Bape NY closing down.... Vol. This ain't 2004 no more....

Originally Posted by LanZeR23

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

What a surprise. I wonder what wave every high school kid is gonna ride next...
The Supreme bandwagon is filling up fast filled with High School kids. 
its all area defined...here in my kneck of the woods its snapbacks and fixies all day long and vans with long socks
laugh.gif

man but bape used to be that brand back in the day....shark hoodies ftw
happy.gif

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
Very interesting.

Remember a while back you had a blog post asking an industry OG, think it was the owner of Quiksilver, about expanding into China...so I know the market has been on your radar.

I guess we just have to keep grinding at home and rebuilding/reinventing our rep until our cultural cache is back to where it was in years past.

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
Very interesting.

Remember a while back you had a blog post asking an industry OG, think it was the owner of Quiksilver, about expanding into China...so I know the market has been on your radar.

I guess we just have to keep grinding at home and rebuilding/reinventing our rep until our cultural cache is back to where it was in years past.

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.

You always provide dope insight. Cool.

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.

You always provide dope insight. Cool.

i think its da red flag.....sure you can lead and show growth in emerging markets, but if you're run out da US, its cuz you couldn't compete.

da cycle of brands is once u played out in da states, you go overseas to re-invent yourself.

i think its da red flag.....sure you can lead and show growth in emerging markets, but if you're run out da US, its cuz you couldn't compete.

da cycle of brands is once u played out in da states, you go overseas to re-invent yourself.

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
...communist 
eyes.gif

JK, but that kind of depressed the &%!@ outta me

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
...communist 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
...communist 
eyes.gif

I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

*coughs*

THHK ?

*coughs*
Haha I wish.
...communist 
eyes.gif

I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that.  It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape.  
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole?  Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).  If I.T wanted to, they could make Bape thrive and dominate in the States. But I know I.T, I've been doing business with them for years - the last place they care about is America - it's peanuts to them. A NON-issue.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Not anymore. That's a very Americentric ideology and a dangerous one at that.  It's the same philosophy that gets America into needless wars, into debt, and behind in the cultural landscape.  
And Bape is FAR from played out in the States. Sure, it may be in your school, on Niketalk, in your community. But as a whole?  Even Von Dutch and Ed Hardy are NOT played out to the majority of Americans (who live outside major cosmopolitan cities).  If I.T wanted to, they could make Bape thrive and dominate in the States. But I know I.T, I've been doing business with them for years - the last place they care about is America - it's peanuts to them. A NON-issue.

Back
Top Bottom