Asian Culture Discussion Thread

You don't see places like Dubai or the middle east let people like Logan Paul roam around causing problems. It's usually places in Asia with people that look up to white people and let them do whatever they want. The police there won't use brute force on them either despite being disrespected, which is unlike the police in America

people in asia look up to white people?

people in asia look up to white people?

Most South East Asians countries (including Japan and South Korea), they tailor their makeup products towards "making their skin whiter." Part of the reason behind this is mostly the philosophical perception passed down from older Asian generations to the current ones that "the more white your skin, the more you are considered beautiful/handsome."

It is an old Asian generation thing that still hasn't changed much with the current generation of Asians living over there.

Even being a Filipino-American, I know that my Filipino cousins back over there in the Phil. still mock their fellow Filipinos that are "darker tanned skin."

On the flipside, Filipino-Americans over here in the USA appreciate their skin getting tanned (to an extent).

Most South East Asians countries (including Japan and South Korea), they tailor their makeup products towards "making their skin whiter." Part of the reason behind this is mostly the philosophical perception passed down from older Asian generations to the current ones that "the more white your skin, the more you are considered beautiful/handsome."

It is an old Asian generation thing that still hasn't changed much with the current generation of Asians living over there.
This is true but the reason is not due to trying to look like white people.

One of the old cultural reasons for this trend is that farmers and manual laborers who worked outside in the sun all day would have darker skin so the lighter skin was seen as a symbol of status. Kind of like how in the middle ages being overweight was seen as a good thing since most people struggled to put food on the table.

It's a thing for many Asian women to want an eurasian child. I've seen some even complain that their kid looks too Asian and not white enough

The world looks to the USA when it comes to many cultural trends.

so america is just white people?

Even being a Filipino-American, I know that my Filipino cousins back over there in the Phil. still mock their fellow Filipinos that are "darker tanned skin."

On the flipside, Filipino-Americans over here in the USA appreciate their skin getting tanned (to an extent).

no. it has nothing to do with being a white.

This is true but the reason is not due to trying to look like white people.

One of the old cultural reasons for this trend is that farmers and manual laborers who worked outside in the sun all day would have darker skin so the lighter skin was seen as a symbol of status. Kind of like how in the middle ages being overweight was seen as a good thing since most people struggled to put food on the table.

I can get that...........BUT at the same time, seeing all these Asian females always going after these White males all the time for interracial dating/marriages (and on the flipside, Asian males are guilty with this by the trend of going after White females)........it doesn't help change that cultural trend either.

It is like that "old cultural reason" sort of evolved when interracial dating started to become a thing with Asians, and instinctively Asians that dated OUTSIDE of Asian origin gradually gravitated towards Whites.

No. My point was that Asians (from Asia) don't look up to white people, they look up to Americans. (of course this is a generalization as not all Asians do this)

dont know about this. i can say the philippines gets a lot of influence from the us, with basketball hollywood etc. i know thailand is more british with football, and jpop and kpop when it comes to fashion. singapore, indonesia, are more into brit culture too.

I can get that...........BUT at the same time, seeing all these Asian females always going after these White males all the time for interracial dating/marriages (and on the flipside, Asian males are guilty with this by the trend of going after White females)........it doesn't help change that cultural trend either.

It is like that "old cultural reason" sort of evolved when interracial dating started to become a thing with Asians, and instinctively Asians that dated OUTSIDE of Asian origin gradually gravitated towards Whites.
Yeah I get what you are saying. It started as a cultural trend within Asian culture but now in this interracial era these cultural trends result in white people being more desirable than people with darker skin.

1. Japan and S Korea are E. Asians country., not southeast. I cant talk for SE. Asians/
2. E. Asians are naturally pale and white as snow. I dont know where this whole "E. Asians want to have white skin" lie comes from when they just want to maintain their natural skin color, hence why many Koreans wear sun screen and take care of their skin

3f8f4638-9965-47b3-8b9e-9f8ad1d71f66-fotolia_187339685_subscription_monthly_m.jpg

you look at this korean baby and try telling me he's not naturally pale.

It's a thing for many Asian women to want an eurasian child. I've seen some even complain that their kid looks too Asian and not white enough

asian-americans/bananas, yes. but i have never heard an native Asian say anything like this. Maybe hon kong, since that place is pretty a mix of white and asian people

2. E. Asians are naturally pale and white as snow. I dont know where this whole "E. Asians want to have white skin" lie comes from when they just want to maintain their natural skin color, hence why many Koreans wear sun screen and take care of their skin

I think it is probably my Filipino upbringing, unfortunately.

It is good to hear from another Asian race say that it isn't true about "East Asians want to have white skin" because growing up.......that is the perspective that "older generation Filipinos" use to state as their reasoning for all these damn skin whiteners they have over there.

Filipinos, unlike most Eastern Asian countries, are more naturally tan........BUT the old generation has always hated that aspect of themselves when compared to other Asian nationalities and white folk, whom they have no "ill-will towards" in comparisons to Blacks, Hispanics, and the Middle-Eastern Asians.

That is from how I was raised as a 1st. generation Filipino-American from my 1st. generation Filipino immigrant parents, whom their family members have also shared that same mindset.

When I relate to my other Filipino-American friends, we all seem to have been brought up by this same upbringing..........although, our mindset as Filipino-Americans differ from those of the OGs in terms of "wanting whiter skin" and ****. However, most Filipino-American females I know have mostly date white men............so eh

Being naturally tan >>>

Are whitening products even a thing anymore in the motherland? Seems like more people are embracing tanner skin nowadays.

I would like to hope that the rise of some Filipino-Americans on social media AND some mainstream media shows would be influencing more of the younger folk in the motherland to embrace that mindset.

Unfortunately like frink85 frink85 said, nah.......whitening products are still poppin' over there :smh:

I think it is probably my Filipino upbringing, unfortunately.

It is good to hear from another Asian race say that it isn't true about "East Asians want to have white skin" because growing up.......that is the perspective that "older generation Filipinos" use to state as their reasoning for all these damn skin whiteners they have over there.

Filipinos, unlike most Eastern Asian countries, are more naturally tan........BUT the old generation has always hated that aspect of themselves when compared to other Asian nationalities and white folk, whom they have no "ill-will towards" in comparisons to Blacks, Hispanics, and the Middle-Eastern Asians.

That is from how I was raised as a 1st. generation Filipino-American from my 1st. generation Filipino immigrant parents, whom their family members have also shared that same mindset.

When I relate to my other Filipino-American friends, we all seem to have been brought up by this same upbringing..........although, our mindset as Filipino-Americans differ from those of the OGs in terms of "wanting whiter skin" and ****. However, most Filipino-American females I know have mostly date white men............so eh

I would like to hope that the rise of some Filipino-Americans on social media AND some mainstream media shows would be influencing more of the younger folk in the motherland to embrace that mindset.

Unfortunately like frink85 frink85 said, nah.......whitening products are still poppin' over there :smh:

what so bad about wanting to have fairer skin? whats so :smh: about it.

what so bad about wanting to have fairer skin? whats so :smh: about it.

Self-hate towards your own naturally born tanned skin?

Not to mention whenever my skin got tanner as a kid (as a result of playing ball during the summer time), it was often used as "slightly racial insult" from some of my aunts from overseas with that.........."oh, your skin is getting dark now. you'll be ending up like "THOSE BLACK PPL" and doing bad things and......"

So I mean, fine whatever if you like skin whiting products..........but I hate it when it is used like it is "suppose to be the cultural norm" for your damn ethnicity.

is it really hate though? what about just preference? what about doing what you want to do with your own body?

Not to mention whenever my skin got tanner as a kid (as a result of playing ball during the summer time), it was often used as "slightly racial insult" from some of my aunts from overseas with that.........."oh, your skin is getting dark now. you'll be ending up like "THOSE BLACK PPL" and doing bad things and......"

So I mean, fine whatever if you like skin whiting products..........but I hate it when it is used like it is "suppose to be the cultural norm" for your damn ethnicity.
So would you consider people sitting in the sun trying to get a tan self hate towards their natural skin?

99% of any girl who uses any type of makeup is changing the tone of her skin in a way that she finds more attractive.

God... Flashbacks from my childhood :rofl::lol::sick:
Funny, everytime I go back home to the Philippines, my aunts always commented on my complexion (which is kinda like Gabbi Garcia's skintone), and suggested I try papaya soap/glutathione. Doesn't help that my mom's entire side is full of light-skinned mestizos/mestizas, and I'm the token morena kid.
**** that, I'm embracing my natural tan-ness :smokin

So would you consider people sitting in the sun trying to get a tan self hate towards their natural skin?

99% of any girl who uses any type of makeup is changing the tone of her skin in a way that she finds more attractive.

is it really hate though? what about just preference? what about doing what you want to do with your own body?

there's backstory in this case though, the colonial mentality and discrimination against dark skin folks (aka field workers/poor)

people want to be mestiza like the people who stole your land smh

there's backstory in this case though, the colonial mentality and discrimination against dark skin folks (aka field workers/poor)

people want to be mestiza like the people who stole your land smh
It seems a bit ridiculous to say that anyone who wants darker skin is just going on personal preference but if you want lighter skin its because of "the colonial mentality and discrimination against dark skin folks".

There were lighter skinned Asians and darker skinned Asians long before the colonization era

Back
Top Bottom