Black Culture Discussion Thread

Classifying black/mulatto plantation owners as benevolent actors who freed relatives
I'm sorry you couldn't understand what you read because that is not what I said. You keep inferring that all Black slave owners were also plantation owners who participated in the trade with the same motivations as their white counterparts:
1/ I don't know how you got that from what I posted.
2/ That inference does make you sound like a slavery apologist because they MAKE THE SAME DAMN ARGUMENT.

I guess I don't understand what's so controversial about acknowledging that two people/groups can commit the same transgression for very different motivations.

I also don't understand what's controversial about recognizing that throughout American history (in the South like in the North), race has been used as the main classifier for our caste system and that classification wasn't uniform (hence the comment about how non-white people of Antebellum Louisiana saw themselves vs how we see them today vs how other slave states would see them).

😂 if that’s how you feel, learned some new things from the discourse tho; even with y’all kinda talking past each other…he added some nuance that didn’t/doesn’t necessarily refute you’re general point
They asked for nuance and now, they're so mad they're lowkey calling me Oreo. :lol:

I definitely agree. The black experience used to be sort of common or in common. Now, not as singular.

Ever wondered if the black experience would be that common in the absence of Eurocentrism, white supremacy, and the resulting colonialism, imperialism, and slavery?

How do you explain that the further we have moved from the era of colonialism, the weaker Afrocentric movements in Africa have become?

Would you agree with me that the further a black person in this country can separate themselves from black-related issues (e.g climbing the economic ladder and shielding oneself from an unfair legal and economic system), the easier it becomes for them to not consider black rights in their political and socioeconomic calculus?

Ever wondered if the black experience would be that common in the absence of Eurocentrism, white supremacy, and the resulting colonialism, imperialism, and slavery?

How do you explain that the further we have moved from the era of colonialism, the weaker Afrocentric movements in Africa have become?

Would you agree with me that the further a black person in this country can separate themselves from black-related issues (e.g climbing the economic ladder and shielding oneself from an unfair legal and economic system), the easier it becomes for them to not consider black rights in their political and socioeconomic calculus?
Housing discrimination had a lot to do with it imo. In most places we were required to live together more than now.

giphy.gif

“As founder of Sankofa.org, I wanted to take a moment to update you. We have accomplished much; documentary films, community-based art installations, theatre plays, national campaigns that transform the ways Americans think about criminal justice, immigration, equality, equity, violence and so much more. It is time to pass the baton and I do so with confidence that my daughter Gina and her colleagues will carry on the mission of Sankofa.”

Screen-Shot-2022-02-04-at-4.43.12-PM-1200x900.jpg

- Harry Belafonte

Last edited:
Anyone surprised by Phil Jackson or expecting him to be an "ally" to Black folks isn't a serious person :lol: :smh:

Folks been knowing about Phil Jackson since the NBA's dress code 20 years ago...

This code mandated that players had to wear collared shirts and slacks or dress jeans to games. Players were also barred from wearing baseball caps or oversized jewelry when engaging in team-related activities.

Phil Jackson had been clamoring for such changes for a while at the time. His statement, as reported by The Sun, really lays out his highly questionable mindset regarding the upbringing of the league’s players – most of whom had made it out of the ‘hood:

“The players have been dressing in prison garb the last five or six years. All the stuff that goes on, it’s like gangster, thuggery stuff. It’s time. It’s been time to do that.”

“But one must remember where one came from. I was wearing bib overalls when I was a player one time. But I wasn’t going to the games or events in them.”

“To a majority of these young men, the rap stars, hip-hop guys are really kind of like heroes or colleagues . . . We even have some that are owners in the league. And it’s not the same audience. Our audience is corporate businessmen and businesswomen and kids.”

Personally - who cares what this rich old white dude has to say about anything?

He's a very rich and successful white retired basketball coach to me, not some pillar of social or racial justice.

What's really disappointing is more of us aren't talking about Harry Bellefonte :smh:

Now thats a man worth talking about in a Black Culture thread.

What's really disappointing is more of us aren't talking about Harry Bellefonte :smh:

We not doing this...

This pro black shh be an act for these characters. How you pro black and trying to assimilate into the white power structure.

As Umar Johnson would say, a negropean.

pah-54139244.jpg

da6241a46599a679bc352d61e00c207f.jpeg

gettyimages-112059426-612x612.jpg

Anyone surprised by Phil Jackson or expecting him to be an "ally" to Black folks isn't a serious person :lol: :smh:

Folks been knowing about Phil Jackson since the NBA's dress code 20 years ago...

This code mandated that players had to wear collared shirts and slacks or dress jeans to games. Players were also barred from wearing baseball caps or oversized jewelry when engaging in team-related activities.

Phil Jackson had been clamoring for such changes for a while at the time. His statement, as reported by The Sun, really lays out his highly questionable mindset regarding the upbringing of the league’s players – most of whom had made it out of the ‘hood:

“The players have been dressing in prison garb the last five or six years. All the stuff that goes on, it’s like gangster, thuggery stuff. It’s time. It’s been time to do that.”

“But one must remember where one came from. I was wearing bib overalls when I was a player one time. But I wasn’t going to the games or events in them.”

“To a majority of these young men, the rap stars, hip-hop guys are really kind of like heroes or colleagues . . . We even have some that are owners in the league. And it’s not the same audience. Our audience is corporate businessmen and businesswomen and kids.”

Personally - who cares what this rich old white dude has to say about anything?

He's a very rich and successful white retired basketball coach to me, not some pillar of social or racial justice.

The message gets lost when it's delivered by a P Jackson type. I watched Kyle Kuzma show up for a game a couple times and wanted dress code reforms myself :lol:

We not doing this...

This pro black shh be an act for these characters. How you pro black and trying to assimilate into the white power structure.

As Umar Johnson would say, a negropean.

pah-54139244.jpg

da6241a46599a679bc352d61e00c207f.jpeg

gettyimages-112059426-612x612.jpg

You know he’s BIRACIAL…? He’s from the Islands as well. You can be pro black and still acknowledge both your heritages. He couldn’t help being mulatto.

Harry Belafonte was ALWAYS on the front line. Y’all dudes ain’t even live during those eras and discredit these dudes.

These guys actually lived in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s and had their chest poked out. Y’all have it made in the shade compared to our elders

You know he’s BIRACIAL…? He’s from the Islands as well. You can be pro black and still acknowledge both your heritages. He couldn’t help being mulatto.

Harry Belafonte was ALWAYS on the front line. Y’all dudes ain’t even live during those eras and discredit these dudes.

These guys actually lived in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s and had their chest poked out. Y’all have it made in the shade compared to our elders
His mom and dad were biracial. They were from the islands.

Not tryna discredit him but tired of dudes tryna prop up some dudes as beacons. Just like slavery. You had the house slaves and field slaves and we all know how that was by design. Mans was just playing the role of proxy.

Come on b,

He wasn't running around cosplaying as an activist.

So Harry was Cosplaying? Him being biracial means his grandparents were white and black. Again, he’s not far removed from his white side.

Harry, as I said was always on the frontline. Wasn’t anything phony about that dude. He’s not supposed to embrace his white side, while still calling them out? He could’ve easily tucked his tail and only rallied with the white people.

Harry Belafonte was always affiliated with the movement.

Not tryna discredit him but tired of dudes tryna prop up some dudes as beacons. Just like slavery. You had the house slaves and field slaves and we all know how that was by design. Mans was just playing the role of proxy.
Frederick Douglas married a white woman. Would you say he isn't for the cause? There are plenty of people from the Islands who were for the cause. Malcom's mother is from Grenada and an activist. Due to the work that she and her husband did, their family was essentially uprooted and displaced. If that doesn't say for the cause, then I don't know what is.

No one is trying to prop him up. It’s called respecting those who have passed to other side of life.

Back
Top Bottom