Are there any Native American NTers? Vol. How do you feel about "Indian" sport logos?

Do you think the names, logos and mascots of these teams need to be changed?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Skipping work yesterday, I got to watch the Dan Patrick Show(
smokin.gif
) and they touched on how Native Americians find the (I really dont want to say)"Native American Inspired" team logos to be racists(********, Indians ect). I never really thought about it but I guess if there was an Alabama Cottonpickers team with slave looking people on the helmet, I would feel a certain way about it.

Do you think they should change the names, mascots and logos? Would you feel better if they renamed all the teams after real tribes?
your example is a little bit different. one is basically a simple depiction of a native american. their isnt any negative/stereotypical connatations associated with the logo. The only thing that is remotely offensive about it is the usage of ******** as oppose to native americans...which is all schematics to be honest.

your example uses a dark period in time as a name along with a visual depiction of said act. it be like if a team was called yellowman and had a picture of a chinese man. that would be a better example
the alabama blackskins?

carolina field negros?

I'm part Native American, but I'm also a die hard skins fan ..... so I'm hella biased and really not offended. But then again I'm probably not offended because my family doesn't really celebrate or embrace our cherokee roots

reported for making puns? Are you serious? Puns? I didn't say anything offensive or derogatory. In fact, I even said that I thought the way the way Native Americans were depicted was offensive. Please point me to in the direction of what was was offensive, because it's not in my post.

reported for making puns? Are you serious? Puns? I didn't say anything offensive or derogatory. In fact, I even said that I thought the way the way Native Americans were depicted was offensive. Please point me to in the direction of what was was offensive, because it's not in my post.
Has anyone told you you're a really smart guy?

I'm not serious. :rofl:

Haha. Sorry dude. I thought you were serious. I wouldn't put it past some on here to be offended by nothing (see that tattoo cover up thread). My bad. It seems that some on Niketalk lately have been quick to feign offended. My bad.

Last edited:
:rofl:

Race/ethnicity threads gotta stop popping up in general :lol:

"********" is pretty offensive if you think about it though...

Last edited:
Wasn't the term "********" derogatory anyway? Something like "Chiefs" or 'Nomads" I'm fine with.

And that descriptive usage is a cop out. Let me find out a team is called "The Blacks" which a picture of me on the helmet.
They been using blacks ( people of indigenous and Moorish descent) as mascots way before the sports were even here. google "blackamoor" and see what you come up with.

View media item 311778View media item 311779

kinda understandable why the native americans would be upset....

On a related note, I read that an old european custom was to put the head of the vanquished on the coat of arms/flag

View media item 311628
:nerd:

We're all from different cultures here. Some of you are white, some of you are black.You're brown. And you're silver. But I don't care if your skin's red or tan or Chinese. You're all going to have to learn to die together.

I'm down for them to be changed, if they're hurtful or offensive to anybody then they shouldnt be a logo for a sports team. Tradition is just a word, and it shouldnt be used to defend keeping things around that have no place in society
True.  If they can change the name of the Washington Bullets (because it was offensive/described the city) to the Wizards, then they should no less change some of the mascots/logos.

The notion that some people do not recognize the portrayal of Native Americans in sports as racist, underscores how racist/ignorant/denial some can be. I always cringe when I see a mascot dressed up in feathers riding around on a horse or when I see a crowd using their arms as fake tomahawks while doing a braves chant.

I'd be horrified if there was a team named the Orientals or Yellowskins that portrayed an Asian individual.

There is no way justify keeping it beyond that is "history".

Can us Hispanics get a team? :nerd:

Tanners :nerd:

The TAN offends me :nerd:

Actually the Cleveland browns offends me, change the name!

Last edited:
As a full blooded Native American im not really offended by the chiefs, ********, Indians, etc or by the warrior imagery. I can see how some other natives might find it offensive but I think it should be up to the fan bases and the people running the teams to decide to change . However the teams that use specific tribe names should have to get permission. The fsu Seminoles have a relationship with the tribe and have permission to use the name. I feel as though the natives that are usually offended by those sort of things are the ones who are part native and really don't have their true culture to identify with. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's why it's easier for me to not get offended by a team name because they don't represent my tribe or my people.

Talbert

As a full blooded Native American im not really offended by the chiefs, ********, Indians, etc or by the warrior imagery. I can see how some other natives might find it offensive but I think it should be up to the fan bases and the people running the teams to decide to change.

Why should it be up to the offending group to decide if they should carry on being offensive?

Why not? Why doesn't their fan base step in? Or the owner? Enough people aren't offended by it. A lot of natives refer to themselves as ********.

Talbert

Wasn't the term "********" derogatory anyway? Something like "Chiefs" or 'Nomads" I'm fine with.

And that descriptive usage is a cop out. Let me find out a team is called "The Blacks" which a picture of me on the helmet.

:nerd: Umm.....

new_zealand_all_blacks.jpg

new_zealand_all_blacks_haka_against_england_in_the_1763249082.jpg

I'm more offended by people that think all of us natives are the same and have the same views. There are so many different tribes with different beliefs and languages. I think the mascots represent the fairy tale warrior imagery of natives which is naive or ignorant but not necessarily offensive. If the mascot was holding scalps or a whiskey bottle then I would find it offensive.

Talbert

just a question to my natives in here, do you get money because you belong to a tribe?

where i live we have the cahuilla morongo and aqua caliente tribes and they get checks of up to 2500 every 2 weeks, they pay for their college and help get loans.

they're pretty well off here, i have like 4 buddies that started getting checks when they turned 18 and they got even more when they graduated high school.

certain areas even have to pay taxes for their homes being built on native land, we cant even have buildings that block the view of the mountains, because of the tribe.

just a question to my natives in here, do you get money because you belong to a tribe?

where i live we have the cahuilla morongo and aqua caliente tribes and they get checks of up to 2500 every 2 weeks, they pay for their college and help get loans.

they're pretty well off here, i have like 4 buddies that started getting checks when they turned 18 and they got even more when they graduated high school.

certain areas even have to pay taxes for their homes being built on native land, we cant even have buildings that block the view of the mountains, because of the tribe.
is this a bad thing? I personally don't see anything wrong with it, don't know if you were inferring that or just pointing out the 'benefits' that specific tribe gets? (is it really a benefit though? Can't find the appropiate word to use, since it's really not a benefit when your ancestors cultivated the land).

I'm more offended by people that think all of us natives are the same and have the same views. There are so many different tribes with different beliefs and languages. I think the mascots represent the fairy tale warrior imagery of natives which is naive or ignorant but not necessarily offensive. If the mascot was holding scalps or a whiskey bottle then I would find it offensive.

Talbert
Exactly.

The NCAA took away my teams mascot and logo back in 07.

People didn't like it because they said the Illini didn't dance like our mascot did and didn't wear that type of headdress..

I actually had a hippie history teacher that HATED the Chief. Seen her try and make a kid turn his Illini shirt inside out because she found it offensive. He refused and she gave him a referral and sent him to the dean lol lol...

She also didn't shave her armpits or legs and hasn't had a tv since the early 80's. She listens to the radio...

RIP CHIEF

(PIC WONT RESIZE
mean.gif
)

42%5CChief_big_correct.gif

Last edited:
i swear every few years this pops up and goes away....

blackhawks, braves, indians, chiefs, ********.......

no one wants to change them because they're not being used as racist weapons against those people.

its kinda like using da N word in rap, they all know where it comes from, but da feeling got changed on it so long

ago they dont wanna stop using it.

Back
Top Bottom