Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Do you guys think there is an “Asian American culture?” Or if such a thing can exist?

Do we have to create it for it to be defined as Asian American culture or can it just be something that Asian Americans typically do?

Is there black American, white American, or Hispanic American culture?

It def exists. its important to remember that an Asian American =/= Native Asian
Being Asian American really is its own identity imo.

It def exists. its important to remember that an Asian American =/= Native Asian
Being Asian American really is its own identity imo.

Yeah, I agree. Right after I read your post, all this stuff I learned in some Asian American class came flooding back to me lol. I guess if I were to describe it, a lot of it would be around family dynamics, culture clashing, familial and social expectations, and different forms of racism. There seems to be a lot of similar experiences when it comes to those topics.

Is there a less academic way you would describe it? Like, a lot of young Asian Americans appear to disproportionally be into photography, streetwear, dance, etc. Does that become part of Asian American culture?

From what my friends that moved here from Asia tell me...

They say that most Asian Americans have a good balance. They say we have the positive "Western" traits of being very outgoing, independent, and confident, while not having the common negative Western traits of being ignorant, rude, and obnoxious. We also share the same values regarding family, education. What they dislike are the white washed ones that call "native" Asians FOBS and make fun of their accents, customs, etc. in order to fit in with "mainstream" American culture. Some of them feel isolated here when they run into these types of Asian Americans, which is why many of them stick to their own groups from their homeland.

there's definitely a difference between asian-americans and asians raised in asia.

we're alot more liberal and free-spirited than people raised in the motherland. i noticed native asians are ALOT more structured/disciplined with everything, and they tend to follow the rules to the T.

i have family who recently moved here from the philippines. they don't like how we fil-ams curse with friends, party and stay out late, aren't as religious/conservative as we accept the LGBTQ openly, and have tattoos/piercings.

Last edited:
From what my friends that moved here from Asia tell me...

They say that most Asian Americans have a good balance. They say we have the positive "Western" traits of being very outgoing, independent, and confident, while not having the common negative Western traits of being ignorant, rude, and obnoxious. We also share the same values regarding family, education. What they dislike are the white washed ones that call "native" Asians FOBS and make fun of their accents, customs, etc. in order to fit in with "mainstream" American culture. Some of them feel isolated here when they run into these types of Asian Americans, which is why many of them stick to their own groups from their homeland.

there's definitely a difference between asian-americans and asians raised in asia.

we're alot more liberal and free-spirited than people raised in the motherland. i noticed native asians are ALOT more structured/disciplined with everything, and they tend to follow the rules to the T.

i have family who recently moved here from the philippines. they don't like how we fil-ams curse with friends, party and stay out late, aren't as religious/conservative as we accept the LGBTQ openly, and have tattoos/piercings.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you guys are first generation, your parents immigrated back in the day after the laws were lifted. Do you see your kids being a lot more "white-washed" American? I would hope to raise my future kids with knowledge of the PI and Filipino culture/customs, but I feel like itll be harder since I was born here and the way kids are. It helped me that I grew up in an "ethnic enclave" but those are getting smaller from what I've seen.

It really depends on the social class in the Philippines. In the Philippines, you got Class A, B, C, D, E and F I think. Class A and B are the upper class. The folks living in $ 10m - $ 30m at Forbes park and are neighbors with the likes of Manny Pacquiao.

I can say that I hit the jackpot by not being born the in the lower echelon (e.g. super poor, broken family with too many kids, no education etc.). The party people in the upper class in their 20s and 30s. They party hard. Probably harder than here since some of them dont have to work, different work hours but still with lots of $$$. Any night of the week, people are out chilling in late night clubs/bars/restos (In makati/bgc anyways).

One thing I noticed there is that with what they see in western media, they think its real life, so they emulate. Especially the fun times.

It is such a disparity between the rich and poor over there, that when you talk about going to a higher end club or resto, if you are conversing with someone who may belong to the lower Classes, they may not know what you are talking about.

Basically, if you wanna have fun in Manila, it can much more extreme than what you can have here in North America and Europe.

Also the sense of entrepreneurship among my friends over there is much higher than here. Everyone wants to come up with new businesses, how to bend the rules, who to bribe etc. I remember I was told by an older relative about one of the reasons why companies with female leaders may not succeed. It is because of the possibility of not being able to win as much business connections or business deals.

E.g. you have a prospective partner. You take em out. At night, you take em out to an Adult KTV / wh*re house. You can only do that if its all male. Also, when you have Asian presidents and their advisors visiting other advisors, best believe the accomodation is nothing short of "presidential".

The last Duterte convoy to China, lets just say the President of China was an exceptional host.

Anyways, back on topic gents.

Your family must be the norm over there. Or maybe members of my family are just way less conservative. My older cousin from Makati stayed with us for a few weeks. She thought it was weird america had speeding limits and that drunk driving was a thing. I think she’s the wild one of my uncle’s daughters though.

As far as there being an Asian-American culture, there’s a general one and then the more specific national Asian culture from our parents’ country.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you guys are first generation, your parents immigrated back in the day after the laws were lifted. Do you see your kids being a lot more "white-washed" American? I would hope to raise my future kids with knowledge of the PI and Filipino culture/customs, but I feel like itll be harder since I was born here and the way kids are. It helped me that I grew up in an "ethnic enclave" but those are getting smaller from what I've seen.

The day my kid becomes one of those white washed clowns is the day I'm cutting him or her off. Couldn't stand those people growing up and still can't now. I place a lot of value in culture and hope my kids will learn the best of every culture instead of being generic American, the same way my parents raised me.

If I'm still living in the US at that point, it will be non-San Francisco/Los Gatos part of the Bay Area or non-Hollywood/Beverly Hills LA, so I'm not too worried. I live in a majority Japanese, Korean, and Chinese part of the Bay Area while I grew up in (and still visit my parents in) a majority Filipino, Vietnamese, and Indian area; I don't plan on changing any of that

Last edited:
I also agree with the comments about the PI. Older relatives might be one thing, but my well-off Filipino friends in their 20s-30s from there are hardly conservative and party much harder than most Americans. They always clown on Cali bars/clubs closing at 1-2 AM since they don't get back home until 6-7 AM back in Manila

Last edited:
I also agree with the comments about the PI. Older relatives might be one thing, but my well-off Filipino friends in their 20s-30s from there are hardly conservative and party much harder than most Americans. They always clown on Cali bars/clubs closing at 1-2 AM since they don't get back home until 6-7 AM back in Manila

I lived there for awhile and those spoiled rich kids are ultra shallow, party hard every night and then church on Sunday. Lifestyle of the super rich, living that Paris Hilton dream.

I lived there for awhile and those spoiled rich kids are ultra shallow, party hard every night and then church on Sunday. Lifestyle of the super rich, living that Paris Hilton dream.

My friends aren't on that level :lol: they're just regular people with good jobs.

My friends aren't on that level :lol: they're just regular people with good jobs.

:lol: I went to school out there so I was classmates/friends with doctors’ kids, and their friends etc so I saw this stuff on my social media feeds. Plus just walking around the nicer areas you see these douche looking dudes rolling in packs :lol:

There's a lot of Asian Americans that are so white washed they ignore and even reject the motherland culture.

But then I see them go take a vaca to the motherland on their instagram to reap the positives it has to offer acting like they're cultured then come back to being some white washed Asian again.

Know this one chick thats Korean American and her husband is white. Tries to play off the whole "korean culture" **** on her instagram and dress her kids in a hanbok when she

1. doesnt even know how to speak/read/write korean unless she google translate it
2. never mentions korean culture unless its something to showoff for the gram
3. doesnt even adhere to korean culture

they only play the asian card to use it for their benefit.

There's a lot of Asian Americans that are so white washed they ignore and even reject the motherland culture.

But then I see them go take a vaca to the motherland on their instagram to reap the positives it has to offer acting like they're cultured then come back to being some white washed Asian again.

Know this one chick thats Korean American and her husband is white. Tries to play off the whole "korean culture" **** on her instagram and dress her kids in a hanbok when she

1. doesnt even know how to speak/read/write korean unless she google translate it

If I'ma be honest, I feel like majority of Asians nowadays are so white washed. They are embarrassed to speak their native language in public or they don't know it, not cultured at all. Trying so hard to fit in amongst non-asian groups. It's cringeworthy. Usually see this type of behavior from females that won't even don't date their own race. Literally, say "I only day white guys" :smh::smh::smh: I don't understand perception that they are trying to receive from other people by dating a non-asian.

edit: i feel like their trying to achieve this social status of i'm better than the basic asian bch cuz i'm able to pull a white guy.

Last edited:

Julie Chen immediately came to mind. Even went as far as getting double eyelid surgery when her old boss said she looked too asian. FDB

Anyone know this **** boy is? Dude deserves to be curbed stomped. He wants approval from Trevor and Connor so bad.

My family’s from the province, so their culture shock is understandable.

I honestly never met any mega rich folks in the Philippines :lol: I wonder if they’re snootier than the rich American kids I know.

I’m Americanized but I don’t think I’m white-washed (if that makes sense? :lol:), especially since I was raised in a part of the Bay Area where the majority of the population is Filipino. My family raised me with Filipino values and made damn sure I was fluent in the language and knew the culture :lol:

I only had serious relationships with Asians too. Idk, I never really connected with white people since I’ve been around Asians all my life.

Last edited:
Julie Chen immediately came to mind. Even went as far as getting double eyelid surgery when her old boss said she looked too asian. FDB

Chen can speak Mandarin Chinese but is not entirely fluent. Regarding her heritage, she stated: "[W]hen my son was born it was like a revival of me trying to get back in touch with my Chinese roots. It's important for me to have it back in my life, so I could put it into my son's life."

she's been a clown. not surprised.

When I was young dumb and stupid (talking about before I was 15) I definitely wanted to be white washed because of my insecurities surrounding my culture. It was hard being bullied and teased at school for not knowing how to speak English, bringing “stinky” lunch to school and feeling isolated because I couldn’t fit in.

I went through a phase where I was embarrassed to be Asian, didn’t want to speak the language in public when I was with my parents and wished I could just be like everyone else. I grew up in New Zealand and at that time there weren’t that many immigrants and I grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood. But somewhere along the line I started getting in touch with my Taiwanese roots and I’m so super grateful I’ve from an Asian culture. I don’t agree with a lot of the more traditional Asian cultural norms but it’s something I really embrace. If I ever have kids one day I’ll be sure to tell them the importance of knowing where he/she came from

Do you guys think there is an “Asian American culture?” Or if such a thing can exist?

im not quoting this to answer wheter there is an asian american culture, but to me just like someone else said there is a difference between filipinos and fil-americans. wanted to say it a couple of times in this thread but i didnt want to say it cus i didnt want to be somewhat offensive. if you cant talk to me in filipino or bisaya, or even tell me what the difference is between tagalog and filipino (these are just my over simplified criteria), then in my eyes you are american. your first generation tatays or titos and titas or pinsans that moved to the us,they’re the filipinos. you are not. at least culturally.
from what i can tell its very important in the us to have a cultural identity (this is why this thread exists right?) but its just not something the rest of us think about everyday.
i hope i dont offend anyone here.

Few years back you say? Yeah, that kpop phase thing never really goes away. Just saying.

Oh ****, when did this turn into a K-Pop appreciation thread :lol:

But tbh, yeah you can never really drop K-pop once you start listening to it. That being said, I've been listening to it LESS lately.........gravitating more back to my typical hip-hop and r&b **** that I normally ****s with.

But nah, I'll never stop with rite there :nthat:

My cynicism got the best of me when I read this link, but I will encourage everyone to form their own independent opinion based on individual experience. Don't get caught up in The Hype with politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle. Nobody gets a pass. Period.
Just because dude was all in with his work Administration and Barry used a few Korean words don't mean squat. I was CR Chair for an election cycle during School back in the day with one of the more powerful Congressional Patrons. There's good, bad and ugly enough to go around.
As an Asian/Pacific Islander person in America, it's good to be involved in understanding the process for the benefit of self, Family and Community.

Back
Top Bottom