Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Any of my fellow Asian bros watch “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” yet? What did you think of the Bruce Lee scene? I was not feeling it at all and it made me uncomfortable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-07-31/bruce-lee-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood?_amp=true

I didn’t like it. Not because he got tossed around a little bit, but because Tarantino took Bruce Lee the media personality/movie character and extrapolated that to a "real life" behind the scenes scenario.

I was watching a caricature/****** impersonation of him

Last edited:
For whatever reason racism against asians in America seems to be ok and happens without a bat of an eye

There isn't really a large activist group for Asian Americans to make an uproar the way feminist groups or BLM does when inequality happens

Too many Asians who let **** slide constantly. You could say/do anything to some of these dudes and they wouldn't say anything back.

Too many Asians who let **** slide constantly. You could say/do anything to some of these dudes and they wouldn't say anything back.

Depends. Back in high school whites, blacks, and latinos would say racist things to me. I was the only Asian guy in my grade and if I said anything ignorant back then i’d have problems with the whole group. I was also the quiet Asian who never got in trouble and was in honors classes. Wonder how different it would’ve been if I went to school a few towns over that had a lot of Asians.

Depends. Back in high school whites, blacks, and latinos would say racist things to me. I was the only Asian guy in my grade and if I said anything ignorant back then i’d have problems with the whole group. I was also the quiet Asian who never got in trouble and was in honors classes. Wonder how different it would’ve been if I went to school a few towns over that had a lot of Asians.

Grew up with friends who were in gangs. So we had a lot of race wars growing up.

I would hear things like "go back to your own country." I would respond by saying

- "we're taking over mfer"

- if the person was an older grown up man that happened to be white: "if you're daughter is older than 15, i'm gonna effing rape her....I love white girls!!!... what!!!" Just like the dmx song

Funny enough, never really had problems with people my age growing up based on race. It was always the grown ups saying the racial slurs.

I went to cantonese classes Saturday morning but never learnt a thing because I hated it. I was whitewashed. I regret it now and I'm trying to learn the best I can and embrace my culture. It was just disappointing going back to my motherland 10 years later and just realizing that I don't fit in anywhere

I went to cantonese classes Saturday morning but never learnt a thing because I hated it. I was whitewashed. I regret it now and I'm trying to learn the best I can and embrace my culture. It was just disappointing going back to my motherland 10 years later and just realizing that I don't fit in anywhere

I never went to chinese school but my cantonese is conversational and better than any of my friend's who did take classes. Its all from speaking canto at home and growing up watching movies and dramas (s/o TVB) :lol:

I didn’t like it. Not because he got tossed around a little bit, but because Tarantino took Bruce Lee the media personality/movie character and extrapolated that to a "real life" behind the scenes scenario.

I was watching a caricature/****ty impersonation of him

Hard to believe as well since Brad Pitt got his a*$ handed to him by his teenaged Vietnamese Step-son in an airplane.

I was in the same type of school. You just gotta get good at talking ****.

Hard to believe as well since Brad Pitt got his a*$ handed to him by his teenaged Vietnamese Step-son in an airplane.

Speaking of which, read today that Angelina Jolie's son is going to enroll in university in Korea. I wonder what made him decide to do so

I love watching her videos

06586951-643D-410E-AA44-5CD2820DE960.jpeg

Stayed in the countryside for a couple days during my China trip last week.

It’s nice, but I don’t def don’t miss the smell and ****ting into a hole :lol:

Speaking of which, read today that Angelina Jolie's son is going to enroll in university in Korea. I wonder what made him decide to do so

I hope him and his other asian brother are not raised to think they are white (unlike the halfer Elliot Rodger who did the shooting spree in Californai a couple.of years back).

Hopefully realize that they hit the jackpot where they are, or else they would be street kids somewhere in a 3rd world country in Asia. Non of that mentality weak 1st world entitlement ishhh.

Can't stand Politics:smh::angry:

It’s really the older generation that be trying to spread hate down to the current gen.

Most Koreans have zero problems with Japanese people and vice versa

There’s a lot of things Japanese love about Korean culture and there’s a lot of things Koreans love about Japanese culture.

Pretty sad.

But also it’s kinda sad that many Japanese people are clueless when it comes to their country’s history with war crimes.

It’s really the older generation that be trying to spread hate down to the current gen.

Most Koreans have zero problems with Japanese people and vice versa

Hmmm. Not sure if it's this simple. Goes without saying not all of the older/current generations feel this way. But it's certainly different on a larger social scale now then it was say, 15- 25 years ago. The animosity between the countries goes back a long time ago.

There’s a lot of things Japanese love about Korean culture and there’s a lot of things Koreans love about Japanese culture.

Truth.

Pretty sad.
But also it’s kinda sad that many Japanese people are clueless when it comes to their country’s history with war crimes.

I think it's troubling on both sides, if this time period is just dismissed like "It was in the past, let it go."
Which I feel is the growing sentiment.

Agreed. I’m not saying Koreans should just forget about it, as I 100% believe learning the history is important.

But war (military, trade, etc) only harms both sides

Back
Top Bottom