Aqua 8s Black Friday 2015

Cool comparison reference with this one.

I'm reiterating that I stay feeling stupid for passing on the 2015 version because I stupidly assumed the 2007 was an acceptable version. I didn't realize the discrepancies with the 2007 version until years after the 2015 version came out. The 2007 version looks like a fake now seeing it in retrospect. This comparison post makes me feel dumber about my decision to pass in 2015.

I feel what you're saying, but the 2007's are STILL fire in their OWN right. The used 2007 pair I bought like 5 years ago, crumbled on me last year. Both of my 2015's are STILL DS, SMH. But I'd plan to bring them out soon. Hopefully They don't crumble on me.

Posted in the March Pick Up Thread, but these also belong here.

1993 AJ 8 "Aqua"

2cu1GBt.jpg

6oyjBuK.jpg

avZO5cl.jpg

Z45lvkq.jpg

A9GHoIY.jpg

8s55Bth.jpg

sjkSTlP.jpg

I just opened my OG pair a few days ago. I cant even move them or they fall apart like that. Paint instantly sticks to my fingers. Sad to see how they have fallen apart through the years. Once I moved I put them in temperature controlled storage. They had it warm in there and I guess to much humidity. By the time I took them out all my OGs were oxidized. I know it's the inevitable but I feel like I could have kept them longer before they started deteriorating.

This was back in 2012.
IMAG0565.jpg

Also, 2007 aquas are abysmal dude in my eyes. Grabbed them day one back in 07 and was perhaps more pumped than anything because I loved the 1993 pair so much as a kid, only to get them home and be totally letdown by chintzy midsole paint, wonky shape, and a hollowed out booty.

Hollowed out booty, hehe

Hey man let’s get a photo of today please!
I'm out of town for work atm. I took them down when I took out my 94 cements. I took a line up pic for the reimagined thread. I definitely will take a photo when I make it back home. Won't be for another 2 weeks at least though. I was going to try and take them out but they are so fragile even moving them is risky. They are in a clear plastic bag in the box. I'll try and take them out. I'll take before and after pics I guess. They are in immaculate ds condition other than the midsole.
I have the OG Bugs Bunny ds as well. I haven't opened them up since 2012. I hope they are in better condition. I'll take a picture of those as well.

I'm out of town for work atm. I took them down when I took out my 94 cements. I took a line up pic for the reimagined thread. I definitely will take a photo when I make it back home. Won't be for another 2 weeks at least though. I was going to try and take them out but they are so fragile even moving them is risky. They are in a clear plastic bag in the box. I'll try and take them out. I'll take before and after pics I guess. They are in immaculate ds condition other than the midsole.
I have the OG Bugs Bunny ds as well. I haven't opened them up since 2012. I hope they are in better condition. I'll take a picture of those as well.
Nice! No worries man just throw a pic up when you get time please and thank you. The only color I don’t have from the 93 set is the aquas…. Sadly, most og 8s are well beyond even being able to take them out of the box and look at them.

Man I have a pair of sole swapped ds playoffs from 1993 as well. Terrible glue job, but I can take them out and try a shoe on from time to time without fear of crumbling, which is nice. At this point you might try tracking down a professional and get you some 2015 midsoles under those aquas.

I’m fighting the urge to get a pair of 2015s because I am tired of waiting for a re-release. I’m just concerned about them crumbling.

They won’t

They’re tanks I’ve worn mine 100+ times Ez

You'll typically have like 12-15 years til crumbling happens. Might start seeing glue separation at 10+ years. All depends on storage and climate and how much wear.

I remember ISS/SC forums had the team wearability thread. Those guys were scientists haha
All about how they were stored. Most of my 2000-2010 pairs are falling apart due to a lack of AC in the summer and heat vents blasting warm air during colder months.

Yeah that is the issue. If you go the resell route it’s impossible to know how they were stored.

I just want to wear them not display them.
Shoot for a VNDS pair maybe? At least that way you'll know they've been worn, even if only slightly, rather than a DS pair that's been sitting for almost 10 years now. I got a VNDS pair in my size 13 for pretty much retail, and the midsoles still feel firm and are firmly attached and the shoes don't look like they've been worn at all unless I look real close. With JB/Nike using closed cell polyurethane midsoles on the current 2-10 releases there's no telling how long the new retros can sit before crumbling but like others have said though, and as you yourself already know, storage environment is everything. Hence why I suggest trying for a VNDS pair maybe.

Would you ever get em midsole swapped? I'm performing a swap on my 89 Black Cement 4s now. I might wear em once or twice. My OG playoff 8s sole is perfect. It's weird, they almost look wearable. You just never know how pairs will age.
I thought about it. I have 100+ pairs that need sole swaps though. Don't know where to start. And I don't know anyone who does sole swaps that I trust. They were perfect until I put them into a climate controlled storage unit. Didn't know the climate was controlled to 90 degrees. Smh. I had them in a cool dark room. Once I moved I put them in storage and then all this happened. All my og 13s holograms fogged up and cracked as well. I know it's the inevitable but if for sure sped up the process.

Last edited:
Welp I bought a pair of DS aquas that arrive this morning. I went back and forth on getting a worn pair but the price wasn’t that much difference between the two. Hopefully they Hold up for wearing.
Share a pic of em when they arrive baby. I may follow your lead, I’m jonesin hard for these now after seein that pic earlier in the thread with Phil wearin em. Crazy how just seein that pic all of a sudden sparked my interest. Nostalgia baby💯

Back
Top Bottom