Approaching 30.. is it too late for school?

I know most would say that its never too late.. education is important
but for someone who's never finished college/uni before and is thinking about it, serious advice is needed

start over in an environment where almost everyone is 10 years younger
getting back into the job force in your 30s with debt
not knowing if your chosen career path means success in comparision to starting a business, or staying at a current job and working your way up
etc.

* I re-read some of your advice and I hope yall can relate to my situation..
I do not live at home
I do not come from a family that I can depend on financially
and come out with a job that can pay to support my lifestyle (nevermind the recession and hopes of getting a job, period)
and never finished college before

any advice,suggestions

Never too old family...if u got the drive u can do it...there are sr. Citizens at my college taking classes so 30 is nuttin

I'm going to be 27 next year, going to a CC in the Winter/Spring to get back on the grind. Then in the Fall, I will finally make a push to start my MPAprogram. Got to get it done before I am 30.

It is never too late though, plenty of schools offer night classes for working professionals, so they can get their BA/BS without having to leave the workforce.

I will say that the "college experience" has passed you by. Don't be that guy,
laugh.gif

The most important question is what you were doing this entire time? If you have a set career and you want to pursue a higher degree than go for it. Ifyou're just bumming around at a dead end job and no real goals then it would be a waste of time and a very bad financial move unless you can getscholarships/grants. The job market is more willing to give internships to younger college kids than someone who is the same age/older.

u can never be too old to learn. don't buy into the hype about the atmosphere being 10yrs younger and all because it's all hype. That image that youhave in your head about the atmosphere is the hype they sell to youngins to get them to come to the school in first place. College is a business with a productthat is heavily advertised. If ur a mature person and you are doing what you came there to do, and you know the importance of it as well you really won'tbe phased by the atmosphere. Now if you are immature and want to be one of those ppl trying to make up for a lost "college experience" then you wouldbe starting out on the wrong foot. It's kinda annoying seeing ppl who r grown ups competing with teens and early twenty year olds for campus popularity.What did that prove??

To sum it up, just have a plan and set practical short term and long term goals.

im 30, and just enroll back into school for next semester .. im doing just fine w/ $$$, i just want the degree just to have it ...dont really need it

I got a friend 40 years old, just got into the physical therapy program with me and I swear sometimes I forget his age (I'm 25 so im not much younger thanyou) so don't worry about being judged by age. You can do it, age does not matter when your dealing with school. What do you want to study? Good luck, mybest wishes.

Go for it. However what you are doing now is a bigger issue than your age. If the job is good with some upward potential then great. If not then go get yours.There is nothing worse then getting married, having a kid, and looking around wondering why you didnt go for it when you had the chance. The debt will be thebiggest issue. Uni's are way over priced in my opinion but they are all successful businesses so obviously many will pay the price for it. You must doeverything you can to keep your debt down or that will bite you later on. Thats my opinion.

my dad went back at 35 for his bachelors and didn't need it at all. I had another friend who tried going back who worked in financial stuff but hatedlearning from professors who he felt never worked in the field and were talking all textbook crap when he had already done the real thing. he ended up notgoing far but is still successful.

Do it, my mom went back and she's in her 40's..with 5 kids and running a daycare and carrying over a 3.5..it makes her feel good to be doing good inschool.

just do it
tongue.gif

i will be 30 in july and i just went back to school this year.
if you are not sure what to do,i would advise the RN program(registered nurse).
thats what im doing.
you will have so many job offers waiting for you when you finish
pimp.gif
and themoney is good
pimp.gif
oh yeah. take what you can afford.
if you can only afford 1 class a semester,take one class.
be sure to apply 4 financial aid though.

also,dont believe the hype.
i was a nervous wreck just thinking about going back.
when i finally sat in the class
laugh.gif
...its not that serious
there will be people older than you trust me

I just graduated with my Bachelor's back in May.

I turned 31 in November.

No, it's not too late at all. All you'll do is get older, my dude. If you're asking near-30 if you're too old, you'll be asking near-40 ifyou're too old.

Sure, you won't be experiencing the party-hard, frat-boy, beer-pong lifestyle that the majority will experience, since they're coming right out ofHS... but 4 years from now, you'll have the same degree anyone else in your field will have.

Never too late. There are a ton of different schools out there as well. I attend a commuter school thats geared toward returning adults (hey i get free credits
laugh.gif
) and so the average age is 35, they offer a ton of night and online courses. Its a state university, 4 year. But even at your typical university there areall ages, so don't worry about that.

Just go for it, the benefits you will reap from it will last you a long time

It's never too late to do anything son, If you put your efforts to it, and keep your priorities straight....You will be pretty good
pimp.gif

never too late. got all the time in the world...just make sure you put that degree to good use

Back
Top Bottom