Bigger Impact: Michael Jackson or J.K Rowling??

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

two things I never had...a STD and interest in Harry Potter

MJ easily... like seriously, wth?

this lady isnt more popular than Micheal Jordan

so much irony in the fact that rowling helped literacy and people can't comprehend a a thread title.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]johann Gutenberg wasnt very popular either 
laugh.gif
[/font]
roll.gif
 ohh u def got me there dawg
I made a mistake...mistyped, lost context.... but lets not carried away tho

im not in tune with how her grand her impact goes in terms of improving literacy...but I know Education in the US is still ugly...sooooo

Originally Posted by cartune

Dude Johan Gutenburg didnt invent no damn internet he died in 1468. He impacted the way news is transferred via the printing press. You can stretch it and say he helped influence the invetors of the internet.
stretch i did 
laugh.gif
there might be a misinterpretation on the meaning of the word

can a musician make a differance????

230px-LiveAidlogo.jpg

Live Aid was a dual-venue concert that was held on 13 July 1985. The event was organized by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for relief of the ongoing Ethiopian famine. Billed as the "global jukebox", the event was held simultaneously in Wembley Stadium in London, England, United Kingdom (attended by 72,000 people) and John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (attended by about 100,000 people).[sup][1][/sup] On the same day, concerts inspired by the initiative happened in other countries, such as Australia and Germany. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time: an estimated global audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast.

Elton John 

U2

Sting and Phil Collins (with Branford Marsalis)

Sade 

Status Quo 

Nik Kershaw

Run-D.M.C. 

Madonna

Lionel Richie

David Ruffin

Queen 

David Bowie

Paul McCartney

Billy Ocean

George Michael

Led Zeppelin

Patti LaBelle 

Duran Duran

Bob Dylan

The Beach Boys

etc. but mj wouldnt know about that would he?

^

You serious?? It's well known that MJ was one of the most charitable celebs ever. He even has the world record for most charities supported. Dude honestly wanted to make the world a better place

I'm going to say MJ by a country mile.  Either one of them actually.   Michael jackson has influenced damn near every pop and R&B act that has followed him.  Try to find an artist he didn't influence.  There was literally no place he could go in the world where people wouldn't recognize him.  Recognize and mob him.  Put it this way...the dude had grown @+@ people passing out.  People who couldn't speak english would see this cat throw on a fedora, hit a couple of notes, moonwalk and pass out 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

^

You serious?? It's well known that MJ was one of the most charitable celebs ever. He even has the world record for most charities supported. Dude honestly wanted to make the world a better place

He is serious and he should just give it up at this point. 

^

well they both "impacted" children..... 
smile.gif
. one biased to boys, but thats neither here nor there
one with books , other with his Pen.....smanship and song writing (didnt even write his owns songs u say? , oh well)

Originally Posted by 2o6

^

smile.gif
one with books , other with his Pen.....smanship and song writing (didnt even write his owns songs u say? , oh well)

Actin like he molested you 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by 2o6

^

smile.gif

30t6p3b.gif

He didn't molest anyone

Originally Posted by sammietheboss

Originally Posted by 2o6

smile.gif

30t6p3b.gif

He didn't molest anyone
I know,dude has a bad rap. He never really grew up. His childhood was so messed up that he wasn't able to experience the things a normal kid would so when he grew up and had money he tried to make up for his lost childhood. 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Fact of the matter is that MJ influenced so many people, not just musicians, that we will never know the magnitude of his impact. It's astronomical.

I agree that Michael Jackson has made a bigger impact, but I feel Like y'all are DEFINITELY underrating J.K. Rowling's impact as well.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

I agree that Michael Jackson has made a bigger impact, but I feel Like y'all are DEFINITELY underrating J.K. Rowling's impact as well.
This

^ i still dont see JK Rowlings impact. what did she impact?

and to say she improved literacy is a damn reach...

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Originally Posted by fearthenut

Lots of ignorance in this thread....

And I'm saying that to the people who view MJ as the "end all be all, second coming".

Lots of biased responses in this thread that are obviously impacted by the lack of reading and general knowledge of books and literature.

People who had to Google JK Rowling just to find out who she is, shouldn't even have the right to comment on this debate.

And it's very debatable. Great post OP

reach much?
grin.gif
Not really. Countless posts stating how they had to "look her up on the internet to find out who she was" and this and that. Completely ignorant to who this woman and/or the impact she has had.

If you'll notice on this board, there are topics in the music forum that reach 100's of pages on some artist/record/song. Yet there's nothing of equal length or involvement towards national issues, literature, history, or anything like that. This board is heavily influenced by Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B, and of course will gravitate towards the icon that is Michael Jackson, blindly giving the nod to this man while casting off any other option, or even welcoming a discussion, towards any other figure of influence. Calling her a %@#^ even? It's as if no one can touch this immortal man, and that's just not the case. It's unfortunate really that some people think that way.

In this forum, people will blindly say MJ, then state they don't know who Rowling is, then carry on in their non-ending conversations about the next Kanye track or Waka Flacka mixtape. There's no perspective.

homegirl wrote a popular childrens book series that sold an impressive amount of copies and u dudes are acting like she wrote the constitution

how about one of u hogwart fan boys school us on the impact shes had and shut us all up

if not...beat it, pun intended

Originally Posted by cguy610

Lots of ignorance in this thread....

And I'm saying that to the people who view MJ as the "end all be all, second coming".

Lots of biased responses in this thread that are obviously impacted by the lack of reading and general knowledge of books and literature.

People who had to Google JK Rowling just to find out who she is, shouldn't even have the right to comment on this debate.

And it's very debatable. Great post OP

So you are the "move the goalposts" type when you don't agree with the topic?

Now, people's opinions don't count because they don't read kiddie books?  So since most of this board wasn't even alive when MJ was in his prime, should their opinions not count either?
This is what I'm talking about, completely discrediting Rowling from the start. Why is there even a need for a negative connotation that clearly isn't true? Anyone who has a rational understanding of this topic would know that, which is why it's impossible to carry a thread with people like this.

By the way, I haven't even read the books or seen the movies. But damn, the ignorance in here is crazy. 

Not really. Countless posts stating how they had to "look her up on the internet to find out who she was" and this and that. Completely ignorant to who this woman and/or the impact she has had.

If you'll notice on this board, there are topics in the music forum that reach 100's of pages on some artist/record/song. Yet there's nothing of equal length or involvement towards national issues, literature, history, or anything like that. This board is heavily influenced by Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B, and of course will gravitate towards the icon that is Michael Jackson, blindly giving the nod to this man while casting off any other option, or even welcoming a discussion, towards any other figure of influence. Calling her a %@#^ even? It's as if no one can touch this immortal man, and that's just not the case. It's unfortunate really that some people think that way.

In this forum, people will blindly say MJ, then state they don't know who Rowling is, then carry on in their non-ending conversations about the next Kanye track or Waka Flacka mixtape. There's no perspective.

I've seen 4 of the Harry Potter movies, and have been randomly suggested to read some of J.K. Rowling's works (which I've politely passed over to read medical books that I need to read instead), and
I didn't have to look her up to know who she was/is. The fact is that MJ's music is 40 years worth, through every generation (5 years olds playing Michael Jackson Wii rings a bell), and has a legit
massive impact across the globe. His death even rose that fact, to where loads of his albums were being picked up again (whether repurchased or through people who weren't even originally fans of MJ),
and the internet crashed. His influence is pretty much spread through everyone, whether people like to admit it or not, so the fact that people in a minute obscure country even knows Michael Jackson and
his songs is a testament to that. Is J.K. Rowling very impactful? Of course, no doubt. but she also has only been involved in Harry Potter since the late 90's, with the movies not taking off until the early 2000's.
So if you think people are "blindly giving the nod" to Michael Jackson, well, it's not that hard for people to do if that is the case. Does Rowling have the potential to have an impact like him? Yes, she does,
even if they are in 2 different mediums. Her success only spans 15 years, with 8-10 being prime years worth of movies. So that's another reason why people may scoff at the comparison between the two,
cause she just doesn't have the career length nor the catalog. You could probably compare money, but the money now isn't what it was decades ago.

And also, you're on a forum called Nike Talk, which roots come from people looking for shoes, so how would the forum not be rap/hip hop influenced? That's like going to an NBA game and getting mad
that you're not seeing Nascar drivers.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

homegirl wrote a popular childrens book series that sold an impressive amount of copies and u dudes are acting like she wrote the constitution

how about one of u hogwart fan boys school us on the impact shes had and shut us all up

if not...beat it, pun intended
I'm not gonna call it because I'm sure it's close, but don't dismiss her out of hand because she wrote "children's books" (a HUGE number of her readers were and still are adults).
She went from having a net worth of around $0 to over $1 BILLION from the books and movies. In a little over a decade. That's a lot of people affected by her writing.
The books have been translated into 67 languages.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

I've seen 4 of the Harry Potter movies, and have been randomly suggested to read some of J.K. Rowling's works (which I've politely passed over to read medical books that I need to read instead), and
I didn't have to look her up to know who she was/is. The fact is that MJ's music is 40 years worth, through every generation (5 years olds playing Michael Jackson Wii rings a bell), and has a legit
massive impact across the globe. His death even rose that fact, to where loads of his albums were being picked up again (whether repurchased or through people who weren't even originally fans of MJ),
and the internet crashed. His influence is pretty much spread through everyone, whether people like to admit it or not, so the fact that people in a minute obscure country even knows Michael Jackson and
his songs is a testament to that. Is J.K. Rowlings very impactful? Of course, no doubt. but she also has only been involved in Harry Potter since the late 90's, with the movies not taking off until the early 2000's.
So if you think people are "blindly giving the nod" to Michael Jackson, well, it's not that hard for people to do if that is the case. Does Rowlings have the potential to have an impact like him? Yes, she does,
even if they are in 2 different mediums. Her success only spans 15 years, with 8-10 being prime years worth of movies. So that's another reason why people may scoff at the comparison between the two,
cause she just doesn't have the career length nor the catalog. You could probably compare money, but the money now isn't what it was decades ago.

And also, you're on a forum called Nike Talk, which roots come from people looking for shoes, so how would the forum not be rap/hip hop influenced? That's like going to an NBA game and getting mad
that you're not seeing Nascar drivers.

Well then obviously this whole topic is biased and we're not going to be able to have a reasonable discussion
laugh.gif

But I like the response, time can only tell. It's just amazing to me how people can discredit Rowling so quickly.

And as far as the bolded goes... Just a question, what type of influence is "spread through people" as you say? This is what I don't understand.

I still havent heard someone really talk about her impact.
laugh.gif
what was it?
that shes a billionaire? that the book sold well? that it was translated into 67 languages?

none of those talk about impact...

Back
Top Bottom