Approaching 30.. is it too late for school?

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

not to discourage you or anything, but I'm 20 and feel old in college
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Hell no, I'm 20 and I feel young as hell.
laugh.gif
My friendsare older and going to the bars and everything and I gotta call up the younger folks.
smh.gif

Never give up I am barely getting out of a CC to transfer to CSUN I am turning 29 in september. I felt the same way. Til someone told you are going to getolder whether you go to school or do nothing. So the age became a mute point.

I'm 28 and I start broadcasting school on January 26th. Of course I had to get a student loan, but it's for the greater good and also doing somethingthat I would love to do full time. It's never too late. My father is 50 now and he just completed school about 3 years ago and he's a Network Admin athis job and makes good money.

Take your own advice and go get your education my guy. Regardless of age, and it dont matter if u have a masters degree or whatever there is always room forimprovement.

go not because you want a piece of paper, but because of the thirst for knowledge.

i don't think i'll ever stop going to school, partly because of the thirst for knowledge, partly because i want to defer my student loans for as longas possible.

i love learning.. hell..i think i havent learned nearly enough in my lifetime
thats why im definitely going to continue my education

but having the weigh that against current personal/society financial situation, sometimes i wonder if picking up a few books, making a few calls and getting mybusiness started is a better venture at this point in life.. instead of going into debt for the next 4+ years

no,its not. my mom went back to school for 4 years 2 years CC and 2 years at a university. she was around 35 and she is now in the nursing program making about6 figures.

My questions to you would be:

What kind of work experience do you have at this point, and is it in a related field to what you plan on studying?

If so - school may not help all that much, as experience trumps school 9 times out of 10.

If it's a completely new career path your starting on, then school might be a good option... if it's a trade you want to learn, school would be a greatoption in many instances as there are direct correlations you can point to between such teachings and your money made from them - whereas with a bachelorsdegree, it can be harder to measure such things.

If you are feeling like school is what's keeping you from getting where you want however, it's probably not. At your age, if you've worked someserious jobs and done well with them, that's as good a start as a 4-year degree is going to give you.. believe that. But like i said, if it's a wholenew path you're trying to make for yourself and you don't feel like you have any qualifications for this type of work, then school might benefit you...just really weigh the costs out and find a place you can go for cheap, that allows you some flexibility to keep a dayjob and such if you've still got billsto pay. It's a tough call really, but you can't go wrong either way in my opinion, if you put all your efforts into whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom