Black Culture Discussion Thread

12476434-3BEA-41C4-B588-E3C2B24FF0B2.png

There’s an app called Official Black Wallstreet that has thousands of businesses listed.

Right now in the DMV my biggest concerns are grocery stores we have been depending on Shoppers, Safeway and Giant for far too long.
A Safeway closed due to “loss prevention failure” so they claimed, on 214 near DC border and created huge food desert for residents in that area. Also factor in overpopulation in PG County where the stores damn near get picked clean before another restock. There are a couple Harris Teeter and Wegmans popping up and they are quite pricey.

Alot of people dont notice but its becoming a serious issue.
Our own grocery store chains and produce access really should have been priority one ever since.

'Insensitive' Black History Month Meal At NYU Sparks Outrage, Firing
Head cook to insulted student: "black people put this menu together."
bbq.jpg

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27517/two-black-cooks-fired-nyu-making-racist-meal-paul-bois#

Two Aramark employees have been fired by the food service after preparing a meal at NYU during Black History Month that was deemed racially "insensitive." Reports suggest that the employees are African-American, though Aramark has not confirmed details about the ethnicity of the fired employees.

According to CBS News, the two employees were fired as a result of a complaint by a sophomore, who says she confronted the head cook about the "racially insensitive" meal but was "lied to" and ultimately "ignored." The meal, the student claimed in a Facebook post, consisted of barbecue ribs, collard greens, watermelon-flavored water, Kool-Aid, and mac and cheese.

"Sophomore Nia Harris, who is black, said the head cook dismissed her objections and told her black employees planned the menu," reports CBS News. "She posted about the menu and her experience on Facebook, saying she 'was lied to, placated, and ignored.'"

"This is what it's like to be a black student at New York University," Nia wrote in her Facebook post. "You go to a dining hall during February and you see 'Black History Month Meal' plastered outside the entrance. You walk inside the dining hall only to find ribs, collard greens, and mac and cheese.

"In 2018 I literally had to explain why displaying watermelon and kool-aid in celebration of Black History Month was not only racially insensitive but just ignorant."

Both Nia and The New York Times noted that the head cook told her black people planned the menu. "The head cook also told Ms. Harris that the employees who planned the menu were black," reports the Times.

"I talked to the head cook who told me 'black people put this menu together' and assured me that it was not racially insensitive," Nia said.

Only thing I can find offensive there is them telling the students what is and isn't offensive to them.

Didn't see the watermelon and kool aid part, smh.

Last edited:
"In 2018 I literally had to explain why displaying watermelon and kool-aid in celebration of Black History Month was not only racially insensitive but just ignorant."

They knew what they were doing

Right now in the DMV my biggest concerns are grocery stores we have been depending on Shoppers, Safeway and Giant for far too long.
A Safeway closed due to “loss prevention failure” so they claimed, on 214 near DC border and created huge food desert for residents in that area. Also factor in overpopulation in PG County where the stores damn near get picked clean before another restock. There are a couple Harris Teeter and Wegmans popping up and they are quite pricey.

Alot of people dont notice but its becoming a serious issue.
Our own grocery store chains and produce access really should have been priority one ever since.

Gonna take us a while to get to that. Most probably don't even know some own grocery stores period. We need to get our foot in the door then deal with chains

Halfway through the spook who sat by the door
Film is good
Would be good updated too
Need dude who did get out
To remake this
Watch it if y’all can
Might try to get the book later this week

Halfway through the spook who sat by the door
Film is good
Would be good updated too
Need dude who did get out
To remake this
Watch it if y’all can
Might try to get the book later this week
It's a goat movie just off the message and execution. He played the game and used their tactics against them. Even used their ignorance that a black man couldn't be the head of something like that against them.

l just watched The Spook Who Sat By The Door. Powerful movie. A lot of jewels was dropped. The lead was great.

Ain't no way hollywood would make a movie like that today.

Read the book back in ‘16. Read a book about Black Wall Street soon afterwards. Couldn’t believe there wasn’t a movie about BW and the riots in ‘21. Decided to write one myself.....

Slavery might have ended on paper after the Civil War, but many white landowners did everything they could to exploit newly freed slaves well into the 20th century. Thousands of black laborers across the South were forced to work against their will as late as the 1960s—a new form of enslavement that went on in the shadows of rural America.

VICE's Akil Gibbons traveled to Louisiana to meet genealogist Antoinette Harrell, the “slavery detective of the South," who tracks down cases of modern-day slavery and abusive labor practices. They talk to a man whose family was held on a plantation against their will into the 1950s, and Antoinette explains how she uses decades-old records to uncover how slavery was perpetuated long after the Civil War ended.

Back
Top Bottom