Bachelor Pad.

My problem is, I absolutely hate 95% of the carpet I see in houses. It just doesn't look good to me. Right now I'm staying in a condo that has very plush carpet which looks decent but it still doesn't do it for me. Also, getting the same color carpet throughout limits your room options unless you go with a boring, mute carpet.

I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do.

It's a tough call.  I'll be honest, I don't really like or dislike the carpet in my house, it's just there.  I love the hardwood though.  Here's a quick pic I just took to show you...plain off white speckled carpet, nothing fancy.  Problem is you can easily drop a few grand on some real nice carpet, and then you may feel bad if you ever ruin it haha.  I don't really care about my carpet.  

Hardwoods everywhere except for where there is a water source or could be water: kitchens, bathrooms, mudrooms/laundrys. Carpeting in bedrooms is a matter of preference, I can go for it in a finished basement/family room too.

Thanks for the pictures and opinions. I am leaning towards wood throughout the first floor save for the kitchen and wood upstairs in the 3 bedrooms and hallway with tile in the bathrooms. The house isn't very big as far as square footage is concerned so I have the ability to invest in nice flooring options without killing my pockets.

I am completely wide open right now because like i said the entire house needs to be upgraded. I am excited at the opportunity but I'm worried i have too much on my plate. And the biggest problem is I'm so damn picky about everything that it will take forever for me to decide.

The way Im tackling the whole project is looking at pictures of rooms i like and trying to replicate the look while adding my own personal touches. Ill definitely post before and afters for everyone to critique. Wait until you see the amount of wallpaper that i have to remove.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Also, someone mentioned in another thread something about being able to rollover money from your 401k into a down payment without penalty.  
Its not true....well I should say, it takes special circumstances. Not just anyone can do it. I tried it, and it wasnt allowed. It has to be more of a hardship case is my understanding

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by dlsilva21

My spot... lived here about 7 months. I'll take pics of the kitchen and bedroom in a bit.
dsc0313o.jpg

Nice place but this living room desperately needs some rugs, not feeling those floors.

Yeah, I wanted to put one here in the living room and get a new coffee table but I haven't ever seen a rug that I felt went well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pictures of my kitchen. I really need to get some pics of my bedroom but it's a mess in there because I can't get rid of my old sleighbed. I got a newer contemporary one because the sleighbed just didn't flow. Any suggestions are welcome.

41840482.jpg

nt2n.jpg

Any A/V heads in here?

My theater room. Approx. 25 ft x 12 ft.

aue1iq.jpg

Got 2 quotes, but not really sure which one to go with...
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

been in my new place less than 6 months....just moved everything around in the den....I did have the TV in the corner and the couch across from it, decided to move the tv flush to the straight wall. I know I need something on the walls and probably something else beside the tv or something. Ill take opinions!

Page 57 was awesome to read through, and see ChewToy insta-update his space on the fly. Nice job adding a rug, and I personally like the side-by-side chairs, because you'll move them around once people are over, and they're out of the way otherwise. I have some side-by-side chairs at my place and it's worked out pretty well.

Outstanding stuff by everyone else. A couple of places feel perhaps a bit dated to me, but of course, it all comes down to preference too.

4wrestling -- Pulling for you to find a sofa! Have you ever checked out Modani? I found them online, and they have a showroom in NYC apparently. (Modani.com) They often have solid sales on a lot of their sofas and it could be something to keep an eye on, as they have a nice clean modern style. The Manhattan Sofa in white leather is pretty nice, and for the two pieces it'd run you around $1500 +$100 for the 4 additional back cushions.

http://www.modani.com/sto...-manhattan-sofa-512.html

Also, how dead set are you on finding a sofa, and not a sectional? I think a sectional would work well in your space and the comfort of that corner is tough to top.

I'm personally pretty picky about buying things online like a couch, without having sat on it, but you seem to be open to buying stuff online so far.

SNKR-INDSTRY - Thanks for the link. I've seen their site before. I'm really set on a just a regular sofa. My vision is a sofa with two chairs for my front room. The reason I'm being so particular is because a) no one really spends any time in the front room, which leads to b) I'm not in a rush to furnish it so I when I do I want it to be exactly what I want.

If I was planning to spend time in the front room with a TV and whatever else, I would definitely go for the sectional. But I already have a sectional in my back room, so I want the rooms to be different. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want my front room to be a formal living room ... it looks nice but no one actually uses it.

There are pictures of my condo here:
http://niketalk.yuku.com/...529/Bachelor-Pad?page=30

That's from months ago, so I've made some updates, but you get the idea.

4Wrestling, where did you get that sectional you have in your living room, the rug too? Or recommend me a similar one for like 1200 or less, doesn't have to even be that big, need to seat about 4. You get those from Overstock too? Somewhere I remember you mentioning you are addicted to ordering from there. I am too, never joined Club O, I just use like Mrrebaes for cashback, ebillme for 20% off the price of giftcards and buy 10%, 20% off coupons off eBay.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

4Wrestling, where did you get that sectional you have in your living room, the rug too? Or recommend me a similar one for like 1200 or less, doesn't have to even be that big, need to seat about 4. You get those from Overstock too? Somewhere I remember you mentioning you are addicted to ordering from there. I am too, never joined Club O, I just use like Mrrebaes for cashback, ebillme for 20% off the price of giftcards and buy 10%, 20% off coupons off eBay.

The sectional is from West Elm.  Unfortunately, it was pretty expensive.  You'll see on the site, but it's made of 3 sofas, 1 ottoman, and 1 corner cushion.
http://www.westelm.com/products/tillary-modular-seating-f554/?pkey=csofas-sectionals-couch

I got the rug off buy.com.  It was available on a bunch of sites, but buy.com was the cheapest.  I know someone asked me about it earlier in this thread, if you go back through, you should be able to find the link.

^How is the quality of West Elm? I'm considering a couch from them but have seen some horrid reviews, although mostly with customer service. Thanks in advance.

I think the quality's very good. I've had the sectional over a year now, and it still almost feels like new.

And as for customer service, once I received it home, I found one of the couches had a tear in it. They replaced it free of charge, no questions asked.

^Couch is comfortable as well? Sorry to ask so many questions, there are no West Elm stores near me and the couch seems like a great deal. Thanks again.

It's very comfortable, but I do have to warn you about the back cushions. They are not connected to the sofa itself, so this is a good/bad thing. It's good because it allows you to arrange them any way you like. It's also good because when someone stays over, you can just take them off and it makes a perfect bed. It's bad though because they do tend to shift and sometimes even slide off the back of the sofa. They have a grippy surface on the bottoms, but they still do move.

^ I was after that exact grey couch, but the fact that the back cushions aren't affixed was a dealbreaker for me. Not sure how a modular set-up like that just leaves them relatively loose.

Originally Posted by SNKR INDSTRY JOSHBASKIN

^ I was after that exact grey couch, but the fact that the back cushions aren't affixed was a dealbreaker for me. Not sure how a modular set-up like that just leaves them relatively loose.

Flipping cushions over after heavy use> affixed.
Craigslist West Elm Couches...they seem to have a few pop up a week...at least here in L.A.

^I am actually looking at a different piece, a more traditional couch (so to speak). The back doesn't look like it can move on mine
laugh.gif
This is on sale from $800 down to $550, total is about $720 with delivery. Still debating whether or not to pull the trigger, even though a couch has been #1 on my list for a good 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom