Anyone Practice Buddhism Here On NT? (Philosophically)

I have been given a serious of reading/listening materials from one of my co-workers re: Buddhism. Zen to be exact. So I am here trying to educate myself and I just wanted to know if anyone here is already on board. I am not really looking to make it my religion per-say, but I am looking for different philosophies in the world to consider. We can just use this as an open discussion. I don't know what I am asking you all exactly but just talk to me.

"Please respond" - 
glasses.gif

I have been given a serious of reading/listening materials from one of my co-workers re: Buddhism. Zen to be exact. So I am here trying to educate myself and I just wanted to know if anyone here is already on board. I am not really looking to make it my religion per-say, but I am looking for different philosophies in the world to consider. We can just use this as an open discussion. I don't know what I am asking you all exactly but just talk to me.

"Please respond" - 
glasses.gif

the social implications and personal guidance some of it provides is interesting... I just cant really submit to any deities. That will never be a goal.

the social implications and personal guidance some of it provides is interesting... I just cant really submit to any deities. That will never be a goal.

i agree with buddhist philosophy but i dont practice buddhism as an actual religion

I'm not a member of the religion, but I do employ many of its principles.
I just cant really submit to any deities.
Buddha isn't a deity. He's a fat guy that left his rich family and started a new way of life.

Buddha isn't a deity. He's a fat guy that left his rich family and started a new way of life.

i agree with buddhist philosophy but i dont practice buddhism as an actual religion

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Specific Examples of the things that you find interesting Dame?
the general ones about just employing the golden rule. trying to improve humanity. looking to the self to gain acceptance. Just a lot of things that make you more humble and appreciative of life.
If there was a religion of "secular humanism" i'd probably be a member. I'd just focus on humanity. 

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

you don't have to though.. 
a Buddhist once told me you can practice the principles w/o actually having to "worship" anything/anyone. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Specific Examples of the things that you find interesting Dame?
the general ones about just employing the golden rule. trying to improve humanity. looking to the self to gain acceptance. Just a lot of things that make you more humble and appreciative of life.
If there was a religion of "secular humanism" i'd probably be a member. I'd just focus on humanity. 

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

you don't have to though.. 
a Buddhist once told me you can practice the principles w/o actually having to "worship" anything/anyone. 

My parents are Buddhist so I had a lot of Buddhist principles instilled in me growing up, even though I don't consider myself Buddhist (I'm more Agnostic). A lot of it is really simple...no killing, no stealing, no greed, etc., those signs were always put all over the walls in the monastery my parents took me to.

Also a big thing is karma (like you all probably know), some believe stuff like, if you do (insert crime) you will become an insect in your next life or something like that. Obviously not like that, but yeah.

My parents are Buddhist so I had a lot of Buddhist principles instilled in me growing up, even though I don't consider myself Buddhist (I'm more Agnostic). A lot of it is really simple...no killing, no stealing, no greed, etc., those signs were always put all over the walls in the monastery my parents took me to.

Also a big thing is karma (like you all probably know), some believe stuff like, if you do (insert crime) you will become an insect in your next life or something like that. Obviously not like that, but yeah.

Buddhism doesn't have any actual "Dieties", if I'm not mistaken. Anyhow life would be a much better place is there were more Buddhists.

Buddhism doesn't have any actual "Dieties", if I'm not mistaken. Anyhow life would be a much better place is there were more Buddhists.

Originally Posted by acidicality

I think Karma is two things.
1. It makes people feel like you get rewarded for doing good thigns and punished for doing bad. I don't subscribe to it. I think good people have a tendency to be helped by other good people just because they're good people Bad things happen to bad people because they tend to be in situations that could lead to bad consequences. 

2. people aren't ready to adopt the notion that the universe is indifferent. 

Originally Posted by acidicality

I think Karma is two things.
1. It makes people feel like you get rewarded for doing good thigns and punished for doing bad. I don't subscribe to it. I think good people have a tendency to be helped by other good people just because they're good people Bad things happen to bad people because they tend to be in situations that could lead to bad consequences. 

2. people aren't ready to adopt the notion that the universe is indifferent. 

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If you're not joking than shame on your ignorance.

And I am Buddhist btw. 

And I am Buddhist btw. 

a few q's if any1 can help answer em.

how is adultery viewed in buddhism? i heard its as bad as murder.

what is his view on marriage?  and what is his philosophy on sex before married?

is masturbation considered a sin in buddhism?

are animals ranked a certain way in reincarnation?  like a dog is higher than a roach etc etc.
or is it random.. like say i die tomorrow i mite get put back on earth as a dog then my next life as a cow.

does buddha believe in god?

i was told about buddha's heaven and supposedly when you get there.. there is still a ranking system.
like you're on a different plane but you must continue to work on your spiritual enlightenment and will gain higher and higher.
does anyone have any ideas what's heaven like?

sorry if i sound stupid im know nothing about buddism.  my gf mom and dad believe in him.
i go to church and read the bible because thats what black people do.  im tryna to think outside the box. help okay pls

a few q's if any1 can help answer em.

how is adultery viewed in buddhism? i heard its as bad as murder.

what is his view on marriage?  and what is his philosophy on sex before married?

is masturbation considered a sin in buddhism?

are animals ranked a certain way in reincarnation?  like a dog is higher than a roach etc etc.
or is it random.. like say i die tomorrow i mite get put back on earth as a dog then my next life as a cow.

does buddha believe in god?

i was told about buddha's heaven and supposedly when you get there.. there is still a ranking system.
like you're on a different plane but you must continue to work on your spiritual enlightenment and will gain higher and higher.
does anyone have any ideas what's heaven like?

sorry if i sound stupid im know nothing about buddism.  my gf mom and dad believe in him.
i go to church and read the bible because thats what black people do.  im tryna to think outside the box. help okay pls

Originally Posted by fittednoob

And I am Buddhist btw. 

I saw the Richard Gere narrated documentary, don't worry
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom