Anyone Work For A Startup?

I hate when companies say unlimited PTO/unlimited sick time. I'd rather cash out when I decide to leave the company.

I cashed out 6 weeks when I bounced from my previous company.

Everything that's been said is pretty spot on. I'm working for a public company now and I've been doing less work than what I'm use to. Gets pretty boring some days and some days I work like 4 hours lol

Yes I took a job with one out of my undergrad and been working for them over 4 years. They finally got some more funding after trying to raise capital since I've been there, but im leaving Florida and taking a job in the D.C. Area.

My experience has been great and totally unique to anyone else my age. That has helped me build a great resume and given me leverage to get a good job elsewhere. The negatives are that you are usually sacrificing stability, money, and benefits to get these opportunities with a startup. I'm trying to start a family soon so those things are now more important to me than they were coming out of college.

Hey everyone, appreciate all of the advice that everyone has shared thus far. I'll answer some questions.

How big is the company?

The company ended up not actually being a start up, but a spin off company. The first red flag was the recruiter not wanting to share many details about the company - I can understand this in some areas (defense, cryptography, etc) but it just seemed off putting.

After talking with the recruiter a little more and asking details about the HQ, they finally said that it was not a start up in a true sense, but a new company affiliated with any established, California based one. The "company" that wanted to hire me was a team of less than 100. They were "affiliated" with a company that has hundreds on staff.

I know what that means and I thanked the recruiter kindly for his time, and told them I was no longer interested. The company is in the Collections industry.

I will never go back to a startup. When I review contract offers and see that it's from a startup, I kindly turn them down.

Never is a strong word - was it your experience with one particular startup that out you off of them, or is it the startup culture as a whole? I have friends who work for startups and I know that they can seem more like a cult than a place of business.

- Engineers are first class citizens and they don't let you forget that.

If the role you're being offered is a DBA, it's considered engineering so you will be treated very well in a startup.

And don't you forget it! :pimp: But for real, thanks for weighing in - always great to hear from a vet who did more than go along for the ride.

After putting a decade in, do you have any aspirations to create your own startup? Did your opinion on that change at all from the time you started?

My dream is to eventually be a DBA or Network Admin

I remember talking with you in the IT thread when you were just first starting the Comp Sci thing - I think at that time you were double majoring with something related to the medical field. At that time, I was still working toward becoming a DBA.

Fast forward a couple years, and I'm doing my dream job (albeit, not for a dream company) and it's everything I ever imagined. Keep working towards it my guy. If I can make it happen, you can too.

Thanks again for all of the wise words.

I remember talking with you in the IT thread when you were just first starting the Comp Sci thing - I think at that time you were double majoring with something related to the medical field. At that time, I was still working toward becoming a DBA.

Yep I majored in Molecular Biology and minored in Comp Sci. Got my CCENT a while back, taking the test for my CCNA soon. I haven't forgotten your words of wisdom man, hoping to follow in your footsteps to that admin role

After putting a decade in, do you have any aspirations to create your own startup? Did your opinion on that change at all from the time you started?

Actually: https://niketalk.com/threads/welcome-to-the-new-niketalk.664249/ - If you read closely, I started Community Hired to help move Huddler sites off of the platform into their new homes. Our flagship site: NikeTalk :nthat:

My startup isn't the same as you guys see/read about in Silicon Valley. We are not VC funded, we aren't trust funded. I'm proud to say that we are family-owned, operated by women and minorities who value the greater good in being ethical, responsible, transparent, and above all: we love communities we work for. Aim for the stars, right?:emoji_rocket::emoji_stars:

Back
Top Bottom