Asian Culture Discussion Thread

It seems a bit ridiculous to say that anyone who wants darker skin is just going on personal preference but if you want lighter skin its because of "the colonial mentality and discrimination against dark skin folks".

There were lighter skinned Asians and darker skinned Asians long before the colonization era

I know it sounds ridiculous but the whitening culture and getting all this work on your face done is all over the place, and its an obsession. IMO its not the same as tanning because aint no one there voluntarily getting ultra dark skin lol but becoming pale is a big deal.

Basically, white = beautiful/rich and tan/dark = ugly/poor and thats a damn shame imo

I know it sounds ridiculous but the whitening culture and getting all this work on your face done is all over the place, and its an obsession. IMO its not the same as tanning because aint no one there voluntarily getting ultra dark skin lol but becoming pale is a big deal.

Basically, white = beautiful/rich and tan/dark = ugly/poor and thats a damn shame imo

kabayan, there is no whitening culture. and youre white =, black =, thing is too much. no one cares about that.

But that's just the culture over there. On the flip side, in America it is more attractive to have tanner skin so you will see white people and Asians out getting tans and making their skin the "perfect" brown.

This is what generally what beauty standards Asian girls in Asia go for:
14013480_f520.jpg

And this is generally what American Asians try to achieve:

BrendaSong.jpg

It's just different cultures with different beauty standards.

But that's just the culture over there. On the flip side, in America it is more attractive to have tanner skin so you will see white people and Asians out getting tans and making their skin the "perfect" brown.

This is what generally what beauty standards Asian girls in Asia go for:
14013480_f520.jpg

And this is generally what American Asians try to achieve:

BrendaSong.jpg

It's just different cultures with different beauty standards.

Living over there, I couldn't dismiss it as beauty standards or just the culture. When you're talking about getting your pits and your booty hole whitened (yes seriously) its past culture and into obsession/wildin out status

sidenote: i love me some brenda song :blush:

Thought only pronstars get their buttholes bleached. If a civilian gets it done, she a freak.

Living over there, I couldn't dismiss it as beauty standards or just the culture. When you're talking about getting your pits and your booty hole whitened (yes seriously) its past culture and into obsession/wildin out status

sidenote: i love me some brenda song :blush:
I agree with you that a lot of the stuff is OD like bleaching and wearing full face masks at the beach to avoid their face getting a tan. I just don't think it has much to do with colonization and the white skin beauty standard isn't due to western influence.

Brenda Song is :pimp:

This is true but the reason is not due to trying to look like white people.

One of the old cultural reasons for this trend is that farmers and manual laborers who worked outside in the sun all day would have darker skin so the lighter skin was seen as a symbol of status. Kind of like how in the middle ages being overweight was seen as a good thing since most people struggled to put food on the table.

I think beauty standards seem to change somewhat rapidly. So, I think the most relevant thing to look at is what conditions exist today. Being fat, for example, like you said is no longer a thing since it makes no sense today as a form of status. I don't think agriculture/working class dynamics are the reason for anything existing now tbh.

Beauty standards seem to adjust to whatever represents status currently. As long as there's a wealth and representation disparity favoring lighter skinned people, beauty standards will trend that way I think. Same as in America favoring tan skin. As long as Hollywood and actors represent tan people as the symbol of status, then tan will be the ideal standard. I think ideas of beauty change fast af.

Last edited:
From what I've observed, the White thing has more to do with the older crowd. For example, in Flushing, I've noticed that it's usually the middle aged or older Asian women who will use umbrellas on a sunny day. Flushing also has a lot of skin care stores. One of my favorite pizzerias closed down and was replaced with a skin care store :angry:

I mean there's taking care of your skin and then there's obsessing over it. Umbrellas on a nice, sunny day is ridiculous B

I think culturally fair skin is desired, but that's not the same thing as wanting to be "White (Caucasian)".

would a KPOP thread flourish on NT?

just curious cuz im starting to see a lot of street/urban looking dudes on youtube bumpin/reacting to kpop

would a KPOP thread flourish on NT?

just curious cuz im starting to see a lot of street/urban looking dudes on youtube bumpin/reacting to kpop

Personally observation, I doubt it.

Even though kpop is starting to get popular in the "urban community" per say, it is mostly the "new school of kids" that are proudly bumping it in the streets.

The general section of NT is mostly OG dudes who are still stuck in that OG mindset of the early-to-mid 2000s, and a kpop thread won't last a second in the general section

BTS was on Fallon a couple days ago so KPop is definitely flourishing in the real world but I doubt it gets any real traction here.

apparently her deadbeat dad is trying to take squeeze out whatever money he can from her 15 mins of fame. feel bad for the kid, hope she doesn't get abused by him

PBS has an episode of their show POV about the sex slaves the Japanese army took in WWII. They took around 200,000 women (including underage girls) across Asia and made them “comfort women”. Sad stuff to watch. The show talked to three of these women. One from Korea, one from China, and one from the Philippines. People from Korea go to Tokyo all the time to protest and demand an apology from the Japanese government. Doesn’t seem like an apology will happen while some officials say the sex slaves were necessary at the time. There were some anti-protesters who were yelling disgusting things at the victims as if they chose what happened to them. While it seems like the Korean women get support from their people, Chinese villagers don’t want to talk about it. They say it’s too uncomfortable. A Filipina grandma says she hasn’t told her family because they might be ashamed of her. Messed up that people still think negatively of victims.

There's some crazy japanophile white guy on youtube- don't remember the name, didn't watch the whole vid, but was saying trash about the Korean comfort women, how they wanted to do the work, paid etc.

Recently the Comfort Women statue in sf was vandalized SMH

http://www.weareresonate.com/2018/0...morial-vandalised-ahead-of-first-anniversary/

As someone that grew up hearing stories from my grandparents about the time, to learning about it in school, and then realizing how unaware Korean-Americans were about the history, is sad.

I have younger cousins that can speak Japanese, love everything about the culture, but can't read or write Hangeul, can't speak it, and think anything k-pop is embarrassing. On the other hand, I have older uncles that can spend hours railing on about how much better this and that, how bad Japan is for this and that, yet rave about their Honmas and drive off in their Lexus.

I think the problem is that, soon the actual generation will pass away, with no real reparations or closure. Probably the current generation will have almost no sense or empathy for what it was like for the older generations.

At the same time, healing and progressing forward has obvious merits. But I don't know how that can truly happen without a genuine apology and reparation.

It's very disappointing that they still haven't apologized whereas countries like Germany acknowledge the Holocaust and teach it in school

It's not acknowledged in the Japanese Educational System. Their history thought at school does not show the atrocities that they did. Ask any of your colleagues who did K-12 in Japan, they dont know any of such history during WW2.

Back
Top Bottom