Bad customer service because your young and a minorty Unappreciation

Originally Posted by OkieDoqui

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Well as a guy working on Comm. I usually work up a census of the type of people that buy big purchases. Call it profiling but Im usually right.
Basically, If I have a dude that wants me to pricecheck a stack of clearance video games as opposed to a family who is lookin for a tv for their living room and needs the whole shabang, you can tell who im gonna help first.
The one who goes to you first right.
indifferent.gif
If I have somebody indecisive nagging me on some bs, I really don't care, I dont make enough for me to cater to everyone at the same time, I got no problems helping whoever when my store isnt busy and rushed, but when I open my deparment and I'm the only one there I have to make those decisions about who I'm going to help. Spending 20 minutes on a return while a customer is ready to buy a tv is not making me any money. I got no problem helping people when its not crazy busy though, Yesterday a dude came back to return a TomTom gps because he said it didnt have text to speech, i told him to leave it and i'd see if I could get it to work (I couldn't fix it in the store because it needed open sky to connect to the satelite, I took it out on my lunch and got it to work and he picked it up 20 minutes later. Something I sure as hell didn't have to do, the sale only payed me $2.
I completely understand you in that situation, I like helping customers out, but if the customer is being disrespectful, I don't give a damnwhat race they are, I'm not going to work to my best ability for someone that won't appreciate it.

I can atest to this! Im young and a minority, and i sometimes recieve horrible service while everybody else is geting paid attention n what not...i got myregular spots where they know me...If i recieve good service from a random place, i tip well in hopes of breaking the stereotype.

not restaurant related, but when i went to holt renfrew i got no love. old heads just walking by me.
stereotyping me cause i'm young and in a high-end retail store. i'm pretty sure i get paid more that 90% of their staff.
i can't stop going there cause its the only place in toronto that offers that much variety in high-end clothes.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Well as a guy working on Comm. I usually work up a census of the type of people that buy big purchases. Call it profiling but Im usually right.
Basically, If I have a dude that wants me to pricecheck a stack of clearance video games as opposed to a family who is lookin for a tv for their living room and needs the whole shabang, you can tell who im gonna help first.
The one who goes to you first right.
indifferent.gif
If I have somebody indecisive nagging me on some bs, I really don't care, I dont make enough for me to cater to everyone at the same time, I got no problems helping whoever when my store isnt busy and rushed, but when I open my deparment and I'm the only one there I have to make those decisions about who I'm going to help. Spending 20 minutes on a return while a customer is ready to buy a tv is not making me any money. I got no problem helping people when its not crazy busy though, Yesterday a dude came back to return a TomTom gps because he said it didnt have text to speech, i told him to leave it and i'd see if I could get it to work (I couldn't fix it in the store because it needed open sky to connect to the satelite, I took it out on my lunch and got it to work and he picked it up 20 minutes later. Something I sure as hell didn't have to do, the sale only payed me $2.
I completely understand you in that situation, I like helping customers out, but if the customer is being disrespectful, I don't give a damn what race they are, I'm not going to work to my best ability for someone that won't appreciate it.
Man, don't get me started. Working at Sears Electronics has made me very standoffish towards a certain race that tends to be cheap. Like Isaid before call it profiling but 9 times outta 10, I'm being asked for my own discount, secret coupons that don't exist, random discounts that areillegal. I had a dude try to stand in front of the camera so I could put in a discount for him
eek.gif
eek.gif
(GTFOOHWTBS). Like Sunday, I was supposed to leave at 5:15... at 5:10 I was approached by this man that had me price-match 10 TVs and gave me the impression that he was buying at least one. Dude was mad indecisive too. Lets just say I left at 6:30with no extra money in my pocket
smh.gif
Black Friday another dude bought $2500 in TVs/Hometheater and GPSs. Dude came back the NEXT day and returned not one or twothings but EVERYTHING!
ohwell.gif

(This is all by the same race) I mean, as a black guy I was taught never to generalize or profile someone's race but after working in retail, you justsimply can't help but develop certain stigmas about certain types of people. Its that simple.

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

I worked at TGIFridays for a little under a year also and black people almost NEVER tip... i worked my +!$ of this one time for 19 people having a birthday party that was 4-5 hours long and got $5. Sounds racist but only 10% of black folks tip, so by the time I left, I was only working hard for white people.

DATS CRAZY......19 PEOPLE FIVE DOLLARS?
I would've had to say something. That's ridiculous. I'm black and I notice it all the time. You walk into a restaurant and the peopleworking there automatically think you won't tip just because you are black. It's aggravating to see your waitress or waiter completely ignoring yourtable while he/she checks on the other tables every 4 or 5 minutes. I tip for good service but if you ignore me because you THINK I won't tip thenyou're only messing over yourself. Alot of times, I find myself tipping well even if the service was just average just so I can go against the stereotype.I just find it hilarious that some of them expect a tip even though they gave piss-poor service.

What if the place they work at pays them according to how good of a worker they are. I tip all the time i go out, but i rather the company pay the expenses. Ima big saver so the tip of $5 on a $10 meal could go to my saving account.

They pretty much made it okay for people to pay the wages of their employees. I know everyone has that back up saying "Its kind of a way for the worker towork hard for their money in providing godly like service.

Nobody tips a customer service rep for doing a good job, the place of work does that. So if they(the company) paid great wages to their waiters then they wouldalways provide good service. Then there would be no problem when its comes to (yea i know this person is not going to leave a good tip "look at em.")Therefore there will be no stereotyping according to the person appearance.

I have to conform to the tip rule, because everyone wants to give the restaurants the okie doke to make us pay their workers.

So here is the dilemma

If you are given poor service because of your race, you can not tip but then enforce the stereotype that your race doesn't tip or you can prove them wrongand tip well for poor service. It's kind of a lose-lose situation

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

What if the place they work at pays them according to how good of a worker they are. I tip all the time i go out, but i rather the company pay the expenses. Im a big saver so the tip of $5 on a $10 meal could go to my saving account.

They pretty much made it okay for people to pay the wages of their employees. I know everyone has that back up saying "Its kind of a way for the worker to work hard for their money in providing godly like service.

Nobody tips a customer service rep for doing a good job, the place of work does that. So if they(the company) paid great wages to their waiters then they would always provide good service. Then there would be no problem when its comes to (yea i know this person is not going to leave a good tip "look at em.") Therefore there will be no stereotyping according to the person appearance.

I have to conform to the tip rule, because everyone wants to give the restaurants the okie doke to make us pay their workers.
Would you rather have meal prices rise? Because that's what would happen if restaurants paid their employees a normal wage.

A small increase in price wouldnt be bad, if i did want them to pay their employees. But who am i to say i rarely eat at restaurants.

Originally Posted by MvP07

they are not forced to TIP at all, it is just a common courtesy.

Your job is super simple, you take order and bring the plates accordingly.
It sounds easy. Having four tables at once, getting refills, taking food back that the cooks didn't cook correctly, clearing plates off ofthe table, being yelled at by customers because their steak is undercooked, bringing out appetizers, salads, soups, entrees, desserts. It's constantmoving back and forth between the dining room and the kitchen, trying to remember what you need to get and check on. And doing all of that without showing anystress to your tables. Yeah, super simple.

Back to the thread topic. I'm a busser at Outback and even the black servers complain when they get sat with a black party. That's just what I'veobserved.

A lot of young people don't tip well either, mostly because they don't have much money to begin with. But it's pretty bad if you have a $60 checkfor four people and leave a $2 tip, especially when two of the people work at Outback.

Bottom line is, it's bad to have a preconceived notion about a person because of age, race, gender, etc., but previous customers' actions are whatcause these notions.

I get this a lot unfortunately, and the only solution is to complain. Whether it be in the store/restaurant or you call in later..... always complain...ask tospeak to a manager and let them know how you feel.

This aint the streets so leave all that stop snitching crap at home....

Originally Posted by BG BabyGlock26

I get this a lot unfortunately, and the only solution is to complain. Whether it be in the store/restaurant or you call in later..... always complain...ask to speak to a manager and let them know how you feel.

Talking to managers don't work unless the employee commits a truely fireable offense. They like their coworkers more than they like you son..

Originally Posted by UrbenYouth

So here is the dilemma

If you are given poor service because of your race, you can not tip but then enforce the stereotype that your race doesn't tip or you can prove them wrong and tip well for poor service. It's kind of a lose-lose situation

so true
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

Originally Posted by BG BabyGlock26

I get this a lot unfortunately, and the only solution is to complain. Whether it be in the store/restaurant or you call in later..... always complain...ask to speak to a manager and let them know how you feel.

Talking to managers don't work unless the employee commits a truely fireable offense. They like their coworkers more than they like you son..
Whatever.....like i said i have to do it pretty often and it works, i may not see the results between manager and associate as it's not reallymy business, if i get an apology or some sign of goodwill I'm happy and i might come back and give that business another try. I have worked at restaurantsand other retail positions before and when a complaint came in managers took there time to rectify the situation be it with a gift card or a free meal. If ifeel like the manager isn't being too receptive ill just chalk up the L...but if feel like more could be done ill file a complaint with the Better BusinessBureau and leave it at that.

I don't take kindly to being disrespected it's either make a complaint or wait till whomever gets off for some headbussin. i like the former...

Complain aint no point in siting there meek as a mouse being disrespected do something....

The only place I get bad customer service is the last place I would expect bad customer service and that's at my bank and yes I do think it's becauseI'm young and black

yeah i hate this. I went to look for an apartment and no one wanted to help me.

i think the "crapple"bee's by me has the worst customer service. Me and the fam(we're black) get there and they give us the what youcan't order stuff as soon as we hit the door, were not even seated yet. So we go ,whatever, crapplebee's has the 1/2 price apps after 10 p.m. andwe're starving. So the place isn't that crowded, we're waiting for the waiter/watress to take our order, she takes our order with an atitude, shemessed up our order's and drinks, plus she was flirting with some of the other customers she had so she totally ingnored us the whole night. So we ask forthe manager. He comes to us and explains the situation to us, but dude was trying to be our friend on some "hey you guys like, lil wezzy" "youguys got a myspace"? "Do you got a myspace"? Yo, dude! Don't be my friend, be my manager and handle your employee's better. Anywayour order was free, and homegirl got no tip. I just customer service in general has just gone down the hill.

Originally Posted by faulkit28

i think the "crapple"bee's by me has the worst customer service. Me and the fam(we're black) get there and they give us the what you can't order stuff as soon as we hit the door, were not even seated yet. So we go ,whatever, crapplebee's has the 1/2 price apps after 10 p.m. and we're starving. So the place isn't that crowded, we're waiting for the waiter/watress to take our order, she takes our order with an atitude, she messed up our order's and drinks, plus she was flirting with some of the other customers she had so she totally ingnored us the whole night. So we ask for the manager. He comes to us and explains the situation to us, but dude was trying to be our friend on some "hey you guys like, lil wezzy" "you guys got a myspace"? "Do you got a myspace"? Yo, dude! Don't be my friend, be my manager and handle your employee's better. Anyway our order was free, and homegirl got no tip. I just customer service in general has just gone down the hill.
eek.gif

sick.gif

smh.gif
This whole crappy customer service problem has alot to do with the people who are serving you..alot of them are from OUR generation..the iGeneration whichof course is made up of alot of loser/slacker dudes and good for nothing spoiled girls. Young people tend to be more impatient as employees from what I see.

I've also experienced this, but I go ahead and tip well, especially places where I am likely to return.

It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the stereotype is that young minorities don't tip well. This causes the server to not provide adequateservice. Thereafter, the young minority customer will acknowledge the bad service by leaving a crap tip. The server then doesn't know for sure if the craptip was due to the stereotype or to the bad service they provided. More often than not, they will believe that it was due to the stereotype.

Anyways, I believe in karma and I know that serving is a tough job. So, I work against this self-fulfilling prophecy and always leave a good tip. Latino, ifthat matters.

To those that work in restaurants: is there one particular race that orders hot water to put their utensils in your restaurant?

i usually kill em with kindness...but is that really the route i should be choosing? for instance i cant tell you how many times ive been walked past time ntime again when chillen at a bar trying to get sum drinks on my tab. after about a 100tab with food i tipped this chick 30bux, did i have to? absolutely not.but i did and i dont regret it. the next time i went to that same bar i got GREAT treatment. drinks handed to me b4 my current one was even 1/4 finished.

Back
Top Bottom