Bigger Impact: Michael Jackson or J.K Rowling??

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

are you serious? most people dont even know what that $$% looks like

This.  I didn't know who JK Rowling is until I read this thread.  I'm sure I could probably walk down the block and ask people if they heard of JK Rowling and they probably wouldn't know what she looks like.  It is a woman right?  Or is it a he?

Somebody post a pic of this JK so we know who he/she looks like. 

im to assume by this reply that you dont read many books... would i be correct in doing so?
i can name prince,elvis,beatles,rolling stones,marvin gaye etc  . most people can name dozens of musicians

most people cant do the same for authors.

and your out of your damn mind

if u think

4275_tribe-in-the-picture-01_04700300.jpg

know  about no damn micheal jackson(not that they know of rowling , just seems to be an argument of choice by MJ  siders)

and 4318MichaelJohnson4318 what makes her a "b-word"? 
alien.gif

her numbers TRUMP his ,

best selling book of all time AND highest grossing film series of all time.

nobody went to see no damn MJ movie that came a few months after his death.

he couldnt get kids to go want to READ, he didnt change litercay scores,

grades etc. SHE DID THIS ALL WHILE MAKING MORE MONEY THEN HE CAN DREAM OF.

" the book series has sold about 450 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages"

450 mill books > 180 mill albums

$7,556,140,465 box office >>>>>

she's a 2 sport MJ

MJ DIED BROKE FOR A REASON NOTHING.... NOTHING TOPPED THRILLER

THE FIRST HARRY POTTER MOVIE BROKE THE RECORD  FOR HIGHEST OPENING WEEKEND

AND THE LAST HARRY POTTER MOVIE 10 YEARS LATER BROKE THE PREVIOUS ALL TIME RECORD

MJ Had a bigger impact, But wouldn't say he had a huge impact though.

But compared to her, Yes.

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

are you serious? most people dont even know what that $$% looks like

This.  I didn't know who JK Rowling is until I read this thread.  I'm sure I could probably walk down the block and ask people if they heard of JK Rowling and they probably wouldn't know what she looks like.  It is a woman right?  Or is it a he?

im to assume by this reply that you dont read many books... would i be correct in doing so?
i can name prince,elvis,beatles,rolling stones,marvin gaye etc  . most people can name dozens of musicians

if u think

know  about no damn micheal jackson(not that they know of rowling , just seems to be an argument of choice by MJ  siders)

alien.gif

her numbers TRUMP his ,

" the book series has sold about 450 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages"

she's a 2 sport MJ

AND THE LAST HARRY POTTER MOVIE 10 YEARS LATER BROKE THE PREVIOUS ALL TIME RECORD

And yet many people don't know who she is. 

two things I never had...a STD and interest in Harry Potter

MJ easily... like seriously, wth?

this lady isnt more popular than Micheal Jordan

Lots of ignorance in this thread....

And I'm saying that to the people who view MJ as the "end all be all, second coming".

Lots of biased responses in this thread that are obviously impacted by the lack of reading and general knowledge of books and literature.

People who had to Google JK Rowling just to find out who she is, shouldn't even have the right to comment on this debate.

And it's very debatable. Great post OP

Originally Posted by cartune

I hate kids born in the 90s
word...

george foreman sold over 200 million grills so i guess hes in the running too

true, the +$%!% sold 450 million books but come on lets be serious, this is Michael #%+%%%@*@**+@ Jackson, not ONE book has outsold thriller, that 450 is for the whole collection

my 3 year old knows who mj is

i know thugs who  haven't read a book since dr. suess but know billie jean word for word

Originally Posted by fearthenut

And I'm saying that to the people who view MJ as the "end all be all, second coming".

Lots of biased responses in this thread that are obviously impacted by the lack of reading and general knowledge of books and literature.

People who had to Google JK Rowling just to find out who she is, shouldn't even have the right to comment on this debate.

reach much?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by fearthenut

So you are the "move the goalposts" type when you don't agree with the topic?

Now, people's opinions don't count because they don't read kiddie books?  So since most of this board wasn't even alive when MJ was in his prime, should their opinions not count either?

Originally Posted by 2o6

if u think

alien.gif

her numbers TRUMP his ,

she's a 2 sport MJ

And yet many people don't know who she is. 
who invented the internet?
"IMPACT" 

johann Gutenberg is the most impactful human in the past 700 years but most people dont know him either

[h1]
[/h1]

Originally Posted by 2o6

who invented the internet?
"IMPACT" 

johann Gutenberg is the most impactful human in the past 700 years but most people dont know him either

[h1]
[/h1]

The government invented the internet

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

two things I never had...a STD and interest in Harry Potter

MJ easily... like seriously, wth?

this lady isnt more popular than Micheal Jordan

so much irony in the fact that rowling helped literacy and people can't comprehend a a thread title.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]johann Gutenberg wasnt very popular either 
laugh.gif
[/font]

more irony when your avy is jay and ye' video that dropped 2 days ago

im done in this thread
smile.gif

Might as well change this into a "who has the bigger impact MJ or Harry Potter?" Cause it's obvious most NTer's have no idea who JK Rowling is. For me I would have to go with doublej's opinion. I have never read or seen any of the harry potter stuff. So I am going to have to go with MJ. 
Or you could even change this to a "what has the bigger impact books or music?" Cause it seems like that is what you guys are arguing about, the most popular book series vs the biggest musician. 

Dude Johan Gutenburg didnt invent no damn internet he died in 1468. He impacted the way news is transferred via the printing press. You can stretch it and say he helped influence the invetors of the internet.

Harry Potter seems to have like a weird fanbase. It seems like people either are in love with Harry Potter, see all the movies and read all the books, or they don't like it or care for it at all. Like I asked my 11 yr old mentee a few weeks ago if he wanted to go to the movies to see Harry Potter and he was like, "I don't really like Harry Potter". I was like "ok, how about Captain America" and he was like ok. But yet he saw the MJ movie twice and has it on DVD.

Just like on here and these are all young people.  You have like a few people that love Harry Potter and then you have people like "JK who?".  "Who the heck is that".  I can't imagine what the responses would be if we asked older people.

first, book or cd sales cannot be your judge of their global impact
impact has more to do with how their work affected and influenced people of the world, generation by generation

thus, id say MJ because his work affected and influenced many more people than JK's work did. I still dont see what impact or influence that JK had, other than the fact that people read her books and watched the movies. I feel that MJ had influence in music and issues of race in america and around the world. I know many artists that would say they were influenced by MJ, but I dunno how many authors JK has influenced.

Also, to someone that says books usually stand the test of time (as opposed to music)- Why do you think that Mozart, Beethoven and classical music are still relevant even after 200 years? btw, im not saying books dont have the same impact, just that they both have the potential to be influential for hundreds of years

Back
Top Bottom