Bachelor Pad.

The born and raised Los Angeles mentality is hindering my life.

I flirt with the idea of selling and buying a property in Texas and semi retiring and just let my boy be my job, living off the interest of the profits or getting a part time gig like Uber or lyft to get income to pay for the maintenance of life.

Anyone here make that big of a jump in their lives ?

My cousin and his wife sold their condo in LA (Brentwood) for $1.2 mill (originally purchased for around $600K). They moved to Seattle, figured it wasn't for them and ultimately settled in Austin, TX.

They didn't like the idea of raising their kid in LA for whatever reason.

Wifey and I are having this baby delivered tomorrow. Nothing special, but i like it a lot.

20039016-config_gallery_03_large.jpg
20039016-config_gallery_04_large.jpg

Yeah man we got our living room set from Bob's. Pretty good pricing imo. Ashley had some decent stuff, but their prices :smh:

Yeah man we got our living room set from Bob's. Pretty good pricing imo. Ashley had some decent stuff, but their prices :smh:

Couch and t.v. stand from Bob's. Bed frame, mattress (Ashley tempurpedic), pillows & dresser from Ashley. We were lucky to deal with a great employee and pricing was very reasonable, especially b/c we paid in full upfront. The bed and pillow combo we got :emoji_sweat_smile: .

STARTED COLLECTING HOT TOYS ACTION FIGURES LATELY AND WANTED A GOOD WAY TO DISPLAY MY TWO BIGGEST PIECES, THE DARK KNIGHT BATMOBILE AND THE BACK TO THE FUTURE DELOREAN. FOUND A REALLY NICE DISPLAY COFFEE TABLE ONLINE BUT THE GUY WHO MAKES THEM WANT'S $1600 TO BUILD ONE FOR ME SO I DECIDED TO BUILD IT MYSELF.

CREATED A QUICK CAD SKETCH ON MY LUNCH BREAK AT WORK:
cad.PNG

ORDERED THE ACRYLIC, LED'S, CONTROLLER, AND RECHARGEABLE POWER SUPPLY(NO WIRES BUILD):
order.PNG

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 9.19.58 PM.png

STARTED BY CUTTING SOME 2X4 BASE BEAMS I PICKED UP AT HOME DEPOT TO LENGTH THEN DOING 45 DEGREE ANGLED CUTS ON THE ENDS TO PRODUCE MITERED CORNERS:
IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_7267.JPG

TEST FIT:
IMG_3705.JPG

NEXT UP, WAITING FOR THE ACRYLIC TO SHOW UP SO I CAN ROUTER IN THE TRENCH ON THE BASE THAT IT WILL SIT IN. THEN GLUE THE BASE TOGETHER AND REINFORCE THE JOINTS WITH "L" BRACKETS. FINALLY, I CAN THROW SOME MATTE BLACK PAINT ON THE BASE AND COMPLETE THE LED WIRING. SHOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION FOR THE MAN CAVE/THEATRE ROOM. THIS WILL BE THE FINISHED PRODUCT EXCEPT TWICE THAT SIZE TO ACCOMMODATE BOTH THE BATMOBILE AND DELOREAN:
tumbler.png

WILL UPDATE PROGRESS AS I MOVE ALONG, BUT SHOULD BE A PRETTY SIMPLE BUILD.

BONUS. WOODWORKING IN YEEZYS :lol:
IMG_7631.JPG

Last edited:
The born and raised Los Angeles mentality is hindering my life.

I flirt with the idea of selling and buying a property in Texas and semi retiring and just let my boy be my job, living off the interest of the profits or getting a part time gig like Uber or lyft to get income to pay for the maintenance of life.

Anyone here make that big of a jump in their lives ?

I move every 4 or 5 years. In fact, I love Texas, specifically Houston (lived there 9 years), and what to settle down out there when this gig is over, or if I'm lucky, before I retire from career #1. Grew up in Florida, live in San Diego (2.5 years) currently, and have lived in AL (8 years) and NC (2 years) as well. There going to be some things you're going to need to get used to, the heat and humidity being one, especially since it's pretty mild in Southern California IMO. One thing you're not going to have to adapt to is the cost of living. $300K to $400K house is an awesome house in the Houston suburbs. Hell, $200ish is pretty damn decent, too.

My best advice is to go in August, during the hottest days of the year and spend a few weeks out there and see if you can deal with the weather and see if it's really your speed. I'd stay in the triangle, too. Houston, Dallas, and Austin/San Antonio. Beaches are kinda gross outside of Houston, but there are perks like being able to drive on them in certain areas, and you have the whole damn place to yourself some days. If you don't mind driving, Destin, FL is about 10/11 hoursish, but nicer beaches than you're ever gonna find on the West Coast in terms of water and sand. Long story short, there may be some things you need to get used to, just like every place, but spend some time there before you go all in. Unlike you, I'm not necessarily given a choice on whether I want to leave; it's a requirement for my job.

I move every 4 or 5 years. In fact, I love Texas, specifically Houston (lived there 9 years), and what to settle down out there when this gig is over, or if I'm lucky, before I retire from career #1. Grew up in Florida, live in San Diego (2.5 years) currently, and have lived in AL (8 years) and NC (2 years) as well. There going to be some things you're going to need to get used to, the heat and humidity being one, especially since it's pretty mild in Southern California IMO. One thing you're not going to have to adapt to is the cost of living. $300K to $400K house is an awesome house in the Houston suburbs. Hell, $200ish is pretty damn decent, too.

My best advice is to go in August, during the hottest days of the year and spend a few weeks out there and see if you can deal with the weather and see if it's really your speed. I'd stay in the triangle, too. Houston, Dallas, and Austin/San Antonio. Beaches are kinda gross outside of Houston, but there are perks like being able to drive on them in certain areas, and you have the whole damn place to yourself some days. If you don't mind driving, Destin, FL is about 10/11 hoursish, but nicer beaches than you're ever gonna find on the West Coast in terms of water and sand. Long story short, there may be some things you need to get used to, just like every place, but spend some time there before you go all in. Unlike you, I'm not necessarily given a choice on whether I want to leave; it's a requirement for my job.

Appreciate it.

Wife's from St. Louis and spend a lot of time down there. Been there in the dead of summer and winter and was "ok" cause I knew I was leaving back to my 80 degree weather in Los Angeles.

I've told her I'd move but she's spoiled now and wont move back.

Now that we have a 14 month old, we've talked about moving again. The idea of both of us going part-time to just raise him is enticing.

I just have to fight my own demons cause though we're parentless...our "family" is here. Gotta stop letting losing my friends stop me from retiring at 40.

Appreciate it.

Wife's from St. Louis and spend a lot of time down there. Been there in the dead of summer and winter and was "ok" cause I knew I was leaving back to my 80 degree weather in Los Angeles.

I've told her I'd move but she's spoiled now and wont move back.

Now that we have a 14 month old, we've talked about moving again. The idea of both of us going part-time to just raise him is enticing.

I just have to fight my own demons cause though we're parentless...our "family" is here. Gotta stop letting losing my friends stop me from retiring at 40.

I just turned 40, too. You'll be fine and you'll make all new friends as well. Besides, people are typically a lot more friendly in "South" (with the exception of the racists in small towns like Vidor, TX lol), plus you're only a flight away from visiting L.A.. Which, to be completely honest, is pretty damn cheap, relatively speaking. If you're a little more liberal, then Austin will probably be more your speed. And even though Texas is a Red State, most metro areas are more Blue leaning.

In general, I quit saying thank you or ask how a stranger is doing since I moved to SD. It actually drives up the wall how little people seem to bother greeting one another, so I figured I wasn't going out of my way to greet anyone either if it wasn't being reciprocated. Complete culture shock in that regard for me. I know they're not trying to be rude, because they act the same way towards everyone. Don't get me wrong, there are some great things out here, particularly the weather, but all-in-all, it's not enough for me to ever call this place home. Conversely, there are others that would feel the same way out Texas or the South.

In any case, if you have an specific questions about Houston, feel free to PM. There are others in this thread that live in TX as well. I know at least one other in Houston and another that has ties to Dallas in here, along with a plethora of others scattered throughout the site. You have a ton to gain and not a lot to lose IMO. Maybe even rent your home out till you're confident TX is for you on a permanent bases? Good luck, and hopefully you take a leap of faith.

alexa or google home?

If you have Google devices like android, chromecast, and the thier services like YouTube and Google play music...the Google home really does its job with deep level cross intergration with all the devices and services I mention.

Amazon echo gets the job done but you like to do online shopping and wanna order items on the fly it does it well.

I have the Google home setup we'll satisfied with it.

If you have Google devices like android, chromecast, and the thier services like YouTube and Google play music...the Google home really does its job with deep level cross intergration with all the devices and services I mention.

Amazon echo gets the job done but you like to do online shopping and wanna order items on the fly it does it well.

I have the Google home setup we'll satisfied with it.
how is the speaker?

Back
Top Bottom