Are you a fan of the "nicknames?"

Nicknames are nice, it simplifies everything "ESPECIALLY" if you have a large collection... whether it's shoes. clothes. cars, and girls
laugh.gif
happy.gif
 (that's my Sunday and that is Tuesday)
Some of these nicks originated from collectors themselves for "PERSONAL" use not for everybody's pleasure...

Good example: Cherry 12's, Most of the JordanHeads gets annoyed with this nickname, but.. What about Grape 5's? Ahh, Grape 5's to me same thing as Cherry 12's (named after shades of Cool Aid drinks) and yet JordanHeads seemed to be "Ok" with Grape 5's..

Nicks are nice whether derived from its color or something else this trend will never stop just make sure it's appropriate for the shoes and its origin..                   

as stated, names like cool grey, true blue, bordeaux etc are spot on.

there are names that're just so terrible they're laughable i.e "cherries"

a good amount of others are forgettable....

but whoever in their right mind came up with BREDS & RAPTORS
needs to be shot
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by DaBoyBk

Most of the nicknames are cool like Spizike, spacejam and etc. But some are corny so its an up and down road. But makes it easier to identify and describe the sneakers for sure.

spizike aint a nickname. thts the name of the %*%!*%! shoe !
indifferent.gif

its all good with me. i dont say bred tho.
if there's no nickname, i just refer as the main color of the shoe

i prefer the nicknames cuz a while back some dude asked if i was gettin "the new 8s, u know tha black ones" i asked him "Playoffs of Aquas?" he said, "idk they're all black. with purple on em"
had to school him about colorways and nicknames, he still has trouble rememberin em all but he can describe em easier now

Originally Posted by alexanderfasto

Good example: Cherry 12's, Most of the JordanHeads gets annoyed with this nickname, but.. What about Grape 5's? Ahh, Grape 5's to me same thing as Cherry 12's (named after shades of Cool Aid drinks) and yet JordanHeads seemed to be "Ok" with Grape 5's..         
Not the same...."grape" comes from the actual color name used on the shoes. "Cherry" is not.

its a lot easier and sounds better, i wish jordan did it like nike sbs every shoe has a nickname to match

I don't mind the nicknames because it's not the nicknames I'm wearing, it's the shoes I'm wearing
wink.gif
Although, most of the names come from the colors labeled/used for the shoes. The names just make it easier for people to know exactly what shoe they are talking about.

Nicknames make it easier than saying the entire colorway.. I just cant stand when someone calls every XI the spacejams.. I dont kno how many times ive heard "cool grey spacejams"

I like them. I remember calling the xi's "the shoes MJ wore in space jam". So that eventually turned into Space Jam's. it's cool

Some of the shoes are nicknamed because it's literally on the box. Bordeaux, concord, Altitudes, etc. It's just easier to identify a shoe this way too imo. I'd rather call it by it's nickname then to identify it by all of its colors and such.

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

Some of the shoes are nicknamed because it's literally on the box. Bordeaux, concord, Altitudes, etc. It's just easier to identify a shoe this way too imo. I'd rather call it by it's nickname then to identify it by all of its colors and such.

This is pretty much the only way I'll ever refer to a shoe by its nickname. That or if the designer comes out and explains the choices that went into a particular colorway (but JB is pretty secretive about that).

I hate "most" of the Nicknames...and, it's funny because some of the ones I hate most...people here have listed as "acceptable"...

Question...why are the White/Black XI's the "Concords"?  The shoe is 99% White and Black on any part of the shoe that is visible when you wear it...the Jumpman on the tag label and the traction pattern on the outsole is "Concord" and that gives the shoe the nickname...someone explain that to me?  Never understood it...in fact, I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that call the White/Black XI "Concords" have NO IDEA why...

Same question on the White/Black XII's...Taxi's?  Really?  What does that Nickname have ANYTHING to do with a predominately White/Black shoe

JM 

Like what most people said on here (especially guys who've been dealing with Jordans pre-03, like me) BREDS, RAPTORS, and CHERRIES are nicknames I DESPISE!! Those terms started around 04-05 and then the rest of the new kids started using it like it was nothing.

I've been selling off my entire collection the past couple of weeks, and I had dudes like "Yo how much for the Breds?! You got the Oreos IV? (huh) I've got the Raptors for trade"!!! It IRKS ME! LOL!

But it's the change in times, so I can't trip off of it too much I guess.

haha this is a cool thread. I really don't like Oreos, Bred, Cookies and creme.... They do help out tho.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Originally Posted by alexanderfasto

Not the same...."grape" comes from the actual color name used on the shoes. "Cherry" is not.
thanks for informing us ijapino. Grape>>>>>>>>>Cherry

can anyone tell me why the "Concord XI's" are called the concords ?

And why the XII Taxi's" are called the Taxi's ?

cheers
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom