Asian Culture Discussion Thread

But what has really riled critics is that Kardashian appears to have trademarked the word "kimono." According to Business Insider, a search of the online database for the United States Patent and Trademark Office revealed that Kimono Intimates Inc. applied to trademark a specific font version of the word.
Originating in the Hakuhō (Early Nara) period (645-710), the kimono is an ankle-length gown with long, wide sleeves and a V- neck. With neither ties nor buttons, it is tied left over right across the chest and secured at the waist with a broad sash called an an obi.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/yuichi-hirose-edo-komon/index.html
The reaction has been far from positive, with many expressing their disapproval using the hashtag #KimOhNo.
San Francisco-based Yuka Ohishi, who tweeted about the controversy, told CNN: "I was not very pleased by companies using the word kimono to market beach cover-ups and robes. And then Kim Kardashian went to a whole new level by simply using the word as a pun. Her line is not at all inspired by the Japanese kimono, pays no respect.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/kim-kardashian-kimono-intl-scli/index.html

Do you guys have any pointers on how to have a less Asian sounding tone when speaking English? I wanna sound Asian only when I am speaking my native language. I would prefer a deeper voice when speaking English

I pronounce words the right way but the way it comes out you can tell I'm Asian. I just have that higher pitched voice that carries over from my native language. I see a lot of Asian women that can sound completely white when speaking English and I feel it would help me. People don't take me seriously on the phone for interviews when I sound like a kid

Do you guys have any pointers on how to have a less Asian sounding tone when speaking English? I wanna sound Asian only when I am speaking my native language. I would prefer a deeper voice when speaking English

I pronounce words the right way but the way it comes out you can tell I'm Asian. I just have that higher pitched voice that carries over from my native language. I see a lot of Asian women that can sound completely white when speaking English and I feel it would help me. People don't take me seriously on the phone for interviews when I sound like a kid

IMO only thing you can do is practice. Listen to yourself through headphones and adjust your accent/tone/voice to how you want it to be.

I always thought my Tagalog accent was good to pass as a local, but everyone I spoke to who didn’t speak English either a. didn’t understand me totally or b. called me out immediately on being a foreigner lol.

The voice you hear in your head is different from what comes out and other people hear.

I dont neccesarily work in a professional setting at work but I deal with all sorts of people in my line of work from regular workers, to supervisors, managers, engineers and directors.

I feel that in all my conversations or interactions with people I feel like enunciation and emphasis outweigh peoples accents. If you can sound and emphasize your main point you'll be golden. Sometimes slowing down your speech will be better because even if your tone or pitch is low people who speak fast can be overwhelming too.

I wouldnt force changing your tone tbh, I would just practice, practice and practice. Dont be too critical on yourself, if you dont live in Nebraska most professional settings have people from all corners of the world with various accents.

I didn't even know Dumb had a podcast and on top of that Rekstizzy from Queens is the cohost. I remember seeing Rek acting a fool at a Awkwafina performance a few years ago in Flushing.

I'm listening to the Flowsik episode now. He's from Flushing but I never got into his music. Asian rappers I used to listen to were Jin, Snacky Chan (before he went K-Pop), Mountain Brothers. I remember there was another cat named Sinima or something like that. The dude I used to cop mixtapes from in Flushing was handing out his album for free. My Korean friend from High School put me onto Dumbfoundead when he was an active battle rapper. Watching all of these dudes who really busted their *** trying to make it as rappers and even changing their styles because of their lack of success in America and then seeing Awkwafina drop novelty Rap records, books and transitioning that into a successful Hollywood career brings me back to what Dumb said in the Bad Rap film. He talked about how it's actually easier for Asian females to make it the US entertainment industry than males. Even back then, Awkwafina was already getting serious entertainment representation.

I remember when that **** happened and it was LS who got shot. It got some mention in the papers because Jin was a major label artist at the time but China Mac was a nobody at that time in terms of entertainment. His whole career was jumpstarted from that event and his jailbid. I understand the hype/views perspective for this video but to me, for this to be legit, LS has to be there. Jin still had a career, moved to Hong Kong and made more money than he did in the US. LS was shot and his Rap career never really went anywhere (although I heard he was rich outside of Rap). In 2005, Jin did a free show on his birthday at the old Knitting Factory in Manhattan. He brought out Yung Mac, Snacky Chan and LS came through using a cane. He looked kind of weak onstage. So that was a real thing for LS. Jin and China squashing things is one thing but LS needed to be at this meeting because he actually suffered physically. My guess is that he declined.

Last edited:
I didn't even know Dumb had a podcast and on top of that Rekstizzy from Queens is the cohost. I remember seeing Rek acting a fool at a Awkwafina performance a few years ago in Flushing.

I'm listening to the Flowsik episode now. He's from Flushing but I never got into his music. Asian rappers I used to listen to were Jin, Snacky Chan (before he went K-Pop), Mountain Brothers. I remember there was another cat named Sinima or something like that. The dude I used to cop mixtapes from in Flushing was handing out his album for free. My Korean friend from High School put me onto Dumbfoundead when he was an active battle rapper. Watching all of these dudes who really busted their *** trying to make it as rappers and even changing their styles because of their lack of success in America and then seeing Awkwafina drop novelty Rap records, books and transitioning that into a successful Hollywood career brings me back to what Dumb said in the Bad Rap film. He talked about how it's actually easier for Asian females to make it the US entertainment industry than males. Even back then, Awkwafina was already getting serious entertainment representation.
I think the other Korean rapper from Flushing during Snacky Chans time was Shogunna. He was making some waves. I do agree on her easy marketability because shes a female, I haven't listened to her at all or honestly current Asian rappers and a lot of rap music in general but I can see what Dumbfounded means.

Yang had 2:56 of speaking time, the lowest of all candidates with the second lowest time being 4:47. I was saying he was being too passive just standing there but rumor is his mic was muted. They asked him only two questions and one about China. He seemed to shift the blame on Russia instead of attacking China and that won't look good to white voters

This is really unfair, I don't expect him to win but I want him to have a fair fight

Last edited:

Yang had 2:56 of speaking time, the lowest of all candidates with the second lowest time being 4:47. I was saying he was being too passive just standing there but rumor is his mic was muted. They asked him only two questions and one about China. He seemed to shift the blame on Russia instead of attacking China and that won't look good to white voters

This is really unfair, I don't expect him to win but I want him to have a fair fight

:angry::angry:

That's probably why he was lookin frustrated during the middle of the debate when he finally spoke again. His mic volume seemed lower than the others as well

Last edited:
I think the other Korean rapper from Flushing during Snacky Chans time was Shogunna. He was making some waves. I do agree on her easy marketability because shes a female, I haven't listened to her at all or honestly current Asian rappers and a lot of rap music in general but I can see what Dumbfounded means.

Yeah I remember Shogunna. He also did a bid and rapped about that years before China Mac.

Jin and China Mac squashing their beef is a great moment for Asian Americans. On another note, I met Jin a few years back
2113256124.png

VERY DOPE moment. Never thought that would happen. Big ups to both of them for that. On another note, i actually met Jin when he first started. Copped the first "Mixtape" he ever sold which was just a CD of all his old battles and when I brought it to him for a signing, he was HELLA humbled and gave me and my boy mad love. Wrote "true fans since day one." Anyway, been supporting him throughout his ventures. Just proud of what he represented. Funny thing is when we was on our way out and he was heading out, he hit us with that one line he used on his last battle from 106 in chinese, telling us to "go home" LOL. REALLY loving the China Mac movment though. Been following him since I saw that Vlad interview. You can tell he's changed and grown and reps Asians the right way by standing up towards ANY disrespect.

Can you name some examples. I know that Lil' Pump dude said something in a song recently, but he's a clown anyway.

But using that word in any context ain't cool and I'm throwing hands if anybody says it to me in person unless they're strapped

Love HipHop but the track that always sticks in my mind is one of my fav Jay tracks "Somehow, someway" where Beanie goes, "And all the C**** gotta feed em....for the rest of they life/F a fried wings and vegetable rice" That line always makes me cringe

That’s wild, been following the story since it happened, listened to Jin - Cold Outside and started hearing more from Mac’s interviews recently. I met Jin at a charity event in SF, he hosted a comedy event for Asian American Donor Program which I volunteer for. He’s as short or shorter than I am haha, bruh you a giant next to him.

I met China Mac when he came to the bay to shoot a music video with my cousin (Mo Money Mo Problems, check that out). He performed at Studio 8 with a bunch of other Asian artists then we all went out to chill at a bar after. Told him keep doing his thing and all was pretty faded lol

YO!!! That's ILL!! Dub P your cousin? I peeped a few of his tracks. He's pretty good. Tell him he doing his thing too! And yeah, I got that Mo Money, Mo Problems track too. It's a nice track.

THIS was my JOINT back in the day!!! All 3 went in!!

YO!!! That's ILL!! Dub P your cousin? I peeped a few of his tracks. He's pretty good. Tell him he doing his thing too! And yeah, I got that Mo Money, Mo Problems track too. It's a nice track.

THIS was my JOINT back in the day!!! All 3 went in!!

Yup, same last name and all. I love when I hear about others listening to his music, I tell him all the time "yo my co-worker was slappin your stuff" or "I seen them play your song at the vbar". I'll let him know a homie from this shoe site I go on is talking bout you :lol:.

Just gonna throw this out there:pimp:

Btw I wonder what the Asian rappers from the AznRaps days are up to these days. We need to see a reunion of some kind with the explosion of the scene right now

Last edited:
Yup, same last name and all. I love when I hear about others listening to his music, I tell him all the time "yo my co-worker was slappin your stuff" or "I seen them play your song at the vbar". I'll let him know a homie from this shoe site I go on is talking bout you :lol:.

Just gonna throw this out there:pimp:

Btw I wonder what the Asian rappers from the AznRaps days are up to these days. We need to see a reunion of some kind with the explosion of the scene right now

Haha, yeah fa sho. Let em know keep doing his thing. I like seeing these dudes that got talent actually link up too (you cuz Dub P, China Mac and Stupid Young)

This track with Mozzy nice too! Is Dub P from the Town?

I know I’m late but I just saw/finished kingdom on Netflix. Wow it was amazing

Kinda off topic but in Korean history there was a prince who was mentally ill. His name was crown prince sado. He would go crazy and kill maid servants and rape them. It eventually got so bad that the king locked him up in a chest box and he died in 7 days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom