Asian Culture Discussion Thread

In America you don’t really learn that much about Japan imperialism in school. I mean most of the WW2 stuff was about Germany and Italy and everybody knows who Hitler and Mussolini were. I doubt the average person could tell you who was running Japan during that era. All we really learned about Japan was the beginning with Pearl Harbor and the end with Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I think my upbringing was a little different. My parents were pretty silent on it, but my grandparents were not. My grandfather had been arrested, interrogated, and beaten, the last time so badly he had a limp for the rest of his life. On the other side, my great-grandfather had been executed.
I think the first time I really understood it was watching Karate Kid at my grandmother's house with my cousins (vhs lol).
G-ma got :angry: and couldn't believe Daniel had the headband.

I grew up hearing about these stories but my parents had made sure I didn't blindly "hate". It's important to remember and understand.
Also because I spent most of my formative years in Korea, and back then the textbooks and education was the direct opposite of this: maybe a page or two about the Nazis/Facism, and quite a bit of time spent on Japanese Imperialism- it makes sense for both places I guess.

Even in middle school, they used to do routine checks of what we had in our backpacks. Any Japanese products were confiscated. Unlikely to be any kind of official policy, but just shows how intense some people were.

What brand is that shirt anyway? Maybe it is celebrating when Japan did awful things. Japan is still called and referred to as the land of the rising sun.

I'm a little confused by what you are saying. You don't mean it's OK if the shirt is celebrating that time period right?
I think it's the use of the imagery today I have an issue with. Can't escape the fact it's the symbol of that time, regardless of it's origin or original usage.
The words "Rising Sun" doesn't touch me the same way. I mean, that's just the English translation for what Nihon means based on the Chinese letters isn't it?

Thought these Hosoi Vans were dope before learning people were against the rising sun stuff.
523a13c6d3e475ff4499c92c366981b8.jpg

2839311554_d25784386c.jpg

Some interesting takes

I feel like these type of videos don't usually push any type of new insight. It's just about perception and stereotypes.

The same way Asian people are treated in predominantly Black neighborhoods with the Asian jokes, Jackie Chan and Ling Ling, nail shop jokes, mocking the language, etc. They're perceived as the stereotype.

Doesn't mean all Asian or Black people will be that way. It's limited exposure in combination with a certain representative image painted in the respective party's heads.

Last edited:
Exit gracefully. And go start programs or whatever for Love of Game. Pretty sure he’s shattered all expectations.

“Tearful Jeremy Lin reveals he fears his NBA career may be over”
https://mol.im/a/7297205

Not trying to dismiss his feelings but he describes it as "rock bottom is becoming more and more rock bottom".

Dude is still a multimillionaire elite-level athlete with a Harvard Degree. Far from "rock bottom" imo.

Not trying to dismiss his feelings but he describes it as "rock bottom is becoming more and more rock bottom".

Dude is still a multimillionaire elite-level athlete with a Harvard Degree. Far from "rock bottom" imo.

I think he's just talking about his NBA career in general. In the interview he says, "“And the reality is my life isn’t even the worst. A lot of you guys are going through something even worse. And a lot of you guys here know what it means to have your dreams crushed”. Basketball is a huge part of his life, and he probably has to let it go relatively early.

Rock bottom in terms of his goals.

I watched him a lot when he was on the Rockets, and I'd say he was a starter quality player then. He's a drive and kick, pnr player who's game was based a lot around that first step. Not sure if the injuries did him in or if it was a lack of opportunity since I didn't really watch him after he left Houston.

I think he's just talking about his NBA career in general. In the interview he says, "“And the reality is my life isn’t even the worst. A lot of you guys are going through something even worse. And a lot of you guys here know what it means to have your dreams crushed”. Basketball is a huge part of his life, and he probably has to let it go relatively early.
Rock bottom in terms of his goals.

I watched him a lot when he was on the Rockets, and I'd say he was a starter quality player then. He's a drive and kick, pnr player who's game was based a lot around that first step. Not sure if the injuries did him in or if it was a lack of opportunity since I didn't really watch him after he left Houston.

Admittedly I didn't see that part of the interview. That makes a lot more sense. I've only seen the minute or so long version.

Can't he play overseas?

Russia wants him and so does China I presume but obviously he's still trying to play in the NBA. He talks about how he works so hard but his jumper is not where it needs to be. He could play overseas or big 3 and try to come back soon. I want to see him working out with Rico Hines or brickley and get runs in with the best nba guys

Russia wants him and so does China I presume but obviously he's still trying to play in the NBA. He talks about how he works so hard but his jumper is not where it needs to be. He could play overseas or big 3 and try to come back soon. I want to see him working out with Rico Hines or brickley and get runs in with the best nba guys
Lin probably ain’t getting invited to those workouts

Wouldn’t it be controversial if he played in China considering his parents are Taiwanese immigrants?

Last edited:
Think GEM the Chinese singer is religious so I'm guessing China doesn't mind if they don't openly speak out against them because of the money being made

Lin can probably play at the highest Euro league lol.

Its funny how people want or think he will automatically play in China because hes Asian.

Lin can probably play at the highest Euro league lol.

Its funny how people want or think he will automatically play in China because hes Asian.

Think bigger. What would he be in Europe. Starter, benchwarmer, novelty? He would be a star celebrity on/off the court in the Mainland. Harvard grad, NBA vet and champion. His mother’s side from Mainland.
Mainland wants ethnic Chinese to interact and remember their roots. Fact he from Taiwan would be a marketing coup. Want to make Bank, go there. Want to reach and impact most people in local society, go there.

Think bigger. What would he be in Europe. Starter, benchwarmer, novelty? He would be a star celebrity on/off the court in the Mainland. Harvard grad, NBA vet and champion. His mother’s side from Mainland.
Mainland wants ethnic Chinese to interact and remember their roots. Fact he from Taiwan would be a marketing coup. Want to make Bank, go there. Want to reach and impact most people in local society, go there.

Well, he played 9 years in the NBA so im going to assume that he would be at least a starter at a minimum.

Lin seems like a lowkey dude so i dont think he would choose China to just be a bigger celebrity. In terms of impacting local society, what kind of ideas do you have?

In terms of just being a hooper, i would assume he wants to play at the highest level outside of NBA, which Europe would be. I mean you got a point about potential endorsements if he went to China but idk man.

Europe seems like a better place to play. Doesn’t have china’s air pollution or internet restrictions.

As a Knicks fan, I'll always give props to Lin for one reason- that run he had on the Knicks forced Time Warner Cable and MSG to make a deal and bring back MSG to cable. We couldn't watch a lot of those early games but Lin's run put a lot of pressure on Time Warner.

As far as Lin's Rock Bottom speech, this dude has the world in his hand. First off, he's Asian. He can use that to make a great name for himself in China, Taiwan, whatever. He made a decent amount of money for a guy who, if it wasn't for D'Antoni's desperation with his Knicks roster, would have probably faded into obscurity years ago. He has a ring! How many legends who played for years never got a ring! Lin got a mutha****in' ring! Melo is unsigned and ringless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's a Harvard grad!!! Lin needs to cut the God **** out for a second, listen to some Dipset and get that bag in Asia. **** the NBA, he pulled a jux on the NBA money wise, ring wise. Get that bag somewhere else, stop ya bloodclat cryin'.

I wonder if the ig and Twitter comments about him might play a role in his current troubles. I've never seen a player get so many comments about doing nothing for a ring. It has to sting knowing people label him as the guy that did nothing. I hate looking at the comments on any Lin post, it'll always have these trolls

I wonder if the ig and Twitter comments about him might play a role in his current troubles. I've never seen a player get so many comments about doing nothing for a ring. It has to sting knowing people label him as the guy that did nothing. I hate looking at the comments on any Lin post, it'll always have these trolls

On the other end of the spectrum I hate reading the ones that are on his nuts too.
Talking about how he should be a starting PG since he's a champion and all that nonsense.

He was a bench player that barely got any minutes and was along for the ride to a championship.

I can see a bad team picking him up and giving him minutes for cheap. Before his knee injury he played a lot for the nets. Seemed like he still got good minutes with the hornets.

Back
Top Bottom