Bachelor Pad.

Any good sites or places to get area rugs for reasonable prices? I'm buying a new dining room set and I want an area rug to put under the table preferably an 8x10

I checked overstock but the prices are in the $200 range... Not sure if that's considered good :lol:

Looking at moving to uptown Dallas, deep ellum, or north oak cliff...

Might look at those three story town homes with the garage on the bottom...

Why not do both? Rent a place for as little as you can tolerate, so you can save more for a down payment to buy a place if/when your life changes. Yes, you will not be building equity during this time, but at the same time, you eliminate the potential risk of needing to rent/sell a house and not finding anyone to rent it/pay what you're asking. That's the recipe for taking an L.
this...

Having a home is over rated. :lol:

I don't know why cats are looking at trying to cop homes for any other reason than flip...

Home at 24? Sooooo much can change from 25-30...

this...

Having a home is over rated.
laugh.gif

I don't know why cats are looking at trying to cop homes for any other reason than flip...

You're misinformed. A. Flipping houses is not lucrative unless you continue to do it and own a house. B. With prices and rates as low they are in most of america, why not?

this...

Having a home is over rated. :lol:

I think a house has many things that apartments/condos don't have.

A lot of condos in my area are connected buildings, and I'm currently in an apartment right now, so there's nothing more annoying than people banging on walls and yelling at random times in the day :x :smh:

Plus with a house you get a backyard, but some condos have small yards too though.

For me some of the critical things I'm going to need are a washer and dryer, hose to wash my car, and wood flooring, and preferably an attached garage too

This rules out apartments for me, and just leaves condos and houses, I'll think I try and rent a nice condo if I can find one. But I've also seen houses in my area renting for $900 - 1000 so that's a possibility depending on the condition and neighborhood.

It's also good that I work in real estate so I have pretty good resources :lol: :smokin

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a house at 25 years old, but then again what if you are making really good money, stable job etc. it might actually work out.

Last edited:
I love this thread man, I'm trying to move out next year after graduation so looking in here helps me out A LOT.

You're misinformed. A. Flipping houses is not lucrEVvE nless you continue to do it and own a house. B. With prices and rates as low they are in most of america, why not?
Because 1. Owning a house od WAAAAAAY more than just moving in...

2. Housing market is recovering...

Cop a home... Live there for 4 years... Guarantee with the economy on the uptick, it will rise.

Money is cyclical... So with the advent of technology, normal economy cycles are lasting longer... So the ebbs and flows aren't withing a5 year period... More like 10-12...

You cop a home now and hold it till you're 35,you will have A highly valued home...

That comes with actually BUYING a home... And MAINTAINING a home...

I think a house has many things that apartments/condos don't have.

A lot of condos in my area are connected buildings, and I'm currently in an apartment right now, so there's nothing more annoying than people banging on walls and yelling at random times in the day :x :smh:

Plus with a house you get a backyard, but some condos have small yards too though.

For me some of the critical things I'm going to need are a washer and dryer, hose to wash my car, and wood flooring, and preferably an attached garage too

This rules out apartments for me, and just leaves condos and houses, I'll think I try and rent a nice condo if I can find one. But I've also seen houses in my area renting for $900 - 1000 so that's a possibility depending on the condition and neighborhood.

It's also good that I work in real estate so I have pretty good resources :lol: :smokin

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a house at 25 years old, but then again what if you are making really good money, stable job etc. it might actually work out.
my thing is this...

This ain't 1975 anymore... Married at 24, Move into home at 25, 3 kids by 30, and looking middle aged and bald by the time your 36...

I'm being very general... And NO THIS IS NOT EVERY ONE IN 1975...

But going to the super safe route ain't really what's popping... Cats are taking jobs across the country, moving here, experiencing there...

Like you said, some folks, 25 and a home is what fits them...

I just hate how people think that you've done something super spectacular cuz you have a home. I could go buy a 150k home tomorrow, but why when I know I'm going to moving to another part of Dallas/Texas/the country within 3 years?

Then the whole "its mine" argument just bugs me too. :lol:

Its truth though...

Do the math in a financial calculator... You put points down on a home? Hell, you don't see them benefit unless you have it for 20 to 25 years in some cases....

I seen that in class and was like nozzir... Will not be in the system..

Plus, swag multiply ten fold when you got the downtown skyline view...

The hell I'm gonna do with a 3 bedroom house by myself? :lol:

Its truth though...

Do the math in a financial calculator... You put points down on a home? Hell, you don't see them benefit unless you have it for 20 to 25 years in some cases....

I seen that in class and was like nozzir... Will not be in the system..

Plus, swag multiply ten fold when you got the downtown skyline view...

The hell I'm gonna do with a 3 bedroom house by myself?
laugh.gif
you said no one should be copping a house but to flip it but you wont make any real money if the end game isn't owning a house.

When you sell a house, if you're not leveraging the profits into another home/property, you're gonna be taxed nearly 60%. If you have another house lined up then it's tax free.

Flipping houses isn't like flipping shoes. You can't wait for the next release, you have to be smart and savvy with money, which IMO comes from owning a property.

There's also no pre-payment penalty on most loans so whats to stop you from paying extra? With rates the way there are you'd be dumb not to entertain buying property, especially if you intend to rent it.

I agree with you on 1 point though...I had a 4 bedroom house as a single dude. I took equity out and bought a duplex which I live in now. I rent the house to USC kids for $700 a room...$2800 a month, the mortgage on it is $1200 with escrow. The duplex is $300 and change in interest a month cause I used my HELOC to pay for it. I charge $1200 for the other house in my duplex so I net $4000 a month is rent minus $1500 for mortgages but I send $1500 to the equity so I'm left with 1k in "profit" that I throw in the bank for emergencies and repairs. I live for free pretty much.

My cousin is a private banker and all his clients who have at least 1 mill in the bank drive that real estate is the most important part of their wealth. They want other people to pay for their mortgage and live off the rest.

With foreclosures the way they are, you can make an easy 20-50k in equity just by taking ownership.

you said no one should be copping a house but to flip it but you wont make any real money if the end game isn't owning a house.

When you sell a house, if you're not leveraging the profits into another home/property, you're gonna be taxed nearly 60%. If you have another house lined up then it's tax free.

Flipping houses isn't like flipping shoes. You can't wait for the next release, you have to be smart and savvy with money, which IMO comes from owning a property.

There's also no pre-payment penalty on most loans so whats to stop you from paying extra? With rates the way there are you'd be dumb not to entertain buying property, especially if you intend to rent it.

I agree with you on 1 point though...I had a 4 bedroom house as a single dude. I took equity out and bought a duplex which I live in now. I rent the house to USC kids for $700 a room...$2800 a month, the mortgage on it is $1200 with escrow. The duplex is $300 and change in interest a month cause I used my HELOC to pay for it. I charge $1200 for the other house in my duplex so I net $4000 a month is rent minus $1500 for mortgages but I send $1500 to the equity so I'm left with 1k in "profit" that I throw in the bank for emergencies and repairs. I live for free pretty much.

My cousin is a private banker and all his clients who have at least 1 mill in the bank drive that real estate is the most important part of their wealth. They want other people to pay for their mortgage and live off the rest.

With foreclosures the way they are, you can make an easy 20-50k in equity just by taking ownership.
you're right...

I was thinking more along the lines of flipping as in making it work for you in general... Selling could be involved, as well as renting...

*edap*

Anybody live within walking distance of a very active part of Town?

Like... One block from a ton of restaurants and bars and ****.

Kinda want to bite my tongue, but give us an example? Haha.

Turned 25 earlier this year.
buying a home, marriage , kids, buying a car/cars, career choices, moving to permanent cities, starting a family, divorce, death, saving for retirement , investing, graduation, thats all i can think of 

Me and the wifey are looking to buy a house very soon! We just got pre-qualified for 350k... And that's a lot for the house market in Vegas.

Met up with a handful of realtors so far, can't wait to get this done! (We're both 23 btw)

Also teaming up with this program that helps first time home buyers. Y'all really should take advantage of the house market right now! There are still many programs that help you, and with the rise in the market, you can build equity, and flip!

Last edited:
Me and the wifey are looking to buy a house very soon! We just got pre-qualified for 350k... And that's a lot for the house market in Vegas.

Met up with a handful of realtors so far, can't wait to get this done! (We're both 23 btw)
350k can get you something really nice in vegas area hell 1200 a month can get you a nice 4 bedroom in burbs in vegas. congrats though and let us know the process. im going on 29 and owned a house in louisiana , but was a single man during the time and was reallt too much for myself. i'm trying to figure out if i should just keep renting till i get married or purchse something now while housing is still on the cheap side 

Anybody live within walking distance of a very active part of Town?

Like... One block from a ton of restaurants and bars and ****.

I do. I regularly walk into the downtown area of my city in the spring and summer. they do movies under the stars in the later summer months at the park. bunch of restaurants, shops, boutiques, movie theater, bars, etc.

350k can get you something really nice in vegas area hell 1200 a month can get you a nice 4 bedroom in burbs in vegas. congrats though and let us know the process. im going on 29 and owned a house in louisiana , but was a single man during the time and was reallt too much for myself. i'm trying to figure out if i should just keep renting till i get married or purchse something now while housing is still on the cheap side 

Oh for sure, we actually have a meeting on Tuesday with Ryland Homes Lender. They have brand new homes starting at $280k (2600-3500sqft) with $20k incentive available towards closing cost and/or upgrades.

Right next to a 5 acre park, highschool and freeway. (Great for renting out in the future) Not to mention it's on Las Vegas Blvd. :smokin

buying a home, marriage , kids, buying a car/cars, career choices, moving to permanent cities, starting a family, divorce, death, saving for retirement , investing, graduation, thats all i can think of 

I'm turning 27 this year, and the above sentence could not be more true. Literally everything written there hits you all of a sudden at 25+...its kind of weird...

Back
Top Bottom