Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

1. How long are you work hours? Any time for yourself?

2. Do a lot a girls try to talk to you because they think you can "Put them on."

Just throw some things out there. Misconceptions that the general public might have about Hollywood.

12 hours a day, weekends free for now.
Girls become really friendly when they figure out what you do, unfortunately i cant really do anything form them right now (not that i would). Taking advantage of women is seen as a right of the agents only. People can get in trouble or fired by promising things because then these nutty ladies start calling the office.

My boss sat me down one time and said: your time will come once your an agent it will be falling out of the sky. 

is it easier to get ahead by jumping ship or by staying put (sorry, poorly worded question).

for instance.  you say that with some more hard work and a little bit of lucky you have a shot at a junior agent position in the next year or two.

do agencies snipe up and coming interns/assistants from each other?  would you have a better chance of say... submitting a resume to CAA in the hopes of landing a junior agent position, than riding it out at WME in the hopes you get promoted?  I know the industry is super cutthroat so I was just wondering if another agency would be willing to "promote" you so that they can steal talent on the cheap from a competitor.
The only time agencies poach other agents os for their clients. The clients usually stay with agents. If i leave i would have to start all over at the bottom. That said, there are people who leave for money, they are just more established. Interns are bottom of the barrel, no one even in the company cares about them, they make copies. Talent doesn't come cheap, the other agency will pay for it. Its about the status and the big F-U to the other agency when you steal their clients or agents.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

2. Do a lot a girls try to talk to you because they think you can "Put them on."

Just throw some things out there. Misconceptions that the general public might have about Hollywood.

Girls become really friendly when they figure out what you do, unfortunately i cant really do anything form them right now (not that i would). Taking advantage of women is seen as a right of the agents only. People can get in trouble or fired by promising things because then these nutty ladies start calling the office.

My boss sat me down one time and said: your time will come once your an agent it will be falling out of the sky. 

is it easier to get ahead by jumping ship or by staying put (sorry, poorly worded question).

for instance.  you say that with some more hard work and a little bit of lucky you have a shot at a junior agent position in the next year or two.

do agencies snipe up and coming interns/assistants from each other?  would you have a better chance of say... submitting a resume to CAA in the hopes of landing a junior agent position, than riding it out at WME in the hopes you get promoted?  I know the industry is super cutthroat so I was just wondering if another agency would be willing to "promote" you so that they can steal talent on the cheap from a competitor.
The only time agencies poach other agents os for their clients. The clients usually stay with agents. If i leave i would have to start all over at the bottom. That said, there are people who leave for money, they are just more established. Interns are bottom of the barrel, no one even in the company cares about them, they make copies. Talent doesn't come cheap, the other agency will pay for it. Its about the status and the big F-U to the other agency when you steal their clients or agents.

Forward me the UTA Joblist
nerd.gif

1. So what are your long term dreams

2. Do you ever get discouraged and wonder, "When will my time come?"

3. Who are some well known talents that have come through your company?
1/2. its hard to stay happy, the glamour is cool but thats about it, my boss and every agent i have seen is literally a maniac. We have a saying over here: on the crazy scale form 1 to 10 if a 10 gets locked up in a mental asylum with a straight jacket, all the 8's and 9's come to Hollywood Agencies.
Its a tough town and I'm debating going to business school right now.

Google: William Morris Endeavor, i work for one of the big boys in the film dept. so the names are big. I wont tell you who cause then you would know the agent.

1. So what are your long term dreams

2. Do you ever get discouraged and wonder, "When will my time come?"

3. Who are some well known talents that have come through your company?
1/2. its hard to stay happy, the glamour is cool but thats about it, my boss and every agent i have seen is literally a maniac. We have a saying over here: on the crazy scale form 1 to 10 if a 10 gets locked up in a mental asylum with a straight jacket, all the 8's and 9's come to Hollywood Agencies.
Its a tough town and I'm debating going to business school right now.

Google: William Morris Endeavor, i work for one of the big boys in the film dept. so the names are big. I wont tell you who cause then you would know the agent.

what do you eat during your work week?

how is your sleep?

do you go to the gym?

what do you eat during your work week?

how is your sleep?

do you go to the gym?

Originally Posted by Nek32

1. What's the industry like in terms of stand-up comedians? (if you guys deal with them)

2. Are there a ton of people trying to get into stand-up?

3. Is it harder/easier to break into versus someone who wants to be an actor/model/etc?

I cant speak on this too much, we do have a stand up division though,
2. YES

3. I'd say easier because there are small club where you can be seen

Originally Posted by Nek32

1. What's the industry like in terms of stand-up comedians? (if you guys deal with them)

2. Are there a ton of people trying to get into stand-up?

3. Is it harder/easier to break into versus someone who wants to be an actor/model/etc?

I cant speak on this too much, we do have a stand up division though,
2. YES

3. I'd say easier because there are small club where you can be seen

does it make it any easier to make it in the industry if you are Jewish? (serious question)

the only reason I ask is, (from my limited observations) it seems like the Jewish community especially in LA is a fairly close interconnected circle, and many Jewish people work in the industry. I'm not basing this off what I see on Entourage but more from personal observation.

does it make it any easier to make it in the industry if you are Jewish? (serious question)

the only reason I ask is, (from my limited observations) it seems like the Jewish community especially in LA is a fairly close interconnected circle, and many Jewish people work in the industry. I'm not basing this off what I see on Entourage but more from personal observation.

Oh, and can you get me an interview, I'm willing to leave my current job and start in the mailroom for @@+$ pay

Oh, and can you get me an interview, I'm willing to leave my current job and start in the mailroom for @@+$ pay

^^^^clarification is more the word i was looking for,

My life sucks, I run for about 30 min when i get home, eat out two meals a day.

Being jewish helps of course, but the connections help more.

My ultimate goal doesn't really include the ent industry, this is why i am applying to B school soon (really leaning towards that)

Whoever wants the UTA joblist give me your email ill send one out later today

Back
Top Bottom