Bigger Impact: Michael Jackson or J.K Rowling??

tumblr_lp2lx6v8191qea3fz.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

Originally Posted by KillTheHype

You know, here is the thing.

When he was alive, no one cared.

He dies, oh Michael oh Michael.

tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

Jokes for days when the man was alive....when he died he was labeled "misunderstood."

That's another topic for another day

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

Jokes for days when the man was alive....when he died he was labeled "misunderstood."

That's another topic for another day

indifferent.gif
I don't agree w. what KTH said, but I 100% stand by my statement....

You can stoneface all you want, but Michael Jackson was ROUTINELY the butt of jokes for the past 10+ years or so.  The day he died, folks who were cracking those jokes were all of a sudden sympathetic to him being "misunderstood." 

Michael Jackson was ROUTINELY the butt of jokes for the past 10+ years or so.  The day he died, folks who were cracking those jokes were all of a sudden sympathetic to him being "misunderstood."  

Agree 100%. I also agree this thread is biased like usual the brothas don't want to give an inch.

Originally Posted by CriminalMinded

Michael Jackson was ROUTINELY the butt of jokes for the past 10+ years or so.  The day he died, folks who were cracking those jokes were all of a sudden sympathetic to him being "misunderstood."  

Agree 100%. I also agree this thread is biased like usual the brothas don't want to give an inch.
laugh.gif
.. *Looks at avy*...
eyes.gif

DoubleJs07 wrote:

You can stoneface all you want, but Michael Jackson was ROUTINELY the butt of jokes for the past 10+ years or so.  The day he died, folks who were cracking those jokes were all of a sudden sympathetic to him being "misunderstood." 

Not entirely true, the people who wanted to bring him down always made fun of him. There was a conspiracy to tarnish his image for good with those cases in 93 and 04-05. You act like he wasn't the greatest musician still of all time when he was alive. When you pass we remember the greatness someone had, not their troubles. Dude is the King of Pop nothing more needs to be said after that, he's responsible for almost every pop artist's existence today and that's a fact. 

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

DoubleJs07 wrote:

Not entirely true, the people who wanted to bring him down always made fun of him. There was a conspiracy to tarnish his image for good with those cases in 93 and 04-05. You act like he wasn't the greatest musician still of all time when he was alive. When you pass we remember the greatness someone had, not their troubles. Dude is the King of Pop nothing more needs to be said after that, he's responsible for almost every pop artist's existence today and that's a fact. 

he only played piano....

DoubleJs07 wrote:

A conspiracy to tarnish his image??? 
laugh.gif
OK.  Michael Jackson for as great as he once was became a caricature of himself.  Trust me, people knew he was great...and he will ALWAYS be the King of Pop.  But with his image, dealing(s) with children, amongst other things, he became an easy target.  You can't honestly sit there and say that when he was alive, people didn't have a different view of the man.  He was the butt of jokes.  He was looked at as "strange."  It goes on and on....I honestly think there are a lot of people who got on their moral high-horses after he died to spread the word that he was misunderstood when that wasn't their feelings of him when he was alive.  Just my .02 

*Greatest ENTERTAINER....but not musician. 

Did JK Rowling inspire a generation of kids to read, or just inspire them to read more juvenile fantasy? I can't imagine a whole lot of HP fans moving onto Brave New World (which is written for ages just after HP level) just because they got in the habit of reading.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Did JK Rowling inspire a generation of kids to read, or just inspire them to read more juvenile fantasy? I can't imagine a whole lot of HP fans moving onto Brave New World (which is written for ages just after HP level) just because they got in the habit of reading.

A.  Youre going off the assumption that prior to JK, children were reading juvenile fantasty books.
B.  Why are you assuming that they have to move onto Brave New World type of books? 

roll.gif
roll.gif
Dudes in here swearing up and down that J.K Rowling taught people how to read and without her everyone would be illiterate 

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

DoubleJs07 wrote:

he only played piano....

are u talking about mj

DoubleJs07 wrote:

A conspiracy to tarnish his image??? 
laugh.gif
OK.  Michael Jackson for as great as he once was became a caricature of himself.  Trust me, people knew he was great...and he will ALWAYS be the King of Pop.  But with his image, dealing(s) with children, amongst other things, he became an easy target.  You can't honestly sit there and say that when he was alive, people didn't have a different view of the man.  He was the butt of jokes.  He was looked at as "strange."  It goes on and on....I honestly think there are a lot of people who got on their moral high-horses after he died to spread the word that he was misunderstood when that wasn't their feelings of him when he was alive.  Just my .02 

*Greatest ENTERTAINER....but not musician. 

All that is true, but were people not still buying his music all through that time? Were his songs not being used extensively throughout loads of commercials and such,
and was he not still going on tours throughout that period? People can have whatever view of them they want (whether a defender of him or if you were ridiculing him),
but his music just speaks for itself. 4 generations of people can vouch for that. Did I ridicule him?
laugh.gif
Yea, it was easy like you said, but that didn't stop me from still
listening to his music or watching his videos. This comparion shouldn't even have been done, cause like I mentioned before, Rowling just doesn't have the catalog or
the career length to even draw a fair comparison. Did Rowling make people read more? Yes she did, but with the series winding down, it could be honestly considered 
a fad, with her either coming back with something new, or another series from a whole different person catching on, with people getting drawn to that.

roll.gif
laugh.gif
 @ the CriminalMinded comment

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ the Prince gif. Prince has been making music longer than Michael Jackson, but there's legitimately people who know J.K. Rowling more than him.

The fact that some of you are putting this white lady on MJ's level just shows me that some of you need to learn something in school besides how to bubble the right answer in these standardized test that have completely taken over your pathetic lives.

The mans first hit records was in 1969 and he will continue to have hits and he died 3 years ago? Isnt Harry Potter like 30 by now? What the hell is this chick gonna write about 10 years from now?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by fearthenut

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

MJ is one of the greatest musicians across many generations, cultures, etc---this thread is stupid

I didn't cry when MJ died, people did---it was surreal

If JK Rowling died, a kid in some village in Kenya wouldnt know and wouldnt care-is this thread serious?
laugh.gif

Harry Potter is more influential in this country, in the last few years that's the only argument that could be made
People keep bringing up this point, but really it's pointless. So what if some kid in Kenya has heard of Michael Jackson? Does that mean he's been impacted or influenced by him?

Hell no. He's just heard of him, that's all. And that has nothing to do with the question.

MJs influence spans several generations-since the Jackson 5-today you have 5 year old kids in youtube videos doing the moonwalk

The man set the bar for all pop music, and dance performance we see today-yes there are kids in third world countries who idolize MJ that is an impact

Why are you acting like MJ can't impact kids the way HP books impacts kids in this country?

I never said that.

I think we can all agree that MJ touched and impacted certain children in this country in both memorable and unforgettable ways.

Another JK Rowling will come along. There will NEVER be another Michael Jackson. /thread

I dont think its a bad question, but hard to compare. MJ had a huge impact back in his day and JK did the same 20 years later. Different generation, different field. Kind of like comparing a pear and an apple.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

I dont think its a bad question, but hard to compare. MJ had a huge impact back in his day and JK did the same 20 years later. Different generation, different field. Kind of like comparing a pear and an apple.

not_sure_if_serious_8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom