Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

did you start in the mailroom?

does everyone start in the mailroom regardless of what degree they hold or what school they went to?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Right now what type of movies do you predict will be the most pushed over the next few years? It seems like comedies have been pushed quite a bit over the few years.

Are sport movies respected within the industry?

Studios hate to get out of their comfort zones, the trend os fore more comic type stuff that already has a built in fan base. Indies are different, (slumdog) anything can come out of the indie world and many recent great films are indies.
Expect more of the same from studios, big action summer hits, and stupid mass market Paul Blart Mall Cop type comedies.

Sports movies are a very small niche of the film market, they have a place but studios know that hitting a home run at the box office with one is rare.

Right now what type of movies do you predict will be the most pushed over the next few years? It seems like comedies have been pushed quite a bit over the few years.

Are sport movies respected within the industry?

Studios hate to get out of their comfort zones, the trend os fore more comic type stuff that already has a built in fan base. Indies are different, (slumdog) anything can come out of the indie world and many recent great films are indies.
Expect more of the same from studios, big action summer hits, and stupid mass market Paul Blart Mall Cop type comedies.

Sports movies are a very small niche of the film market, they have a place but studios know that hitting a home run at the box office with one is rare.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

does everyone start in the mailroom regardless of what degree they hold or what school they went to?

You need a college degree to work there officially.
There are interns who are still in college.

Most people start in the mail room, I was an intern (through grad school) got an offer and dropped out. I luckily didn't have to start in the mailroom because I interned for my current boss, and he's other asst. left, i was already doing the job so he just hired me. Not a great way to make friends because people wait a year or two for this job.

Schools dont matter. gotta have a 4 year degree though

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

You need a college degree to work there officially.
There are interns who are still in college.

Most people start in the mail room, I was an intern (through grad school) got an offer and dropped out. I luckily didn't have to start in the mailroom because I interned for my current boss, and he's other asst. left, i was already doing the job so he just hired me. Not a great way to make friends because people wait a year or two for this job.

Schools dont matter. gotta have a 4 year degree though

1. How long are you work hours? Any time for yourself?

2. Do a lot a girls try to talk to you because they think you can "Put them on."

Just throw some things out there. Misconceptions that the general public might have about Hollywood.

2. Do a lot a girls try to talk to you because they think you can "Put them on."

Just throw some things out there. Misconceptions that the general public might have about Hollywood.

Originally Posted by twofastforlove

whose the most promiscuous female?
any funny/crazy celeb stories?
how did you get the gig and how much you make?
Will not divulge anything that would get me trouble,  no client or company info, only industry stuff.
I got the gig by calling up the HR dept. and pretending to be my boss at the time( I was at a production company) I said that I had a great guy for their intern program and sent "my" resume over.

HR form the agency called me 2 minutes later! I picked up the phone and started talking with them, the dude realized and asks me if it was me who had called. I came clean and said yes, he told me to come in the next day for an interview!

The interview was the standard stuff, they made it a point to warn me about the craziness that goes on here and then told me they would be in touch. Own my way out i dropped a name and the guy looks at me like im stupid for not say this sooner, he takes me to meet an agent.....boom, internship (no Pay) from there i got hired full time.

The pay is OK, wont get into details but we work 12 hours a day, its definitely not good for the amount of work we do. It comparable to the avg starting salary out of college.

Originally Posted by twofastforlove

whose the most promiscuous female?
any funny/crazy celeb stories?
how did you get the gig and how much you make?
Will not divulge anything that would get me trouble,  no client or company info, only industry stuff.
I got the gig by calling up the HR dept. and pretending to be my boss at the time( I was at a production company) I said that I had a great guy for their intern program and sent "my" resume over.

HR form the agency called me 2 minutes later! I picked up the phone and started talking with them, the dude realized and asks me if it was me who had called. I came clean and said yes, he told me to come in the next day for an interview!

The interview was the standard stuff, they made it a point to warn me about the craziness that goes on here and then told me they would be in touch. Own my way out i dropped a name and the guy looks at me like im stupid for not say this sooner, he takes me to meet an agent.....boom, internship (no Pay) from there i got hired full time.

The pay is OK, wont get into details but we work 12 hours a day, its definitely not good for the amount of work we do. It comparable to the avg starting salary out of college.

12 hours a day, weekends free for now.
Girls become really friendly when they figure out what you do, unfortunately i cant really do anything form them right now (not that i would). Taking advantage of women is seen as a right of the agents only. People can get in trouble or fired by promising things because then these nutty ladies start calling the office.

My boss sat me down one time and said: your time will come once your an agent it will be falling out of the sky. 

Girls become really friendly when they figure out what you do, unfortunately i cant really do anything form them right now (not that i would). Taking advantage of women is seen as a right of the agents only. People can get in trouble or fired by promising things because then these nutty ladies start calling the office.

My boss sat me down one time and said: your time will come once your an agent it will be falling out of the sky. 

laugh.gif
 @ this rival thread

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

is it easier to get ahead by jumping ship or by staying put (sorry, poorly worded question).

for instance.  you say that with some more hard work and a little bit of lucky you have a shot at a junior agent position in the next year or two.

do agencies snipe up and coming interns/assistants from each other?  would you have a better chance of say... submitting a resume to CAA in the hopes of landing a junior agent position, than riding it out at WME in the hopes you get promoted?  I know the industry is super cutthroat so I was just wondering if another agency would be willing to "promote" you so that they can steal talent on the cheap from a competitor.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

is it easier to get ahead by jumping ship or by staying put (sorry, poorly worded question).

for instance.  you say that with some more hard work and a little bit of lucky you have a shot at a junior agent position in the next year or two.

do agencies snipe up and coming interns/assistants from each other?  would you have a better chance of say... submitting a resume to CAA in the hopes of landing a junior agent position, than riding it out at WME in the hopes you get promoted?  I know the industry is super cutthroat so I was just wondering if another agency would be willing to "promote" you so that they can steal talent on the cheap from a competitor.

1. So what are your long term dreams

2. Do you ever get discouraged and wonder, "When will my time come?"

3. Who are some well known talents that have come through your company?

1. So what are your long term dreams

2. Do you ever get discouraged and wonder, "When will my time come?"

3. Who are some well known talents that have come through your company?

1. What's the industry like in terms of stand-up comedians? (if you guys deal with them)

2. Are there a ton of people trying to get into stand-up?

3. Is it harder/easier to break into versus someone who wants to be an actor/model/etc?

1. What's the industry like in terms of stand-up comedians? (if you guys deal with them)

2. Are there a ton of people trying to get into stand-up?

3. Is it harder/easier to break into versus someone who wants to be an actor/model/etc?

Back
Top Bottom