Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

Go ahead ask me anything.
I have worked for WME for 2.5 years, seen a lot.

Agencies are basically the "hubs of Hollywood" its kind of like grad school for the entertainment agency.

from here people are exposed to every facet of the industry. WME reps musicians, writers,actors,directors etc

from this vantage point we work with studios, productions companies, ent lawyers, publicists, financiers and are branching out into fortune 500 brand mangement (out of necessity, mostly)

If you watch Entourage, WME is where they film the agency part, thats the office I work at every days. Also if you watch Entourage you know a little about the positions I'm an assistant and may make agent in a year but am debating about leaving for grad school. 

Go ahead ask me anything.
I have worked for WME for 2.5 years, seen a lot.

Agencies are basically the "hubs of Hollywood" its kind of like grad school for the entertainment agency.

from here people are exposed to every facet of the industry. WME reps musicians, writers,actors,directors etc

from this vantage point we work with studios, productions companies, ent lawyers, publicists, financiers and are branching out into fortune 500 brand mangement (out of necessity, mostly)

If you watch Entourage, WME is where they film the agency part, thats the office I work at every days. Also if you watch Entourage you know a little about the positions I'm an assistant and may make agent in a year but am debating about leaving for grad school. 

Thanks. I always have questions.

All of my first set of questions will be race centered.

1. Do you think a black woman with non-permed hair is risking her chances of making it by wearing her hair in the natural state? Do agencies favor women of color with more "Euro-Centric" features? Slim and straight hair to name a few?

2. Overweight black women, what is the general thought about them in Hollywood? Seen one, seen them all? Do you feel there are enough of them in Hollywood so to make it as an overweight black women is very slim?

3. Do you think Precious will do anything worthy in the future? Or was her first film going to be it for her? Can we really expect her to be taken serious as an actor considering her physical makeup?

I have more I can ask alter.

1. Do you think a black woman with non-permed hair is risking her chances of making it by wearing her hair in the natural state? Do agencies favor women of color with more "Euro-Centric" features? Slim and straight hair to name a few?

2. Overweight black women, what is the general thought about them in Hollywood? Seen one, seen them all? Do you feel there are enough of them in Hollywood so to make it as an overweight black women is very slim?

3. Do you think Precious will do anything worthy in the future? Or was her first film going to be it for her? Can we really expect her to be taken serious as an actor considering her physical makeup?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

1. Yes, the whiter they look the better (in general) look at the actors (of any race really) they usually have very caucasian features. I work for a large company now but was at a management co where they break actors in before. Phrases like"she's too black" or "too fat" or "too asiany" are unfortunately fairly common at that level.
2. Fat= bad but if they have a potential fan base agents will be willing to take a chance (think Queen Latifa) 

3. While precious (lol) is being given roles right now by her agents, the final say come down the director and studio. Its going to be tough because her character isn't seen a lot. That said, there could be roles written for her and she has a big role in a movie coming out next year. (its a small movie though, much like precious, however it may not pop)

Ask whatever you like, my boss is OOT so todays gonna be slowww

1. Yes, the whiter they look the better (in general) look at the actors (of any race really) they usually have very caucasian features. I work for a large company now but was at a management co where they break actors in before. Phrases like"she's too black" or "too fat" or "too asiany" are unfortunately fairly common at that level.
2. Fat= bad but if they have a potential fan base agents will be willing to take a chance (think Queen Latifa) 

3. While precious (lol) is being given roles right now by her agents, the final say come down the director and studio. Its going to be tough because her character isn't seen a lot. That said, there could be roles written for her and she has a big role in a movie coming out next year. (its a small movie though, much like precious, however it may not pop)

Ask whatever you like, my boss is OOT so todays gonna be slowww

Originally Posted by omgitswes

do yall have a backroom casting couch?

thats prevalent at smaller companies, not quite what your thinking but people are taken advantage of everyday by those who hold the key to their "dreams"

Originally Posted by omgitswes

do yall have a backroom casting couch?

thats prevalent at smaller companies, not quite what your thinking but people are taken advantage of everyday by those who hold the key to their "dreams"

What are the best ways for an actor and writer (two separate people) to be noticed by an agent? What do you need to include in your query and resume (acting) to really catch their attention?

What are the best ways for an actor and writer (two separate people) to be noticed by an agent? What do you need to include in your query and resume (acting) to really catch their attention?

1. What are some of the most racist things you have heard tossed around at/about potentials? You don't have to say who said it nor who they were talking about?

2. What exactly do you do? You are using terminology I have no idea about. What is a PA? You have to talk to us like we are dumb because all of us aren't from LA. LOL

3. The cocaine issue. Again, am I EXPECTED to participate in drug usage? How about if I just don't mix my personal life with "those people."

4. So who is clean? Does a clean actor not exist?

1. What are some of the most racist things you have heard tossed around at/about potentials? You don't have to say who said it nor who they were talking about?

2. What exactly do you do? You are using terminology I have no idea about. What is a PA? You have to talk to us like we are dumb because all of us aren't from LA. LOL

3. The cocaine issue. Again, am I EXPECTED to participate in drug usage? How about if I just don't mix my personal life with "those people."

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm gonna tell it to you straight. Queries are first check to see if the pictures are funny and then thrown out. If you have a great picture and a decent resume to start then MAYBE a small agency will give you a look. Forget about the big boys, where i work we poach big names only. New people do get signed but they have been in decent things, like a hot summer movie. 
If your new to the game start targeting small companies, get an IMDB PRO account and go down the list.

A lot of farming for actors is done through referrals from acting classes. Classes also hold showcases for their students, many young agents in search of the hot new talent go to them. The quality of classes is wide so stick with a big name. basically: CLASS IS A MUST for new actors. Even Denzel works with his old teacher on getting roles perfect today. 

For a writer you have to have a sample, its called a spec script (google that phrase) and then through networking hope someone of importance reads it and likes it. Here it can be a producer, agent, actor, writer, director studio exec etc etc

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm gonna tell it to you straight. Queries are first check to see if the pictures are funny and then thrown out. If you have a great picture and a decent resume to start then MAYBE a small agency will give you a look. Forget about the big boys, where i work we poach big names only. New people do get signed but they have been in decent things, like a hot summer movie. 
If your new to the game start targeting small companies, get an IMDB PRO account and go down the list.

A lot of farming for actors is done through referrals from acting classes. Classes also hold showcases for their students, many young agents in search of the hot new talent go to them. The quality of classes is wide so stick with a big name. basically: CLASS IS A MUST for new actors. Even Denzel works with his old teacher on getting roles perfect today. 

For a writer you have to have a sample, its called a spec script (google that phrase) and then through networking hope someone of importance reads it and likes it. Here it can be a producer, agent, actor, writer, director studio exec etc etc

1. Everything is discrete for the most part no one will say anything to people's faces. I'm not white or black but we all know regardless of industry or function that things may be said behind closed doors.
2. PA: production assistant, work on set of a film or TV show, mostly grunt work (get coffee) but good exposure if that where you want to be, a friend of mine started as a PA and is now a producer on House

I am an assistant to a talent agent the next step is junior agent for me if i stay and am lucky, sorry for the lingo ask me and i'll clarify for you. I was just a regular guy standing in line for J's and moved out here, worked hard, got lucky and now see wild #@% all the time.

3. Wise pharoah is not so wise, cocaine use is not expected, if you are a young actor and your reps find out they WILL drop you unless ofcourse you make money, then they will try to help you. But only because you are a paycheck to them. Think about it whats in it for them to have you strung out and not do well in auditions?

the only time i can think of when cocaine is brought into the picture is for recreation or younger cats taking advantage of dumb blondes who just got of the bus from PA. Its not rampant at all. 

4. Everyone smokes weed and alot of them take pills like Xanax and stuff but coke is minimal

1. Everything is discrete for the most part no one will say anything to people's faces. I'm not white or black but we all know regardless of industry or function that things may be said behind closed doors.
2. PA: production assistant, work on set of a film or TV show, mostly grunt work (get coffee) but good exposure if that where you want to be, a friend of mine started as a PA and is now a producer on House

I am an assistant to a talent agent the next step is junior agent for me if i stay and am lucky, sorry for the lingo ask me and i'll clarify for you. I was just a regular guy standing in line for J's and moved out here, worked hard, got lucky and now see wild #@% all the time.

3. Wise pharoah is not so wise, cocaine use is not expected, if you are a young actor and your reps find out they WILL drop you unless ofcourse you make money, then they will try to help you. But only because you are a paycheck to them. Think about it whats in it for them to have you strung out and not do well in auditions?

the only time i can think of when cocaine is brought into the picture is for recreation or younger cats taking advantage of dumb blondes who just got of the bus from PA. Its not rampant at all. 

4. Everyone smokes weed and alot of them take pills like Xanax and stuff but coke is minimal

Right now what type of movies do you predict will be the most pushed over the next few years? It seems like comedies have been pushed quite a bit over the few years.

Are sport movies respected within the industry?

Right now what type of movies do you predict will be the most pushed over the next few years? It seems like comedies have been pushed quite a bit over the few years.

Are sport movies respected within the industry?

did you start in the mailroom?

does everyone start in the mailroom regardless of what degree they hold or what school they went to?

Back
Top Bottom