Bachelor Pad.

2 BR in Astoria (Queens) for $2200 is the going rate since it's closer to the city. That's normal and nothing crazy. Go further away from the city in Queens and rent will get you under $2000.
sounds like you bought a 1BR co-op for $150k. where is it located? granted your monthly mortgage is cheaper than your friends $2200 monthly rent, you are out of $30K and they aren't. Your friends who are getting married are most likely splitting that rent. When your gf moves in, will she be paying part of your mortgage?

As for hosting parties, that gets old and tiring especially when you have to clean up afterwards.

yes she'll be giving me $ towards mortgage/maintenance and expenses. I purchased a 1 Br co-op in Long Island for $160k.

Last edited:
yes she'll be giving me $ towards mortgage/maintenance and expenses. I purchased a 1 Br co-op in Long Island for $160k.

thats the thing, if she pays directly eith her checks and something happens, then thats where drama and judge judy appears.

So...you want her to live with me and not pay her share? I don't understand where you are coming from

I aint gonna get into your business about that, but theres a reason why 2 bed rooms are worth more than 1. How you wanna figure out your bills or payments is up to you.

But I suggest you understand the worst case scenario in your situation just as a back up plan.

Good luck

Might I ask, when you talk about 1 bedroom, how big is the unit? Layouts and size can make a big difference.

I bought what I could afford. 1 bed, 1 br. I had wanted a 2 bed, but I just couldnt afford it. Itll do for now in my life, and even if I do go steady, there‘s enough space for two.

Massachusetts is so damn expensive 
mean.gif

Looking for a condo with a basement so I can make an improvised home gym.

I aint gonna get into your business about that, but theres a reason why 2 bed rooms are worth more than 1. How you wanna figure out your bills or payments is up to you.

But I suggest you understand the worst case scenario in your situation just as a back up plan.

Good luck

you are answering questions thinking and assuming we're an unhappy couple who will fight and break up. Why are you doing that? Very odd.

Wouldn't logic suggest, that if we are moving in together, that things are very serious with marriage in the discussion and this being the final test of confirmation? Instead you are trying to tear apart a situation for no reason based on flawed assumptions and wild predictions of fits of rage between a couple.

you are answering questions thinking and assuming we're an unhappy couple who will fight and break up. Why are you doing that? Very odd.

Wouldn't logic suggest, that if we are moving in together, that things are very serious with marriage in the discussion and this being the final test of confirmation? Instead you are trying to tear apart a situation for no reason based on flawed assumptions and wild predictions of fits of rage between a couple.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I am just giving my POV. I am only going on with what I can assume. The issue is not renting a place together, the issue, it seems is you being on the fence about real estate. You are not certain whether it is wise to get a bigger place on your grounds. Well logic as you can tell from research shows you that a 2 bedroom will cost more. So if financial implications based on your context indicates so, then why are you hesitating? Obviously it seems, you will need your GF to pitch in.

I‘ve seen too much people in similar situations, whether renting together as a couple, or buying together, married or not.

Now if you both can commit to it, and go bigger then why not? Its a question you both can answer, bot NT. Now if you are asking if your GF should co sign with you or whatever for a mortgage to buy a home,then well yeah. you get the point.

Again, sorry about that. Best of luck.

Last edited:
We are not buying the place together. I'm buying it on my own, she's moving in afterwards, closer to the end of the year. Seems to have been a great deal of confusion on your part

We are not buying the place together. I'm buying it on my own, she's moving in afterwards, closer to the end of the year. Seems to have been a great deal of confusion on your part

I dont think he was speaking ill of your relationship or situation. I think he was giving you something to think about by saying what if things dont go right. when buying you should also always thinkng about the what ifs when purchasing real estate. What if things get hard paying mortgage if you and her do not work, maybe having that extra bedroom for rental space could offset the mortgage. At least that is how I read it. Things happen and always having a contingency plan is the best way to prepare for them. Goodluck either way. Purchasing when done right is always a smart move. :smokin

I dont think he was speaking ill of your relationship or situation. I think he was giving you something to think about by saying what if things dont go right. when buying you should also always thinkng about the what ifs when purchasing real estate. What if things get hard paying mortgage if you and her do not work, maybe having that extra bedroom for rental space could offset the mortgage. At least that is how I read it. Things happen and always having a contingency plan is the best way to prepare for them. Goodluck either way. Purchasing when done right is always a smart move. :smokin

I'm buying the place knowing full well I can pay for EVERYTHING on my own. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. When my girl moves in, it'll simply alleviate the situation and allow me and her to save some money and live more comfortably

I'm buying the place knowing full well I can pay for EVERYTHING on my own. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. When my girl moves in, it'll simply alleviate the situation and allow me and her to save some money and live more comfortably

Yeah I dig it.

some pieces that intrigue me for my living room / bedroom

I really like the rustic, wood look.

The 65 inch Samsung TV is definitely being purchased. I did my research and I'm in love with it

was suppose to close on Tuesday...now it's being moved till next week...some complications with the bank of the seller, very annoying and frustrating.

was suppose to close on Tuesday...now it's being moved till next week...some complications with the bank of the seller, very annoying and frustrating.

Happens all the time. I was supposed to have a closing today. (5k commish) :smokin and my buyers loan still hasnt come back from underwriting. So my fingers are corssed we get it done next friday!!!

Happens all the time. I was supposed to have a closing today. (5k commish) :smokin and my buyers loan still hasnt come back from underwriting. So my fingers are corssed we get it done next friday!!!

Very nice.

I've been licensed for a few weeks but I just barely completed the MLS orientation Monday. I should be able to shadow another agent on his open houses very soon & I've gotten my card out to a few prospects. I'm pretty excited to finally have an opportunity to make some real dough 8)

Very nice.

I've been licensed for a few weeks but I just barely completed the MLS orientation Monday. I should be able to shadow another agent on his open houses very soon & I've gotten my card out to a few prospects. I'm pretty excited to finally have an opportunity to make some real dough 8)

Ive been an agent for 3 years now going to get my brokers license in January on my anniversary. Last year was my best year with 22 houses sold and I will tell you this the way to eat like really eat is learn your mortgage brokers. Who offers what type of loans to whom. Youre always going to meet someone in a credit funk you just have to find out who will approve your prospects. We have a bank out here BB&T that does not have a required credit score for VA loans. While other banks require a median score of 620 I can get people approved with a 540. This has helped keep me in business to now I have a 9-5 and do real estate and still am closing 2-3 a month. Learn your loans and also government programs. Youre going to meet people who say oh i dont have enough saved up to buy a house and then you hit them with the "what if I could tell you the city will give you 10k for closing costs and a down payment would you be interested." their eyes get wide. So I hope I can help and if you have any questions man PM me and I will send you my email and hit me up at anytime I am always down to help fellow agents trying to get that money!

some pieces that intrigue me for my living room / bedroom

I really like the rustic, wood look.

The 65 inch Samsung TV is definitely being purchased. I did my research and I'm in love with it

I own that table. It's clean and easy to put together.

Looking into those Samsung TVs as well.

So I'm getting closer to move in date and I'm starting tot feel serious anxiety. There seems to be sooooo much to do, so much to buy it's overwhelming. More so than that, I just went to a good friend of mine house warming on Saturday. He and his gf who are getting married in 2 months just got an apartment, 2 bedroom in Astoria queens and are paying $2200 a month. When they told me that I was floored cause that's a crazy price to pay for rent in Queens. But a 2 bedroom is nice.

My apt I'm buying is a 1 bedroom, not a big place, but it's going to be mine, and my gf looks like she'll be moving in by the end of the year.

My concern (albeit probably irrational) is that it'll be too small for get togethers of more than 10 people...the 1 bedroom situation makes it for friends to not be able to crash, and moreso, there is no dining room so finding a place for dinners is going to be tricky.

It's always been my goal to move out of mom's house and have a place of my own, but now that it's getting close I'm starting to have serious anxiety about everything.

Speaking from experience, DONOT buy a 1 bedroom apt, you won't be there forever, specially if wifey in the process of moving in, problem is trying to then sell that 1 BR is a ***** as opposed to a 2 BR apt which you can sell easily to a young family.

Back
Top Bottom