Ask the Barber

I want this but with the sides longer and fades.  What is the haircut called?
HardenBeard-51611.jpg

I told my barber to cut my hair short but not too short. After he cut my hair he said he used a number 2 clipper. It was still shorter than I would have liked .. what number clipper should I tell him to use next time so my hair isnt a short?

Originally Posted by eashawty

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

wats the best tools/poducts to use to shave my beard stache & under the chin/neck area? all got is sum t outliners...& im black if that helps

Shaving, that'll leave no bumps = The Wahl 5 Star Electric Razor.
is that the same thing as the wahl 5 star shaver shaper? a dude told me before to trim the hair wit the outliner & then shave wit the wahl shaver cause usin the shaver on long hair causes bumps. & would i really see that much difference if i got rid of my t outliner & got the outliner 2?

Originally Posted by trimane24

Why do barbers push your edge up back when you specifically tell them not too?

You might have a receding hairline, they also will push it back it'll grow back faster along with looking ugly to get you back into the barbershop a week later! 

Shaving, that'll leave no bumps = The Wahl 5 Star Electric Razor.
is that the same thing as the wahl 5 star shaver shaper? a dude told me before to trim the hair wit the outliner & then shave wit the wahl shaver cause usin the shaver on long hair causes bumps. & would i really see that much difference if i got rid of my t outliner & got the outliner 2?

I'm pretty sure that the Outliners are 'causing the bumps... 
The blades on them are too close and are 'causing irritation! 

Only reason I said for people to get the Outliner 2's is 'cause they have a smaller blade.

It's not as long and don't have to worry about cutting too much when shaping their edge up's/line up's along with their beards. 

Yes, they are the same electric razor.

Doubt it's them though...?

Originally Posted by pianoman52

anybody got a pic of a gentleman's haircut?

Regular Man's taper. 
Not a bald taper fade.

You'd be able to get it shorter on top if you'd like. 

Would help to transition better.

tripp.jpg

or a Regular Man's Haircut. 

Regular_Men_s_Haircut.jpg

Originally Posted by Wilroc

I told my barber to cut my hair short but not too short. After he cut my hair he said he used a number 2 clipper. It was still shorter than I would have liked .. what number clipper should I tell him to use next time so my hair isnt a short?

I had a conversion post from guards to the how much they take off a few pages back.
Try a 3 guard... 

That's 3/8 of an inch left on top.

why do my wahl color key clippers keep cutting off and on? as if the power to them cuts in and out?

Originally Posted by lil rell

why do my wahl color key clippers keep cutting off and on? as if the power to them cuts in and out?

Have you cleaned the hair in between the blades with blade wash?
Have you oiled them?

Made sure you didn't bend the cord all crazy?

Have you oiled them?

yes.
yes.

might be the culprit. idk though they only stay on when i hold them a certain way

Have you oiled them?

yes.
yes.

might be the culprit. idk though they only stay on when i hold them a certain way

The way the cord got bent might be why... 
How long have you had 'em?

I've been cutting my own for about 7 yrs. decided recently to upgrade. I've been using the fast feeds and the andis pivot pro trimmers with the guards for cuts and beard work and the wahl 5 star detailer for crispy lineups. been giving myself great cuts for years. and through practice got dope at side n back tapers. my fade game is nice.

just reecently copped the andis improved masters and the guard set. planning on copping the fade masters, phat masters and the oster 76. just to have some options. i wish there was a way to try them all before buying, but whatever lol.

any suggestions, or new things/routines to try?

My barber knows never to line me up. Most barbers OD when it comes to line ups. smh. Not a good look when a day or two after your cut you can see the hair growing back from the line up.

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I should b taking my masterbarber test in March. In the middle of trying to find a shop to work at now.

Im looking to open my own shop by the end of the year (if i pass my master test )

Queens/NY NTers will be hooked up

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

what part of queens?

My cut is dumb easy. If you cant do this just quit...lol

#1 all around. 

Most likely around Bayside / Whitestone since thats where I live. 

keep us posted
pimp.gif

how much will you be charging for a cut?

Have you oiled them?

yes.
yes.

about a year and a half

haven't been to the barber in years, so excuse the ignorance. can I get a back of the head/ear taper length 5 just by itself? do i have to pay same cost of a normal haircut since I just want the lower back of my head? dont want to sound cheap but yeah

Originally Posted by Freeze

I've been cutting my own for about 7 yrs. decided recently to upgrade.

<--Ditto. I'm reading every page. My fade game isn't all that though
frown.gif

yes.
yes.

about a year and a half

Try fixing 'em, if not it's time to replace them fam'... 
Sorry! 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by M4rioL

haven't been to the barber in years, so excuse the ignorance. can I get a back of the head/ear taper length 5 just by itself? do i have to pay same cost of a normal haircut since I just want the lower back of my head? dont want to sound cheap but yeah

General rule in being a barber, if the clippers touch your head it's a haircut. 
Whatever the price may be from $12-$25... 

Trust me, it's not just take a little off top. 

We're going to line you up if you're getting a taper, clean up your neck hair, use product be it gel, powder, etc... 

Also spend our time blending/fading in the lines. 

Because you getting a 5 by it's self does NOT equal a taper. 

That equal's a even all over/college cut. 

A taper is when the hair gradually get's longer.

IF you get a 5, we have to use different guards to blend in the 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0/baldness. 

Along with leaving no lines/bulks of hair. 

Originally Posted by Retro23J

Originally Posted by Freeze

I've been cutting my own for about 7 yrs. decided recently to upgrade.

<--Ditto. I'm reading every page. My fade game isn't all that though
frown.gif

Fading takes practice... 
You'll get there fam'.

For tapering though you should try the Skip Guard Technique.

Maybe it helps?

I've been cutting my own hair semi regularly for a couple of years now and I still can't line myself up as straight as my barber.

Don't just tell me practice, I've been doing that. What's the technique? I also just replaced the blades on my Andis.

Back
Top Bottom