Are We Really Smarter Than Animals?

Originally Posted by Breakyaneck3000

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I got Surround Sound and HD... Bears dont.

so being entertained starring into a rectangle as your life passes by is considered intelligence? 

watching men throwing a ball around?  is that intelligent? 

many humans live sedated lives in front of an HDTV, bears live in HD. 
calm down dude... i think he was just sayin we got technology...

Actually I didn't assume that jellyfish can communicate. I don't know if they can or not. Even though I think it is foolish to think any living specie doesn't have the ability to communicate within their own race, but that isn't the point. I was merely responding to the point that we are smarter because they aren't sitting around talking about us.

How do we know that is the question.

I think the main thing that separates man and beast is man's ability to use his hands which allows his to put his thoughts to use. Animals don't have hands and don't have the luxury to use their imagination to it's fullest capacity because of that. Think about it.

That is not saying that if they had hands they would be more/less advanced than where we currently are in 2010 but it isn't a level playing field because of body structure/function. I just think we are physically more able to operate in this world than they are.

I don't think that should equate to us being smarter or more intelligent.

Anyone who answers yes probably doesnt understand the dilemma this open ended question alludes to. Its paradoxical you dimwits...think about it

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

so being entertained starring into a rectangle as your life passes by is considered intelligence? 

i know this is what he meant.  but technology necessarily doesn't mean intelligence. 

nuclear warfare = not very intelligent, warfare in general is more stupid than babies throwing poop at each other.

nuclear energy = intelligence is rising.

And I say the only reason we have technology is because we have hands to physically create/manipulate that technology

But you might say, "DC Monkeys have hands as well why haven't they created computers"

1. They aren't in social environments/networks that really have the need for this technology. They aren't residing in urban areas nor are they being asked/pressured into creating those technologies.
2. Many of them are locked up and are disrespected by being used as entertainment for us.

So that is why they haven't created computers. But who are we to value the "inventions" they have created that benefit their own kind? We don't know what goes on in their world. We don't know who was the first monkey to use tree bark to open up a coconut. That might be their version of the "internet."

We all are different. We all have different needs. We all want different things from this world. Because we can create bombs, cures for diseases, and generate music by using wind instruments doesn't mean those skills are any more INTELLIGENT than the things they do on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Actually I didn't assume that jellyfish can communicate. I don't know if they can or not. Even though I think it is foolish to think any living specie doesn't have the ability to communicate within their own race, but that isn't the point. I was merely responding to the point that we are smarter because they aren't sitting around talking about us.

I think the main thing that separates man and beast is man's ability to use his hands which allows his to put his thoughts to use. Animals don't have hands and don't have the luxury to use their imagination to it's fullest capacity because of that. Think about it.

That is not saying that if they had hands they would be more/less advanced than where we currently are in 2010 but it isn't a level playing field because of body structure/function. I just think we are physically more able to operate in this world than they are.

Believe what you want, but I know our brains make us smarter/more intelligent. That was our given advantage through evolution.

We know for a FACT that adolescent bears and apes would outclass even the strongest humans, felines and canines are faster than us, birds fly, etc. but you're questioning how superior we are mentally.

The homosaipen has the highest frontal lobe to neocortex ratio
than any other known species inhabited on Earth.

/thread.

Human beings are the only animals capable of rational thought. The concept of being smart and the varying degrees of smartness does not apply to other animals, they are incapable of it.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

part of that being more physically able has to do with us having bigger and more functional brains... so yes it does mean we are more intelligent...

animals rely on instinct... they dont really KNOW anything...

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

They dont even have brains all they can do is react to stimuli.

I looked at your first response about humans not being animals and assumed you were being sarcastic....then I saw this post and now I wonder if you truly believe what you're saying.
nerd.gif
an·i·malhttp://fpdownload.macrome...lash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=21 width=13 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>/img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0309400.mp3">http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0309400.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> (
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
l)
n.
1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.

2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

How about this, we can EASILY make ANY species near extinct if we wanted to, could any other animal say the same?

Could bears all around the world call each other and ask for help, and defend themselves?

Game over...

i know this is what he meant.  but technology necessarily doesn't mean intelligence. 

nuclear warfare = not very intelligent, warfare in general is more stupid than babies throwing poop at each other.

nuclear energy = intelligence is rising.

just because they use it for dumb $%!@ doesnt mean they weren't intelligent in creating it...thats what im talkin about.. the creation of technology... not how its used...

MusicalExcellence wrote:

Breakyaneck3000 wrote:

fraij da 5 11 wrote:I got Surround Sound and HD... Bears dont.

watching men throwing a ball around? is that intelligent?

And I say the only reason we have technology is because we have hands to physically create/manipulate that technology

But you might say, "DC Monkeys have hands as well why haven't they created computers"

1. They aren't in social environments/networks that really have the need for this technology. They aren't residing in urban areas nor are they being asked/pressured into creating those technologies.
2. Many of them are locked up and are disrespected by being used as entertainment for us.

So that is why they haven't created computers. But who are we to value the "inventions" they have created that benefit their own kind? We don't know what goes on in their world. We don't know who was the first monkey to use tree bark to open up a coconut. That might be their version of the "internet."

We all are different. We all have different needs. We all want different things from this world. Because we can create bombs, cures for diseases, and generate music by using wind instruments doesn't mean those skills are any more INTELLIGENT than the things they do on a daily basis.

ok no more discussions with people who believe animals are more intelligent than them...

ill just speak for myself and say im more intelligent... *%#! im more intelligent than most humans... see this post for proof...

Yo DC are you for real with these posts? Only hands(I'm guessing you mean oppsoable thumbs) make us "smarter"/better than the other animals?

Bring me some dogs or any animal of your choice that can perform modus tollens. As far as the whole communication thing it doesn't make any sense. If other animals had actual conversational communication with each other there'd be a way of figuring out how to learn it through detecting the repetition of (definite and indefinite) articles, phonology, morphology, and all of the other things we use to learn new/different languages.

Your only other option to speculate is that other animals communicate with their minds like a work of fiction; ppl with esp/psychics.

I found a stray cat outside and let him type this response.

He said "animals stay winning and been had Bathing Apes."

humans are much like cancer. we continue to proliferate rapidly and uncontrollably in the world, causing a disruption to the ecosystem.

the world as we know it is as grim as a patient with advanced cancer.

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity23

humans are much like cancer. we continue to proliferate rapidly and uncontrollably in the world, causing a disruption to the ecosystem.

If you think you're cancer and the planet would be better off without you, what are you going to do about it?

No one is stopping you but you...

Again I never said animals were smarter. I am just wondering why it is such a no brainer (No "Not A Player I Just Crush Alot" Intended) that humans are smarter.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

I looked at your first response about humans not being animals and assumed you were being sarcastic....then I saw this post and now I wonder if you truly believe what you're saying.
nerd.gif
an·i·malhttp://fpdownload.macrome...lash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=21 width=13 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>/img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0309400.mp3">http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0309400.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> (
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
l)
n.
1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.

2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

lol I dont know what all that flash nonsense u posted is...but.

The word "animal" comes from the Latin word animal (meaning with soul, from anima, soul). In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals.[sup][1][/sup] Frequently only closer relatives of humans such as vertebrates or mammals are meant in colloquial use.[sup][citation needed][/sup] The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the Kingdom Animalia, encompassing creatures ranging from insects to humans.[sup][2][/sup]

I fully understand  this, but from a scientific classification perspective, Humans are an animal.

Animals have several characteristics that set them apart from other living things. Animals are eukaryotic and are multicellular[sup][3][/sup] (although see Myxozoa), which separates them from bacteria and most protists. They are heterotrophic,[sup][4][/sup] generally digesting food in an internal chamber, which separates them from plants and algae.[sup][5][/sup] They are also distinguished from plants, algae, and fungi by lacking rigid cell walls.[sup][6][/sup] All animals are motile,[sup][7][/sup] if only at certain life stages. In most animals, embryos pass through a blastula stage, which is a characteristic exclusive to animals.

HUMAN BEINGS ARE PART OF THE KINGDOM "ANIMALIA"

nerd.gif
SEMANTICS
SHMENANTICS

Humans ARE animals... damn..

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity23

If you think you're cancer and the planet would be better off without you, what are you going to do about it?

No one is stopping you but you...
yeah the planet would probably be better without any of us, but we're here for a reason.... and that's to %!#$ $%#+ up.
egnvib.gif

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

nerd.gif
SEMANTICS
SHMENANTICS

Humans ARE animals... damn..
I know right...why is that such a bad thing
laugh.gif

well we are animals too
but yes to the thought behind your question
with great knowledge comes the possibility of abuse
this becomes more evident the more knowledge we obtain
i am generally a pesimistic person but...
have you ever been in a museum where there is a lineup of skulls
in order of development...I believe more skulls will goon the end
of that chain, human skulls yet to evolve

Back
Top Bottom