Are Car Notes for Suckas? School me on financing a car please

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by Hugo

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

laugh.gif

I like when people come in and say "DONT DO IT!" with no reason or insight as to why not... If you need a car, you want a certain model, and you can afford it, go for it. It's as simple as that. If I could afford it, I definitely wouldnt mind having a car note on a Nissan GT-R. Why not pay for a car that you really want/need and will use? It's good logic.
ummmmm i use to be a salesman..everyone gets dicd when financing, buddy.
Nope, all depends on how you go about it.  I went thru my credit union, got the loan, walked into the dealership with a check, haggled the price down $9k, and been happy ever since.

im in the process of doing this,
care to elaborate???

What's the best route to seek financing? The bank you use most often? A credit union? The dealership?

What's the best route to seek financing? The bank you use most often? A credit union? The dealership?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i don't care if i'm in the market for a ferrari, i'll buy it a year old and save $30K.
depending on the model -- Ferrari is one of the few cars that I know of that appreciate in value.

Yeah but nothing youll actually be driving. Only the classics are gonna appreciate, hes obviously talking bout something like a 360, 430, 599 etc.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i don't care if i'm in the market for a ferrari, i'll buy it a year old and save $30K.
depending on the model -- Ferrari is one of the few cars that I know of that appreciate in value.

Yeah but nothing youll actually be driving. Only the classics are gonna appreciate, hes obviously talking bout something like a 360, 430, 599 etc.

Are car notes for suckas? Debt is for suckas PERIOD.

The whole credit system is designed to enslave the general population. Why do you think the banks issues credit cards by the millions? That is how they are transferring wealth from "us" to "them". Why do you think they they give out so many credit cards to college students? It's so that they can put kids in debt before they even leave the gate. That way they have a life long transfer of wealth by getting these kids when they are still teenagers. Putting kids in debt when they are young turns them into financial slaves before they know what hit them.

Bottom line - if you can't pay cash for a car, you can't afford it.

Are car notes for suckas? Debt is for suckas PERIOD.

The whole credit system is designed to enslave the general population. Why do you think the banks issues credit cards by the millions? That is how they are transferring wealth from "us" to "them". Why do you think they they give out so many credit cards to college students? It's so that they can put kids in debt before they even leave the gate. That way they have a life long transfer of wealth by getting these kids when they are still teenagers. Putting kids in debt when they are young turns them into financial slaves before they know what hit them.

Bottom line - if you can't pay cash for a car, you can't afford it.

Originally Posted by KiiidThrash

laugh.gif

I like when people come in and say "DONT DO IT!" with no reason or insight as to why not... If you need a car, you want a certain model, and you can afford it, go for it. It's as simple as that. If I could afford it, I definitely wouldnt mind having a car note on a Nissan GT-R. Why not pay for a car that you really want/need and will use? It's good logic.
Nope, all depends on how you go about it.  I went thru my credit union, got the loan, walked into the dealership with a check, haggled the price down $9k, and been happy ever since.

care to elaborate???

Biggest problem when you finance thru the dealer is that you never get to speak to the bank/lender.  The dealership is the middleman and they usually don't have your best interest in mind.  If you shop yourself around to your bank or credit unions you can negotiate for a bigger loan and/or lower interest rate.

Once you got that in the bag, you can travel to any dealership of your choice or even a private seller to find the car of your liking.  Once you select the car, you can negotiate the price directly with the seller.  Dealerships usually give you a "deal" on the price but jerk you on your trade-in or interest rate so they don't lose much money, or sometime, make extra money.  After you got your financing in place you basically have a blank check, not to exceed $XX,XXX.xx (the amount your bank is willing to loan you). 

Your in the driver's seat at this point.  Once you neg. the price of the car down, THEN, and only then, you bring up to them that your interested in trading in your old car.  Now you neg. the value of your trade upwards.  Follow these steps and you won't get jerked.

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

Biggest problem when you finance thru the dealer is that you never get to speak to the bank/lender.  The dealership is the middleman and they usually don't have your best interest in mind.  If you shop yourself around to your bank or credit unions you can negotiate for a bigger loan and/or lower interest rate.

Once you got that in the bag, you can travel to any dealership of your choice or even a private seller to find the car of your liking.  Once you select the car, you can negotiate the price directly with the seller.  Dealerships usually give you a "deal" on the price but jerk you on your trade-in or interest rate so they don't lose much money, or sometime, make extra money.  After you got your financing in place you basically have a blank check, not to exceed $XX,XXX.xx (the amount your bank is willing to loan you). 

Your in the driver's seat at this point.  Once you neg. the price of the car down, THEN, and only then, you bring up to them that your interested in trading in your old car.  Now you neg. the value of your trade upwards.  Follow these steps and you won't get jerked.

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

aight,
so basically, apply for a car loan through my credit union.
once i get the ok, go negotiate from a dealer or private seller for the CASH price on the car which is usually less, but STILL get the car lowered.
then after i get my set price im willing to pay, write them THE LOAN CHECK.
correct?
if im understanding this right, it comes out WAAY cheaper,

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

aight,
once i get the ok, go negotiate from a dealer or private seller for the CASH price on the car which is usually less, but STILL get the car lowered.
correct?

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

good advice here

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

good advice here

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

aight,
correct?
Yupp.  After my third finance and talking to a few insiders, I figure the game out.  Stealership wanted $32k for my last car.  Got them down to $23.3k, $25k after taxes.  Doesn't hurt to walk in there on the last week of the month also.  Some dealerships are under pressure for making numbers.  The last week of the month is usually crunch time for them.  No matter what they offer on your first trip there, tell them your gonna "shop around".  Let them chase you to the door with a lower offer.

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

aight,
correct?
Yupp.  After my third finance and talking to a few insiders, I figure the game out.  Stealership wanted $32k for my last car.  Got them down to $23.3k, $25k after taxes.  Doesn't hurt to walk in there on the last week of the month also.  Some dealerships are under pressure for making numbers.  The last week of the month is usually crunch time for them.  No matter what they offer on your first trip there, tell them your gonna "shop around".  Let them chase you to the door with a lower offer.

You will take a huge depreciation hit when buying a new car. your car value depreciates, newer better models coming out, and the new car euphoria wears off but the loan is still there.The only positive I see from new cars is free maintenance plans like bmw offers. If youre willing to do research i.e. carfax, look for a car with maintenance records, and have a mechanic check out the car, you can save thousands buying from a private seller. If youre not willing to do the work you can go certified pre-owned with warranty. this way someone else takes the depreciation hit and after the first few years depreciation levels off.

As far as financing goes it depends on the rate. If say you can get a 3% car loan but getting a 5% return on your cash, then you should finance. If the loan apy is 7% and you are only getting 1% on your savings then you should pay cash. this is a very simplified example of course but you get the idea.

usually credit unions give better rates than major banks because they are not for profit organizations and usually have more flexibility in working with you if you are having trouble paying back your loan. Also asking family for loans is an option as well, assuming they trust you.

also if youre looking for a used luxury car, remember even though the price is low, the maintenance and replacement parts are still high.

You will take a huge depreciation hit when buying a new car. your car value depreciates, newer better models coming out, and the new car euphoria wears off but the loan is still there.The only positive I see from new cars is free maintenance plans like bmw offers. If youre willing to do research i.e. carfax, look for a car with maintenance records, and have a mechanic check out the car, you can save thousands buying from a private seller. If youre not willing to do the work you can go certified pre-owned with warranty. this way someone else takes the depreciation hit and after the first few years depreciation levels off.

As far as financing goes it depends on the rate. If say you can get a 3% car loan but getting a 5% return on your cash, then you should finance. If the loan apy is 7% and you are only getting 1% on your savings then you should pay cash. this is a very simplified example of course but you get the idea.

usually credit unions give better rates than major banks because they are not for profit organizations and usually have more flexibility in working with you if you are having trouble paying back your loan. Also asking family for loans is an option as well, assuming they trust you.

also if youre looking for a used luxury car, remember even though the price is low, the maintenance and replacement parts are still high.

I would never pay cash on a brand new car. You can invest that $30k + and get part of your note paid for. If it's like a $10,000 car or something I may pay cash for it if I already had good credit.

I would never pay cash on a brand new car. You can invest that $30k + and get part of your note paid for. If it's like a $10,000 car or something I may pay cash for it if I already had good credit.

Financing is no big deal if you finance within your means. Now if you are making 1000 dollars every 2 weeks and you are paying 500 a month for a car, well you are a damn fool. SO many of my friends have fallen into that trap and they ending up %$#+%#@ their credit up for 5-7 years (time it takes for that repo to come off your credit report).

First thing is to make sure you have established credit (enough to where that you dont get uber ****ed on the apr) before walking in to finance a car. This usually takes a year and a half or 2 to do. Get one of those store cards (Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc), get one or two of those 500 dollar limit Capitol One credit cards. It is important to have revolving accounts with great payment history. Do not charge more than 20 percent of the cards limit. Make sure you pay off everything in full every month. So that means personal responsibility. Do not charge more than you can afford to pay off in a month.

Do this for a good enough amount of time, then you can walk into that dealership with your head up high and get that low APR rate you so greatly desire.

Another few tips, I suggest have about 15-20% of the vehicle's value in cash with you for the down payment money. Do not let the dealer sucker you into saying oh our finance company has the best available APR. Do some shopping around before walking into that dealer with some banks. Also see if you know someone whose family member works in the Auto company that you are looking to buy from, you can get their friends and family pricing with a certain pin number they will be able to receive (new car purchases only).

Also make sure you are able to afford this vehicle even if a rainy day should occur. Like I said there is nothing wrong with financing, but you must finance within your means.

Hope that helps.

Financing is no big deal if you finance within your means. Now if you are making 1000 dollars every 2 weeks and you are paying 500 a month for a car, well you are a damn fool. SO many of my friends have fallen into that trap and they ending up %$#+%#@ their credit up for 5-7 years (time it takes for that repo to come off your credit report).

First thing is to make sure you have established credit (enough to where that you dont get uber ****ed on the apr) before walking in to finance a car. This usually takes a year and a half or 2 to do. Get one of those store cards (Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc), get one or two of those 500 dollar limit Capitol One credit cards. It is important to have revolving accounts with great payment history. Do not charge more than 20 percent of the cards limit. Make sure you pay off everything in full every month. So that means personal responsibility. Do not charge more than you can afford to pay off in a month.

Do this for a good enough amount of time, then you can walk into that dealership with your head up high and get that low APR rate you so greatly desire.

Another few tips, I suggest have about 15-20% of the vehicle's value in cash with you for the down payment money. Do not let the dealer sucker you into saying oh our finance company has the best available APR. Do some shopping around before walking into that dealer with some banks. Also see if you know someone whose family member works in the Auto company that you are looking to buy from, you can get their friends and family pricing with a certain pin number they will be able to receive (new car purchases only).

Also make sure you are able to afford this vehicle even if a rainy day should occur. Like I said there is nothing wrong with financing, but you must finance within your means.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

good advice here
^
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

laugh.gif

care to elaborate???

good advice here
^
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom