Bape NY closing down.... Vol. This ain't 2004 no more....

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Originally Posted by 0cks

Originally Posted by RetroSan

...communist 
eyes.gif

JK, but that kind of depressed the &%!@ outta me
I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif
I disagree. What if we were having this discussion in the '80s and I told you in 2011, we'd all be familiarized and talking about a Japanese brand that became one of the "coolest" in the States?  You'd say "No way, I don't foresee Americans wearing Japanese clothes" right?  What if I told you No Doubt would rise in popularity off of Harajuku themes, or Hollywood would start mimicking famous Korean cinema like Old Boy?  
Chinese culture is already infiltrating. CNN has been talking heavily about Ai Wei Wei over the past month, a very famous Chinese dissident artist.  Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.
Asian culture influencing American/European culture with repackaged European ideas/themes? Yeah sure I can see that continuing... but dominating with completely original Asian cultural media, fashion etc.? I doubt it... Asians aren't arrogant enough like Europeans to make that happen...
Obviously a few westerners embrace Asian culture to the fullest I just don't think the powers that be will let that become the majority...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i think its da red flag.....sure you can lead and show growth in emerging markets, but if you're run out da US, its cuz you couldn't compete.
this guy
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

i think its da red flag.....sure you can lead and show growth in emerging markets, but if you're run out da US, its cuz you couldn't compete.
this guy
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

This is the one item from bape i've ever purchased.  it was very strange walking into the soho location.  and it was the last pair they had too.    

theyre so loud but i still wear them w/ just raw denim and a gret t or white v-neck.

ahh the days of my college youth

i never got into the whole movement but much respect either way.  if i could ony find those kanye bapestas and then i'll be a happ y camper.
pimp.gif

101065_1_p.jpg

This is the one item from bape i've ever purchased.  it was very strange walking into the soho location.  and it was the last pair they had too.    

theyre so loud but i still wear them w/ just raw denim and a gret t or white v-neck.

ahh the days of my college youth

i never got into the whole movement but much respect either way.  if i could ony find those kanye bapestas and then i'll be a happ y camper.
pimp.gif

101065_1_p.jpg

da cycle of brands is once u played out in da states, you go overseas to re-invent yourself.
Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that.  It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape.
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole? Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).
son, NY is da biggest city in da US...if they could've thrive here with that 1 store roping in that huge demographic of impressionable hypebeasts who are lookin for that edge

every week shoppin in soho then it was a wrap for em....once bape was done in NY i knew everyone else would follow eventually.

laugh.gif
@ von dutch not being washed up....once your clothes hit places like marshalls & TJ maxx in mass (like ed hardy) its pretty hard to convince cats otherwise its a wrap.

lets put it like this, once they have commercials like this....

its BEEEEEN over
laugh.gif

da cycle of brands is once u played out in da states, you go overseas to re-invent yourself.
Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that.  It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape.
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole? Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).
son, NY is da biggest city in da US...if they could've thrive here with that 1 store roping in that huge demographic of impressionable hypebeasts who are lookin for that edge

every week shoppin in soho then it was a wrap for em....once bape was done in NY i knew everyone else would follow eventually.

laugh.gif
@ von dutch not being washed up....once your clothes hit places like marshalls & TJ maxx in mass (like ed hardy) its pretty hard to convince cats otherwise its a wrap.

its BEEEEEN over
laugh.gif

I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif
I disagree. What if we were having this discussion in the '80s and I told you in 2011, we'd all be familiarized and talking about a Japanese brand that became one of the "coolest" in the States?  You'd say "No way, I don't foresee Americans wearing Japanese clothes" right?  What if I told you No Doubt would rise in popularity off of Harajuku themes, or Hollywood would start mimicking famous Korean cinema like Old Boy?  
Chinese culture is already infiltrating. CNN has been talking heavily about Ai Wei Wei over the past month, a very famous Chinese dissident artist.  Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.
Asian culture influencing American/European culture with repackaged European ideas/themes? Yeah sure I can see that continuing... but dominating with completely original Asian cultural media, fashion etc.? I doubt it... Asians aren't arrogant enough like Europeans to make that happen...
Obviously a few westerners embrace Asian culture to the fullest I just don't think the powers that be will let that become the majority...
Really, though, what is "completely original Asian culture?"
I think the part that's confusing the naysayers is that they think I'm saying everyone's gonna be eating Asian food, watching movies in Chinese, dressing in silk robes, and growing Fu Manchus.  And if that's what you're thinking, then I think that's ignorant.

Completely original Asian culture these days - like ALL culture worldwide - is a hodgepodge of everything.  The East is heavily influenced by the West - to the point where most Americans can travel around Asia and not feel as severe as a culture shock as decades past (Meaning they can probably find a McDonald's or KFC to eat at if they wanted to).

In the future, the West will be more and more influenced by the East. It's just a natural result of the tipping of the economy, resources, and sheer population numbers.

To the guy in New Orleans who said he doubts his community will be influenced by Asian culture.. apparently he never listened to Wu-Tang (New York kids inspired by Chinese film), he never used most major appliances that were technologically advanced by Japanese standards (smaller, faster, cuter design), and what about Bape?  Anyone in this thread who wore Bape was wearing a JAPANESE brand.  Turns out Japanese clothing is not just a kimono and chopsticks in the hair.  In the '90s, Nigo would sit outside of New York schoolyards and observe our hip-hop/urban fashion. He walked our tradeshows and was introduced to guys like Erik Brunetti from FUCT and stole his Planet of the Apes iconography.  Then he went back to Japan, scaled the t-shirts down to fit Japanese people, concentrated on quality, packaging, and limited numbers (Japanese philosophy), and came up with an original brand that he sold right back to the Americans who he borrowed from in the first place.

Same thing with menswear trends these past few years that have gone into the "trad," Americana aesthetic.  That style has been popular in Japan for years. These were the guys who came to the States, basically stole and mimicked our vintage fashions by scouring flea markets and thrift shops. They went back to Japan, made it cool to dress like an old middle-American farmer from the 40s, and then the West took it back again.  And so on.

These are all examples of how the USA has been heavily influenced by Asian culture (which was inspired by American culture, which was inspired by European, and so on).  And it will continue to happen even moreso now.

nerd.gif
Really, though, what is "completely original Asian culture?"
I think the part that's confusing the naysayers is that they think I'm saying everyone's gonna be eating Asian food, watching movies in Chinese, dressing in silk robes, and growing Fu Manchus.  And if that's what you're thinking, then I think that's ignorant.

Completely original Asian culture these days - like ALL culture worldwide - is a hodgepodge of everything.  The East is heavily influenced by the West - to the point where most Americans can travel around Asia and not feel as severe as a culture shock as decades past (Meaning they can probably find a McDonald's or KFC to eat at if they wanted to).

In the future, the West will be more and more influenced by the East. It's just a natural result of the tipping of the economy, resources, and sheer population numbers.

To the guy in New Orleans who said he doubts his community will be influenced by Asian culture.. apparently he never listened to Wu-Tang (New York kids inspired by Chinese film), he never used most major appliances that were technologically advanced by Japanese standards (smaller, faster, cuter design), and what about Bape?  Anyone in this thread who wore Bape was wearing a JAPANESE brand.  Turns out Japanese clothing is not just a kimono and chopsticks in the hair.  In the '90s, Nigo would sit outside of New York schoolyards and observe our hip-hop/urban fashion. He walked our tradeshows and was introduced to guys like Erik Brunetti from FUCT and stole his Planet of the Apes iconography.  Then he went back to Japan, scaled the t-shirts down to fit Japanese people, concentrated on quality, packaging, and limited numbers (Japanese philosophy), and came up with an original brand that he sold right back to the Americans who he borrowed from in the first place.

Same thing with menswear trends these past few years that have gone into the "trad," Americana aesthetic.  That style has been popular in Japan for years. These were the guys who came to the States, basically stole and mimicked our vintage fashions by scouring flea markets and thrift shops. They went back to Japan, made it cool to dress like an old middle-American farmer from the 40s, and then the West took it back again.  And so on.

These are all examples of how the USA has been heavily influenced by Asian culture (which was inspired by American culture, which was inspired by European, and so on).  And it will continue to happen even moreso now.

i thought their stores would've closed down a while ago. i haven't seen anything bape in forever

Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that. �It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape. �
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole? �Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).
son, NY is da biggest city in da US...if they could've thrive here with that 1 store roping in that huge demographic of impressionable hypebeasts� who are lookin for that edge

laugh.gif

its BEEEEEN over
laugh.gif

Father,

Your points are your own, and valid.

But I think you need to travel more �- both around America and the world. NY is not the center of the universe. America isn't either. Although you've been taught to think that your whole life.

i thought their stores would've closed down a while ago. i haven't seen anything bape in forever

Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that. �It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape. �
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole? �Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).
son, NY is da biggest city in da US...if they could've thrive here with that 1 store roping in that huge demographic of impressionable hypebeasts� who are lookin for that edge

laugh.gif

its BEEEEEN over
laugh.gif

Father,

But I think you need to travel more �- both around America and the world. NY is not the center of the universe. America isn't either. Although you've been taught to think that your whole life.

bobbytripledigit
I agree...
 Originally I said:
"I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough..."

You said:
"I disagree."

However, your last post clarifies things alot better and I'm totally with you on that...

bobbytripledigit
I agree...
 Originally I said:
"I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough..."

You said:
"I disagree."

However, your last post clarifies things alot better and I'm totally with you on that...

Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
...communist 
eyes.gif

nerd.gif
American Dad had an episode were they went into the future and while they were in the car they were listening to japanese pop. Saying it was all the rave now or something

Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
...communist 
eyes.gif

nerd.gif
American Dad had an episode were they went into the future and while they were in the car they were listening to japanese pop. Saying it was all the rave now or something

Father,

im gonna give you a example of what im talking about....da NBA has da world's greatest collection of talented ball players are currently in on a work stoppage....lets say these players go overseas

in da meantime & comparable leagues pay them exactly what they were getting or even more....once da NBA opens its doors do you honestly think those players are gonna want to stay overseas?

hell no, and its not just because da money...cuz those leagues can obviously pay them well, its because of da notoriety of being successful in da US is whats appeals to them da most.

so it goes da same with clothing, most brands if their not popping in da US, suuuure you can be popping elsewhere in da world (i heard karl kani is is swimmin in $$ cuz of his overseas exploits)

but that still doesn't change da fact that your time is done in da US, which by all means still sets da trends when it comes to worldwide appeal.

moneywise its totally different, bape can probably make just as much if not more cake overseas...but they'll always be considered "meh" here stateside.....there's a reason honda, toyota, and nissan

created infiniti, acura, and lexus....cuz they know how "big" of brand whorezz us americans are...and thats unfortunately translated and transfered over to da far east as well (hence why there's SOOO

much bootlegs)

Father,

im gonna give you a example of what im talking about....da NBA has da world's greatest collection of talented ball players are currently in on a work stoppage....lets say these players go overseas

in da meantime & comparable leagues pay them exactly what they were getting or even more....once da NBA opens its doors do you honestly think those players are gonna want to stay overseas?

hell no, and its not just because da money...cuz those leagues can obviously pay them well, its because of da notoriety of being successful in da US is whats appeals to them da most.

so it goes da same with clothing, most brands if their not popping in da US, suuuure you can be popping elsewhere in da world (i heard karl kani is is swimmin in $$ cuz of his overseas exploits)

but that still doesn't change da fact that your time is done in da US, which by all means still sets da trends when it comes to worldwide appeal.

moneywise its totally different, bape can probably make just as much if not more cake overseas...but they'll always be considered "meh" here stateside.....there's a reason honda, toyota, and nissan

created infiniti, acura, and lexus....cuz they know how "big" of brand whorezz us americans are...and thats unfortunately translated and transfered over to da far east as well (hence why there's SOOO

much bootlegs)

Back
Top Bottom