Black Culture Discussion Thread

There have been a lot of sidebar conversations in multiple threads about the status of Black Culture in our society, so I figured I would make a thread that would focus specifically on those topics. 

Some topics that were brought up in multiple threads:

Lack of unity

Exploitation

Glorification of destructive behaviors

Hypocrisy in music

Lack of leadership

As a black man I feel like honest discussions on these controversial topics needs to happen. We need to self reflect and address some of these issues so we can move forward as a people and as a culture. It seems like we were more together as a people when we were outwardly oppressed. Now that the oppression has been woven into the fabric of our nation and we are seemingly equal... we call each other ******, glorify violence against each other, and are as divided as ever. 

Thoughts?

You can add attitudes like this to the list of what's wrong with the black community

procrastination
How is this solely an issue with the black community?
eyes.gif

Can you start by defining what you are referring to as Black culture?
I'm assuming he means African-American culture. I highly doubt he's referencing the behaviors and societal problems of black people in Dominica or Ghana.

I'm assuming he means African-American culture. I highly doubt he's referencing the behaviors and societal problems of black people in Dominica or Ghana.
That still leads to the issue about Blacks in America (with family here for generations etc.) who don't define themselves as "African-American";.

I wanted to know more-so if he was being distinct about what he defines as Black culture and Hip-Hop culture since people interchange the two.

All of that can be discussed here though.

Lack of unity
Exploitation
Glorification of destructive behaviors
Hypocrisy in music
Lack of leadership

Thoughts?

Of all the things mentioned, I think Lack of Leadership is the biggest factor that is keeping "black culture" from turning the proverbial page.

Whenever you have a large group of people, there will always be conflicting agendas and ideas that will oppose each other. A strong leader can take those opposing ideals and find compromise within them to appease their followers, and often to the benefit of that group rather than the detriment. A leader can tell their followers when they are being exploited and how to circumvent that, and they can also unify people with varying views to work towards a common goal, much like how the March on Washington led to The Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Act (1964). A lot of people don't know that a list of demands, so to speak, was distributed at the March on Washington so that every person, at all times, could look and see why they were there.

The issue is that people within the black community don't have that today. The black culture in America doesn't have a strong leader. Barack Obama is an incredible role model, but he is the leader of America, not just Black Americans, and he isn't really in the correct role to fill in the shoes that Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, and MLK left behind. We instead have Al Sharpton, who seems to be more focused on his reputation and legacy rather than actually committing for meaningful change and the growth of equity (not just equality) in the community. I guess we also have Jesse Jackson, but after that night in Tennessee, I can't put my faith in that man.

Long and short of it is that we need a leader. A leader who can say "That music you're listening to isn't helping you," and people can heed that advice. A leader that can tell the community "Invest in you and people who look like you before giving your money to outside social/ethnic groups," and actually help to establish those businesses. A leader who, unfortunately, isn't afraid to die... Not due to their extreme practices or measures, but because they pose a threat to the status quo, and knows that the ultimate sacrifice may be the key to finally setting off a much needed and long overdue revolution.

Music, the glorification of destructive behavior and "lack of leadership" are entirely worthless topics of discussions.

"Culture" is overrated, over discussed and over analyzed.

Talk about Poverty/Education/Housing Discrimination/Voter rights.

but miss me with this culture stuff.

Last edited:
You use the word "culture" as if we're an indigenous tribe. If we're talking about African Americans, we have about as much in common as water and milk.
I mean we're liquid, but I'm quite the opposite as almost everybody in my house.
No I'm not tryna drop false knowledge, I just want to see myself talk

That still leads to the issue about Blacks in America (with family here for generations etc.) who don't define themselves as "African-American";.

I wanted to know more-so if he was being distinct about what he defines as Black culture and Hip-Hop culture since people interchange the two.

All of that can be discussed here though.
That's the thing... I'm not sure I can define black culture. Is that an issue? I don't know, which is why I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss it here. 

And I was referring to "Blacks in America"

Can only point the finger at the generation before us

The way we put a double standard on a white mans word & the way we put slang on it to try to give it a better meaning should tell us that the generation before us is the only people to blame

Can only point the finger at the generation before us

The way we put a double standard on a white mans word & the way we put slang on it to try to give it a better meaning should tell us that the generation before us is the only people to blame
whut?

The President of the United States of America is Black. Every American citizen is under Black leadership. The issue with Black-American culture is that there is a widespread lack of male leadership in the home. Take the male out of the Black-American home and you end up with an entire generation raised by media, music, and anything else that the machine wants to market to the race.

Since that's out of the way, Black-Americans have a culture of resilience, strength, ingenuity, creativity, spiritual values, rhythmic expression, global exploration, mathematics, language arts, sciences of the earth the elements and the heavens, dentistry and medical practice, and of strong family bonds.

The things listed in the OP don't necessarily represent culture. Merely by-products of what has been forced upon us, that is if we're strictly talking the "Black American" situation. So what exactly are we discussing here?

The President of the United States of America is Black. Every American citizen is under Black leadership. The issue with Black-American culture is that there is a widespread lack of male leadership in the home. Take the male out of the Black-American home and you end up with an entire generation raised by media, music, and anything else that the machine wants to market to the race.

Since that's out of the way, Black-Americans have a culture of resilience, strength, ingenuity, creativity, spiritual values, rhythmic expression, global exploration, mathematics, language arts, sciences of the earth the elements and the heavens, dentistry and medical practice, and of strong family bonds.
whut?

Back
Top Bottom