saabs for mad long and i get good prices on repairs from him.

Saab 9-3 Viggens are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

and Brandon, I just wanted to thank your Georgia Bulldogs for winning at Rupp last night.

That officially knocked Kentucky off the bubble and all-but-locked in my Gamecocks for the Big Dance.

E-props my friend.

Originally Posted by raburns04

I drive an '01 Saab 9-3 hatch. It handles well, has the creature comforts I need, is good in snow for a small car, and is peppy for a 4-banger (turbo, ftw). I usually get around 35 mpg hwy and my nav almost looks stock in the double-DIN radio . My only complaint is the cost of maintenance and repair - In the past 5 years, I've had to replace the turbo (gm/saab paid for the majority of that repair), have electrical work done, and replace the front axles (which may have more to do with the roads/weather in Michigan than anything). Depending on your location, you may find that the dealer has the only mechanic in the area that does good work on Saabs and that could be a drain on your pockets. All in all, though, I've been satisfied.
See that is what I am worried about. Right now I am looking at a 99 9-5 with 1 owner and a clean carfax for 4500. It has 103k on it which reallyis not that bad for a car that age and price. I really cannot afford expensive repairs on this thing and that is why I am hesitant because I don't want toget it and then have to pour in thousands that I don't have on an electrical problem or something.

I've been thinkin about gettin one myself... either that, a Volvo or a Subaru wagon... somethin that doesnt attract the wrong attention

And 5 Grand for a car with 100K miles already on it? That's too much man.

That car has passed over half its lifespan.

What decent car can you get for 5k? I am probably going to end up with another Maxima as that is what I would be driving if I didint wreck the first one.Maximas are impossible to find in my area for under 100k miles and under 5k.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Why not look for a late model Acura/Honda?
I have last time I looked at cars. They hold their value really well and I would end up paying well over my price range for a decent aged andcondition car at around 100k.

Back
Top Bottom