Automatic Vs. Manual

When driving a manual, when u park do u leave it in neutral or 1st?

I always left mine in neutral, but when I got my oil changed or something the mechanic would always leave it in 1st, iish used to irk the hell outta me. What's the significance?

Every Man should learn how to drive manual. It's a tool in life, and also allows you to understand a car better so you know how to drive one correctly. Having a sports car, I would never get it in Automatic, but for big luxury sedans/SUV/Lazy, I would recommend an automatic.

I don't get what's so hard in learning how to drive stick. Read up on it and learn how the mechanics in your car goes, then get a feel for your car's clutch point and unless you are a moron, you should be good to go. Don't be scared to give it gas, just don't grind down the clutch by holding it in too long. I learned to drive on my sports car. Driven it before, but I got a better grasp on it once I owned the car. Clutch is in tip top shape, nothing broken. Put forth some effort and you should be able to do it. Just don't think it'll be like an automatic and mash the gas. First and reverse are the "toughest" to grasp, but you should be used to it quickly.

As for the question above about leaving the car in gear while parking, it is always a good idea to leave it in first while parking. If your car's e-brake fails on you (actually happens) your car will stall out since it's in gear and stop moving. If you leave it in neutral and your e-brake fails, then your car will be moving. Better to be safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

sporty cars or underpowered cars from the 80's 90's is better in manual (for example a sentra). some sporty sedans may pass too but i wouldn't want a 7 series in manual.

I wouldn't mind having an old E32. Give it a drop, some M-pars, and maybe even FI.
nerd.gif

manual isnt that hard buts in annoying as hell in bay area/LA traffic. Especially when driving on steep inclined streets in SF

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

Im planning a 350z sometime in the next year, and im debating this too. Since its going to be my main everyday traffic car, im leaning towards an auto.
I think almost everyone would advise against this. It's a 350z, it's a sports car, it is an injustice to drive auto
laugh.gif

Seriously though, if I were you, I'd learn how to drive manual (have a friend teach you), and then test drive both and see which you prefer. Even ifit's your everyday car, that car would be so much more enjoyable if it was a manual.
Bought my 350z in 06 Brand new. My previous car was a manual honda civic (type-r swap).  The dealer had several auto 350z's for about 5-7 grand less than my 06. I asked about 5 people i trusted for their advice. Everyone told me to buy a manual. Driving a manual is not that hard. Once you get 1st gear down your good to go.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

When driving a manual, when u park do u leave it in neutral or 1st?

I always left mine in neutral, but when I got my oil changed or something the mechanic would always leave it in 1st, iish used to irk the hell outta me. What's the significance?

It's an additional safety measure in case the handbrake fails. Leaving it in gear will prevent the car from rolling and hitting something. Usually reverse gear when facing downhill or first gear when facing uphill. Like in automatics you put the gear in park as well as setting the handbrake.

to be closer to my car i get everything manual. even my windows.

i dont trust the computers to shift for me and i dont trust it to roll the windows down when i have to holler at a pretty young thing.

Originally Posted by bangtcg

i dont trust the computers to shift for me and i dont trust it to roll the windows down when i have to holler at a pretty young thing.

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

Manual is true driving.

If that's what you're into.
So quote worthy.
pimp.gif

What erks me more than people who claim auto > manual is the ones who justify with step-tronic, shift-tronic, and any other semi-auto.

23mwls1.jpg

I've been driving auto since I started.

But recently picked up on driving manual.

It's pretty stressful.. But once you get the hang of it, your experience while driving definitely changes.

Manual > Automatic.

Originally Posted by MOchi

Manual is true driving.

So quote worthy.
pimp.gif

What erks me more than people who claim auto > manual is the ones who justify with step-tronic, shift-tronic, and any other semi-auto.

23mwls1.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I hate driving Automatic, feels so Boring.

Originally Posted by bangtcg

roll.gif

Originally Posted by gijace

Manual is true driving.

So quote worthy.
pimp.gif

23mwls1.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by servedchilled

Originally Posted by gijace

Manual is true driving.

So quote worthy.
pimp.gif

23mwls1.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Current car is a manual had it for like 5 years..... My next car will probably be automatic.

Back
Top Bottom