Apparently Nas had ghostwriters for "Untitled"

I really REALLY don't want to believe this.

Had a convo about this the other day.

What really constitutes ghostwriting? (Besides obviously handing a written 16 to someone)

Last edited:
Not the first time I've heard that ghostwriting rumor with Nas...

Dream Hampton, the writer who was talking about this on Twitter, is pretty credible...She said she heard about six reference tracks...

Listening to album now, you can hear a lot of both. The song Untiled is all Stic Man, from the flow to the lyrics. Same thing with Queens Get the Money and Jay.   If I had to guess which ones:

Jay Elec: Queens Get the Money, America  

Stic Man: You Can't Stop Us Now, Sly Fox, N*gger, Untitled 

I'm sure that I'm off, but i think it's clear that Untitled is a little out of Nas' depth and he got considerable help. 

I checked out the article and it was a reach. The guy who wrote it had a responsibility to define ghostwriting for the person who isn't an artist. Ghostwriting could involve anything from writing the song, a hook, a line, a verse, a suggestion or the concept. stic.man and Jay Electronica most likely helped on the tracks they produced. Now people believe that he didn't write Untitled because of a poorly written piece. You check the credits to any CD and there are "ghostwriters". People were shocked because of how we hold Nas in hip hop.

the guy apparently close to jay electronica said he heard reference tracks for 6 or so songs from the album the jay elec penned. reference tracks b. those joints are near complete. not a good look.

Jay E wrote QGTM & im pretty sure Proclamation. has his flow & lyrics alllll over them. idk about the rest

Nas has ghostwritten for many artist in the industry.....here is just a few:

Will Smith’s “Just Cruisin” – ghost-written by Nas
Will Smith’s “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It” – ghost-written by Nas
Will Smith’s “Yes Yes Ya’ll” – co-written by Nas & Skillz
Will Smith’s “Chasin’ Forever” – co-written by Nas & Skillz
AZ’s "Mo Money, Mo Murder" – (AZ’s verse) co-written by Nas & AZ
Olu Dara’s "The Jungle" – ghost-written by Nas
Foxy’s Verse on "Affirmative Action" – ghost-written by Nas
Foxy’s Verse on "Hardcore" – ghost-written by Nas
Foxy’s Verse on "Encore" – ghost-written by Nas
Foxy’s Verse on "Firm Fiasco" – ghost-written by Nas
Foxy’s Verse on "Untouchable" – co-written by Nas & Mel Man
Foxy’s Verse on "Firm Biz" – co-written by Nas & AZ
Foxy’s Verse on "Executive Decision" co-written by Nas & Nature
Jermaine Dupri’s "Turn It Out" – co-written by Nas & ROC
Jermaine Dupri’s "I Gotta Have It" – co-written by Nas & Bryan M. Cox
Jermaine Dupri’s "Still Gotta Have It" – co-written by Nas, Monica, & B. M. Cox
Cha Cha’s "Momma" – ghost-written by Nas
Fat Joe’s "Jon Blaze" – (Fat Joe’s verse) ghost-written by Nas
Timbaland’s "To My…" – ghost-written by Nas
Diddy’s “Journey Through The Life” – (Diddy’s verse) ghost-written by Nas
RUN DMC’s "Queen’s Day" – (Run’s & DMC’s verses) co-written by Nas, Prodigy, & Havoc
Capone-N-Noreaga’s "B EZ" – (Nore’s verse) co-written by Nas & Capone
Kay Slay’s "Too Much 4 Me" – (Foxy’s verse) co-written by Nas
The Neptunes’ "Popular Thug" – (Pharell’s verse) ghost-written by Nas
Diddy’s “Everything I Love” – co-written by Common & Nas

sounds unbelievable, i think as an artist though, he takes suggestions, and they probably go over it together to see how words play out to be, but I Nas should be writing most of all of it right?

Ghostwriting is encompasses so much and is such a broad term :lol:. Everyone has had a "ghostwriter" or two on their tracks before. Ghostwriting extends from kicking around concepts and ideas all the way to actually throwing together a verse for someone.

[h2]Nas Doesn’t Write His Rhymes?[/h2]Posted: August 14, 2012 in Articles
Tags: Hip Hop, Jay Electronica, Nas, Rap

nas-jay-electronica.jpg

Disclaimer: Santa Claus isn’t real.

Although I never believed in Santa Claus, I’m assuming this must be the feeling kids worldwide felt when they found out Kris Kringle wasn’t real. Despite the fact Nas could be considered the classic underachiever, as I stated in my previous post about Life Is Good, I’ve still supported him his entire career. Nas, Big L and Big Pun are 3 of the main reasons I wanted to rap in the first place. Even during the times he wasn’t making the best songs, fans could hold onto the “he’s still the best lyricist” ideology. Needless to say, if he doesn’t actually write his own rhymes, that changes the entire game. What’s next? Are you going to tell me wrestling isn’t real? God forbid, I say.

To be clear, I’m writing this post because of this article on the Rappers I Know website. In it, the writer recalls a time back in 2007 when he was working for Hot 97. He tells the story of a phone conversation he had with Jay Electronica, where he professed to have ghostwritten for Mr. Jones. Then, just yesterday, writer dream hampton tweeted most of Nas’ ****** album was written by Jay and stic.man from Dead Prez. Do you have any idea what that news does to a lifelong fan? All this does is open the door to more questions. If he didn’t write that album, what else hasn’t he written?

While I’ve always been a staunch Nas supporter, this isn’t the first time he’s been accused of imaginary pen work. Back in the 90s, Cormega claimed to have written some of Nas’ rhymes, including his verse on “Affirmative Action” from his It Was Written album. Sidebar, given the nature of this article, that’s a funny title for an album. In any case, given that Nas is responsible for Illmatic and ghostwriting for others, I don’t understand why he’d need someone to write for him. That sounds lazy as **** to me. His lyricism is all he has left. It’s his only saving grace for the periods of bad music. If he’s no longer responsible for that, I can’t look at him the same way. In the end, I guess that’s another reason for me not to like Life Is Good as much. I’m going to go drink now. Good day.

Explains why it wasn't that great of an album.
explains why your opinion is irrelevant :rolleyes

theres a difference between writing a song WITH somebody opposed to him literally rhyming somebody else words

but i think it's clear that Untitled is a little out of Nas' depth
how so? thats not true at all :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom