Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Almost** = key word

I wanna frog splash / suplex / stone cold stunner this 4'11 short Dominican dancer with nice titty meat/buns I met yesterday.

As someone who was raised in the Philippines, and moved here and back a couple of times (school), I can honestly admit that it's a blessing to understand and able to combine two cultures/perspectives. Of course, my mom was a nurse here in Boston, and all she wanted me to be is to be successful and make the BEST out of my opportunities growing up from middle school to high school. She always reminded me to be at my best and to stay away from "bad influences" and ADAPT/be observant. I hated the move from the Philippines but I didn't have a choice. Not a surprise but the transition between middle school to high school, I stuck around with my Dominican/Spanish friends more often than my white friends not because of what they represent or anything, but I felt more AT HOME with my Spanish friends. They even invited me to their parties, too!

Boston doesn't have a lot of Filipino communities before compared to now and back then, my other Fil-Am friends and I often hung around with minorities.

The whole Asian-American phase I went through was quite an experience. I hated it when my mom would tell me to not speak Tagalog while having a conversation in front of white people. Of course I'm not disrespectful. I don't see the big deal and different cultures do it. I learned sports (American football and baseball - though never played competitively). Basketball is in every Filipino's blood so that played out well when I made friends.

It's weird growing up here in Boston, but it was all good. My mom and I went to CA for vacation and I wanted to stay. It was like a big Makati/BGC-The Fort area! There were so many Filipinos!

But yeah, upbringing values in the Philippines helped (still helping) me understand the American culture

(Sorry for the unintended essay)

interesting read last few pages. I have a slightly different experience and perspective than most though, as I was born and raised in the US, but moved to Korea as an adolescent, spent my teens "growing" up there, parents still live there and went back every single year throughout my 20s. Truly a 3rd culture kid, felt out of place in the motherland, but learned to love and embrace it, and found I wasn't quite American when I was there, but wasn't straight Korean either when I came back.

One thing I've noticed about our cultures, is how different it is today than back in the 90s to early 2000s. (damn, it's possible I'm as old as some of your dads :sick::stoneface: ).

It's possible that my experience was in somewhat of a bubble, I don't remember various Asian American groups being so diverse.
Tbh, most crews/cliques, maybe had 1 or 2 "token" non Korean, but now, there seems to be alot more of a mix, but also like that stupid (parking spot idiot) in the video posted a few pages ago, or the token Asian guy.

It's safe to say that many of us older "hyungs" don't see this in such a positive light. I'm not necessarily one of them. I think it's hypocritical to a point, because most of those same fools can't really speak Korean, barely know anything about Korean history, and think Ktown taught them what it means to be Korean.

On the other hand, I look at some of my nephews, little cousins, and realize that wow, their parents can't speak a word of Korean, have no knowledge of history, and only really have food or kpop, video games to connect to their heritage, and just wonder, at what point will they stop caring about their Korean roots?

I know someone that always screams and his younger dongsengs and nephews and tells them how our jeans were baggy, integras and supras were the best cars, soju > sake, kimbab > sushi, pour that drink with two hands and you better insa 90 degrees :rofl:

I guess that what it meant to be Korean "American". To our parents it was survival, trying to provide everything for us, and after 2 decades of their sacrifices, it's keeping up with the "Kims". House, cars, watch, investments, kids, rinse and repeat.

I y'all are Asians born abroad I highly recommend y'all visit the motherland. It'll help you understand your parents and roots better.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you guys are first generation, your parents immigrated back in the day after the laws were lifted. Do you see your kids being a lot more "white-washed" American? I would hope to raise my future kids with knowledge of the PI and Filipino culture/customs, but I feel like itll be harder since I was born here and the way kids are. It helped me that I grew up in an "ethnic enclave" but those are getting smaller from what I've seen.

I hope that my future kids don't get white washed. I disliked how some Chinese girls are all about the "I only date white boys." My sister in law is one of those, but at least my brother in law is good guy and understands some of the traditions or is willing to learn. From what I heard, some interraccial couples are so divided with cultural backgrounds (like no efforts to participate in either).

Being first gen and not being able to speak fluent Chinese is embarrassing. Living in China for 1.5 years, people were surprised how I didn't speak the language and surprised how I spoke English so well. I'm gonna make sure they know a decent amount of culture and tradition. It's part of who they are and their cultural identity regardless if they were born in North America. I've already chosen a language school for them that is near where we live. Wife says it will be hard cause we don't even speak Chinese to each other, but when the first one is born I'm gonna try even if I have to learn some more Chinese. Definitely going to pull the asian parent stereotype with the math class, music class, saturday school, dust wand punishment, etc haha. Not having some spoiled kid who takes stuff for granted.

I know Asian parents liked to discipline us by hitting us, at least the ones I know did. You guys gonna skip the beating with belts and slippers method? I remember hearing my friend’s uncle talk about how he ate his brother’s breakfast and his parents punished him by making him kneel on raw rice for hours

I know Asian parents liked to discipline us by hitting us, at least the ones I know did. You guys gonna skip the beating with belts and slippers method? I remember hearing my friend’s uncle talk about how he ate his brother’s breakfast and his parents punished him by making him kneel on raw rice for hours
Bruh, I remember when I was a kid my dad would be doing work in the backyard and whenever he cut down trees he would make a bunch of sticks to beat my *** with it whenever I didn't behave. :rofl:

I would never hit my child, feel like there's better ways of disciplining.

my dad had an angry voice and a death stare :lol: i was very well behaved as a kid
Same. I remember I had to go to summer school and my parents were upset. So when my dad said the words "You better not do that again, or else..." Oh, I knew never to mess up again.

Never went back to summer school and finished middle school and HS on Honor Roll :lol:

Reactions: Ube
I would never hit my child, feel like there's better ways of disciplining.
i used to get the wood back scratcher, hanger, broom, and belt. :x

i'm not gonna physically discipline my kids either. i think verbally teaching (yelling only when absolutely necessary) is more effective. i don't want my kids to be afraid of me to the point where they don't talk to me.

my dad had an angry voice and a death stare :lol: i was very well behaved as a kid
SAME. i'm still scared of him in my mid 20s :rofl:

Am I considered white washed if I can barely speak Mandarin and semi-fluent in Cantonese? Lol my parents think I am even though I talk to them mostly in Cantonese.

330FE2CE-8686-4725-827A-AEB08FAB9DE1.png

Last edited:
Am I considered white washed if I can barely speak Mandarin and semi-fluent in Cantonese? Lol my parents think I am even though I talk to them mostly in Cantonese.

Nah. It's more of a mentality than a specific thing you can't do.

I consider the example in the post DadNboujee DadNboujee just made to be white washed

Funny. No worries young lady. The Home Grown have already pegged you as Foreign. Not say Good or Bad either way, you just are.

Older than most here, but came here when I was six. So went through Midwest kindergarten like all other kids. When my couple years younger brother and I went every few years back to Taiwan we stick out like sore thumb i.e. foot taller and bigger than average. You could hear the old folks around Grand Parents neighborhood speaking old dialect that "outsiders" were visiting.

She just sounds young and not really into her culture. Too bad. Her loss.

I'm considering taking a class so I can learn to write and speak better :lol:

sorry mom for not taking chinese classes more seriously when i was a kid :frown:

Do you guys penalize tim Tebow by not labeling himself as an “American-Filipino”

Certain people are born in certain situations.

Chloe Kim is only 17, she can still be more interested and invested into korean culture when she gets older. Plus this trip will probably help awaken that side. I know the first time after I went to Korea, I wanted to take my Korean classes more serious and learn more about the history and culture.

Nah. It's more of a mentality than a specific thing you can't do.

I consider the example in the post DadNboujee DadNboujee just made to be white washed
Ah gotcha

I'm considering taking a class so I can learn to write and speak better :lol:

sorry mom for not taking chinese classes more seriously when i was a kid :frown:
Man my *** sorry for not taking Mandarin serious lmao
I passed my mandarin classes in high school but I didn’t give a **** lol

Back
Top Bottom