Apple 2012 keynote : live blog link pg 1

yeah but to compare a MBP to an old model HP laptop which probably does not even run on SSD is not really a fair comparison.

There are some newer lightweight laptops provided by Asus, Samsung, etc which have the same if not better specs for few hundred less, but it all depends of what you want/interface you prefer, etc.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

yeah but to compare a MBP to an old model HP laptop which probably does not even run on SSD is not really a fair comparison.

There are some newer lightweight laptops provided by Asus, Samsung, etc which have the same if not better specs for few hundred less, but it all depends of what you want/interface you prefer, etc.
Very true.  I guess I was just noting that after dealing with that HP joint, I was kind of driven to try something different.  I will also say that every other PC I've used has been nothing but a headache after awhile though.  And my work computer which is supposed to be beefed up to handle our workload?  Maaaaaaaaaaan.....I've been close to ripping it outta the wall and smashing it in the middle of the office.  I actually punched the monitor once and left a knuckle imprint on it.  
ohwell.gif

So yeah, I'm sure there are better options than our crappy HP out there.  But I guess I'm just too invested to switch now.  I'm not a dude who buys a new computer every time they release.  And I don't build them either.  So one of my main criteria is that it has to last how it was when I bought it.  I personally haven't had much luck with PCs lasting, so Apple it is.  

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by bns1201

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Anybody else think $2200+ tax is extremely OD?

Yes to the trillionth degree.

not at all. the amount of headaches and time wasted that came with a PC, hell, even with an old mac, is WELL worth 2200 to me. Plus, the things that this powerhouse will be able to do...I'll pay it off in a weekends time.

macbook pros are engineered extremely well but the msrp on these are OD. i own a macbook pro and love it but don't get it twisted. I kno a good amount of $$ is for the name. case in point, the mac pro desktop. that bullsh1t is just an expensive aluminum unibody cheese grater. fk outta here with all that quad core madness and whatnot, gimme half of what it cost to buy it and ill build u a windows 7 beast, guaranteed to body at a bargain price. once w8 comes out, there is no competition, word to fabolous.

i will admit tho, that the laptops are well built. my mbp 13" was rated at 10hrs of battery life and was the thinnest joint out there. as a matter of fact, its still one of the best packages out now. all these other competitors try to engineer something with a battery attachment
grin.gif
cmon son. keep it real or keep it moving.

technology moves fast, and my core 2 duo is lookin like kevin garnett nowadays with all these ivy bridges and sandy bridges and w.e..but it def gets the job done.

...that new iphone is ugly as *%$@ tho
30t6p3b.gif

well damb... expert analysis my dude. You sound like you know what you're talking about so I'm going to agree.
Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Anybody else think $2200+ tax is extremely OD?

raises hand...

bout to cop a refurbed 27" imac n put a protection plan on it
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

copped...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This may be a dumb question but it said the iOS 6 is coming out for phones 3GS and greater. I have an the iPhone 4, am I gonna be getting all this Siri stuff or do I need the 4s or greater. Cause it looks like most of the upgrades have to do with Siri.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by nike4KJA05

The new macbook is
pimp.gif
 but the price is 
grin.gif
. I'll stick with the one I copped last year. I gotta hop on the applecare still though. For those who have apple care, what are you really entitled to when you're macbook breaks down or something and is it worth the purchase?
I have a 15 inch fall 08 unibody pro.  My 3 year protection plan ended in October of 2011.  I took it to the store 2 weeks before it expired and they:

changed the mother board
gave me a new DVD drive
gave me a new screen
changed the cables that connected everything
and something else that was pretty minor.

I got my laptop back after a week. Now even though those parts are pretty cheap now.  That's probably around $300-$500 worth of things that I paid $200 for when I bought the warranty at the time.

Why did they do that?
Did those things needed to be fixed or were you just getting your money's worth outta the plan?
Why didn't they just give you a new mac, if they're gonna do all that.
laugh.gif

Also, did they sent it back to you or did you have to go back to the store?

those new macbook pro's are nice but not for the price. i'll hold off till my lil' HP craps out on me. maybe ill cop one next year.

Originally Posted by Jay02

This may be a dumb question but it said the iOS 6 is coming out for phones 3GS and greater. I have an the iPhone 4, am I gonna be getting all this Siri stuff or do I need the 4s or greater. Cause it looks like most of the upgrades have to do with Siri.

You idiot, when did it say iphone 4 was getting siri? 
Only the new iPad is getting Siri

What's the comparison for determining $2200 to be too much for the new MBP? Show me the cost of other laptops with retina displays. Oh wait, there aren't any. My only disappointment in WWDC was the lack of AppleTV apps.

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

"iOS 6 is a great release for all of our developers, and we're giving out a beta release to all of our developers today."  "It ships this fall, supports 3GS and greater iPhones, 2nd generation iPads and newer, and the 4th generation iPod touch."
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]The hell does this mean then. Everything but Siri? And why you gotta be so hostile...[/font]

Yes it means that pretty much most of the new features minus siri. But it won't be all of them probably.

Originally Posted by iYen

Originally Posted by nike4KJA05

The new macbook is
pimp.gif
 but the price is 
grin.gif
. I'll stick with the one I copped last year. I gotta hop on the applecare still though. For those who have apple care, what are you really entitled to when you're macbook breaks down or something and is it worth the purchase?
I have a 15 inch fall 08 unibody pro.  My 3 year protection plan ended in October of 2011.  I took it to the store 2 weeks before it expired and they:

changed the mother board
gave me a new DVD drive
gave me a new screen

I got my laptop back after a week. Now even though those parts are pretty cheap now.  That's probably around $300-$500 worth of things that I paid $200 for when I bought the warranty at the time.

Why did they do that?
Did those things needed to be fixed or were you just getting your money's worth outta the plan?
laugh.gif

I had screen flickering and the battery was giving me problems so I decided to take it in since the warranty was about to expire.  Went to the genius bar and the guy said well I do see a problem with the screen and your battery looks a little bloated.  He gave me 2 options.  Either they do things in house and they only fix it the problems that he sees, or he'll send it out to a service center (it was in Kentucky I think) and they'll do a thorough diagnostic and fix everything and anything that is potentially wrong with it.  But the kick was that I would be without a laptop for a week.  I wanted to give this laptop some more life before I decide to update to a new macbook pro so I chose to do it.  I had to go to the store a week later to pick it up and they gave me a list of all the things they replace.

But to answer the question of why they didn't give me a new laptop if it had that many problems?  I have no clue but eitherway I got my money's worth from the warranty.

That $2200 price tag 
grin.gif
..i'll definitely be getting that student discount (even thought I graduate from college years ago
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
) to bring it to an even 2K.

However, do you all recommend apple care?

I've been in the market for a MBP for a while now.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

What's the comparison for determining $2200 to be too much for the new MBP? Show me the cost of other laptops with retina displays. Oh wait, there aren't any. My only disappointment in WWDC was the lack of AppleTV apps.
Retina display or not its not worth that much, especially considering its being marketed as a portable laptop yet still weights over 4.5lbs.
But anyway I did not know they released a new macbook air as well, may have to look into buying the newer model or buying a slightly used older model.

Can somebody tell exactly which model has the 10 hour battery life for mbp 's? I need an on-location laptop for time-lapses out in the desert etc. Thanx

Why is everyone bugging out about the price? If you add a SSD to a regular priced 15in MBP it makes it $2300...

The screen isn't whats making it go over in price... Its the SSD.

Not to mention, it comes with 8 gb of ram just like the $2200 version of the regular 15inch and the graphics card has 1gb of ram instead of 512mb of ram...

So add the SSD + the updated Ram + updated graphics card + the new display... You guys are expecting it to cost the same as the one that has less than it? Hell, if you were to add these upgrades yourself through the site you'd still be paying a little more over $2200...

i'll stick to my 2010 mbp 15" i5 -- $1300
pimp.gif

like dude said ... apple price points are ridiculous ... and apple products (i own several) are overpriced and don't all run smooth. I already had my motherboard replaced ... that was $450 ... didn't pay it but the receipt w/ the new warranty gives u the price ... apple is just like any other company that has to answer to shareholders... eventually they get full of themselves and cut corners ...

company isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be ... it's a name and a cool design ...

btw ... i like the design of the new mbps ... looks like they finally are taking the time to engineer a proper mbp ... but not at those prices

Originally Posted by iYen

changed the mother board
gave me a new DVD drive
gave me a new screen

Why did they do that?
laugh.gif

I had screen flickering and the battery was giving me problems so I decided to take it in since the warranty was about to expire.  Went to the genius bar and the guy said well I do see a problem with the screen and your battery looks a little bloated.  He gave me 2 options.  Either they do things in house and they only fix it the problems that he sees, or he'll send it out to a service center (it was in Kentucky I think) and they'll do a thorough diagnostic and fix everything and anything that is potentially wrong with it.  But the kick was that I would be without a laptop for a week.  I wanted to give this laptop some more life before I decide to update to a new macbook pro so I chose to do it.  I had to go to the store a week later to pick it up and they gave me a list of all the things they replace.

But to answer the question of why they didn't give me a new laptop if it had that many problems?  I have no clue but eitherway I got my money's worth from the warranty.

Thanks for the insight.
Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

That $2200 price tag 
grin.gif
..i'll definitely be getting that student discount (even thought I graduate from college years ago
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
) to bring it to an even 2K.

However, do you all recommend apple care?

I've been in the market for a MBP for a while now.

I would reccommend applcare if you don't plan on replacing your mac for at least two years.
My applecare has only come in handy for a new charger, other than that I haven't had any major problems with my mac.
I've had some days when it wouldn't turn on for hours or days at a time, but then it started working again. IDK why.
Try looking on ebay for a deal on an applecare plan.

Originally Posted by buggz05

Can somebody tell exactly which model has the 10 hour battery life for mbp 's? I need an on-location laptop for time-lapses out in the desert etc. Thanx

I know for sure that the mid 2010 13in mbp, is that one that apple claims has the 10 hour battery.
To get 10 hours of use, you have to be using the least amount of power.
I usually get 5-6 hours of usage.

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

"iOS 6 is a great release for all of our developers, and we're giving out a beta release to all of our developers today."  "It ships this fall, supports 3GS and greater iPhones, 2nd generation iPads and newer, and the 4th generation iPod touch."
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]The hell does this mean then. Everything but Siri? And why you gotta be so hostile...[/font]

thank you jay was just about to post the samething

Was hoping they would add the retina display to the 13" MBP.. Now I have to decide if I should go with the 13" Air or 13" MBP

Back
Top Bottom