Bankruptcy lawyer: Vick wants to rejoin NFL after prison

dacomeup

Supporter
Bankruptcy lawyer: Vick wants to rejoin NFL after prison

Story Highlights
The attorneys wrote that Vick "has every reason to believe" he will be reinstated
Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison after his dogfighting arrest

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- Imprisoned NFL quarterback Michael Vick expects to return to pro football, according to his bankruptcy attorneys who laid out a plan to pay creditors based in part on his anticipated earnings.

"The Debtor has every reason to believe that upon his release, he will be reinstated into the NFL, resume his career and be able to earn a substantial living," Vick's attorneys wrote in a disclosure statement filed before a hearing Thursday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Norfolk.

The former Atlanta Falcons star is serving a 23-month sentence in a federal penitentiary for bankrolling a dogfighting ring in rural Virginia and is scheduled to be released on July 20.

Once the NFL's highest-paid player, Vick has assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million, according to the court filing in which attorneys wrote in extraordinary detail about Vick's dizzying financial mess -- listing a fleet of vehicles, properties, businesses and the extended family he supported.

A Vick attorney said a committee representing all his debtors has proposed a plan to pay off his debt. A judge scheduled a hearing for mid-December on the appointment of a trustee, which Vick's attorneys oppose.

"The committee attorney acknowledged that there's been a lot of progress, so we're hopeful," Peter R. Ginsberg told The Associated Press.

Vick still faces two state felony counts -- dogfighting and animal cruelty. They carry maximum prison terms of 10 years, but under a plea deal, Vick would serve a suspended sentence and a year of probation.

He is scheduled to appear in Surry County Circuit Court on Nov. 25.

Paul K. Campsen, another Vick attorney in the bankruptcy proceeding, said he had not had any contact with the NFL, nor had Vick. While Vick still has a contract with the Falcons, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would have the final say on his return, which he is counting on after he is released.

"That's the hope," Campsen said in an interview. "I think efforts will be made once we get past this."

The attorneys laid out a payment plan to Vick's creditors that includes expected NFL earnings and possible signing bonuses.

Campsen said the reorganization plan involves those expected payments and liquidation of his larger assets.

The assets include four homes in Virginia and Georgia valued at a total of $6 million; an interest in two farms; and an interest inmore than 20 businesses, from a horse farm to liquor stores.

Ginsberg said if the sides can't agree in December, another hearing will be held in January. Vick was ordered to attend.

The NFL has been different without this guy. I hope he comes back and doesn't have to sit out an additional year. If he is even a shell of his old selfhe'll be able to keep me as one of his fans. He took so much hate as a QB when he was in the league but the fact of the matter is that he wins games.

I hope for his sake that he is able to make a decent comeback and have some success as a player. I can see a team like the Lions, Bucs, or Raiders picking himup. I'd actually like to see him go to Minnesota. Imagine him and AP on the same field
eek.gif

I mean if Leonard Little is still in the league, I don't see why we can't room for Vick in the league

I don't think he makes it back to the league as a QB. I don't even know if he makes it back to the league period. You think Goodell has even given thisa thought? He'll think about it when the time comes.

Wait...Vick wants to rejoin the NFL after prison? SHOCKING!!!!!
laugh.gif

He'll eventually get in as long as he stays straight. I see some team bringing him in and still tryin him at QB, there still are so many awful QBsituations in the league and always will be. For how much i want to say i see Vick coming back and being some wingback or something I stop and think of certainteams where if you dropped Mike Vick as a QB on them yesterday he immediately is an upgrade to their offense.

Doubt he'll come back and be a good QB. But wish him the best of luck def. I def think he deserved the time he got. But people do deserve a second chance.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

I hope for his sake that he is able to make a decent comeback and have some success as a player. I can see a team like the Lions, Bucs, or Raiders picking him up. I'd actually like to see him go to Minnesota. Imagine him and AP on the same field
eek.gif

It would be
eek.gif
eek.gif
...but there's many reasons that won't happen.

After the love boat incident on Lake Minnetonka, our front office will not want our organization to be known as one that takes chances on guys that have ahistory of trouble.Also, by that time, I envision us having a stop-gap QB (D.Anderson, Garcia, Rosenfels, etc.) + also draft a young QB so I really think therewould be no need for Vick.
CertifiedFlyBoi23 wrote:
what do you guys mean by the NFL will blackball him??

They'll find some way to not let him play in the league again even if it's clear he's a changed man

Originally Posted by JPZx

I hope for his sake that he is able to make a decent comeback and have some success as a player. I can see a team like the Lions, Bucs, or Raiders picking him up. I'd actually like to see him go to Minnesota. Imagine him and AP on the same field
eek.gif

It would be
eek.gif
eek.gif

After the love boat incident on Lake Minnetonka, our front office will not want our organization to be known as one that takes chances on guys that have a history of trouble.Also, by that time, I envision us having a stop-gap QB (D.Anderson, Garcia, Rosenfels, etc.) + also draft a young QB so I really think there would be no need for Vick.
Wait you guys are giving up on Jackson?

And I wonder if he will allow Vick back right away. I know he wrote some letters to Goodell. And hasn't he been in some sort of program for a while?

I just hope he comes back

Do we really want to live thru the hype that will come with his return?
sick.gif

Good lord, ESPN will soil themselves with his first game.

I hope MV7 returns, and reclaims what he had. I hope he comes back and wins a Superbowl.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Do we really want to live thru the hype that will come with his return?
sick.gif

Good lord, ESPN will soil themselves with his first game.

No joke, I can only imagine the media fallout if this happens. Just for this sake, I hope Vick doesn't come back.

He might step out of prison five times more jacked than he was. Nothing else to do but lift weights..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheZephyr777

Originally Posted by JPZx

eek.gif

It would be
eek.gif
eek.gif

After the love boat incident on Lake Minnetonka, our front office will not want our organization to be known as one that takes chances on guys that have a history of trouble.Also, by that time, I envision us having a stop-gap QB (D.Anderson, Garcia, Rosenfels, etc.) + also draft a young QB so I really think there would be no need for Vick.
Wait you guys are giving up on Jackson?

And I wonder if he will allow Vick back right away. I know he wrote some letters to Goodell. And hasn't he been in some sort of program for a while?

I just hope he comes back
Besides writing letters to Goodell, I know Vick has spoken with PETA's president and he said Vick seemed "contrite." He alsomentioned something about Vick being an example or role model for today's youth or something to that effect.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

OP what do you mean the NFL has been different without him?

Mike Vick was the most exciting player in the league. He changed the way that the QB position was looked at, and analysts began to make all of thesestipulations on what constitutes a QB. Some of the plays that Vick made were just
eek.gif
. You don't think the league is different without Vick? I knowI'd much rather see a NFL with Mike Vick than without him.

Back
Top Bottom